Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what effects chasms/bottomless pits  (Read 1182 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what effects chasms/bottomless pits
« on: March 09, 2009, 06:23:45 pm »

i was just wondering what it was that affected how many chasms there are when creating a new world. the wiki doesn't seem to say anything about it.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: what effects chasms/bottomless pits
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:37:08 pm »

It's very simple... there is a chasm, bottomless pit, underground lake and underground river, as well as HFS in every 'mountain/hill' terrain tile. Or at least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 06:59:47 pm »

alright can i get another question asked? what affects sedimentary layers not being found near magma? i know its possible to get a sediment layer and magma in the same area.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:06:39 pm »

Volcanic areas have igneous rock layers, not sedimentary. To get magma with flux, you need to find a region that straddles the border between volcanic and flatland, AND the magma pipe has to be placed in the flatland area.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 02:00:39 am »

It's very simple... there is a chasm, bottomless pit, underground lake and underground river, as well as HFS in every 'mountain/hill' terrain tile. Or at least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

by "mountain/hill terrain tile", you mean at the regional level at least (possibly the world level).  not at the local level.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 08:41:22 am »

Right. Much like the volcano in a desert, you can get chasms in the foothills adjacent to mountain tiles.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 01:02:38 pm »

by "mountain/hill terrain tile", you mean at the regional level at least (possibly the world level).  not at the local level.

It's regional.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 03:28:48 pm »

To get magma and sedimentary near each other, I've had reasonable luck by setting the volcanism variance to be high (1600 is max, unless you want to manually edit the world_gen.txt file), requiring a high number of volcanoes, and having hundreds of river start locations.  That last part seems important to get the sedimentary layers.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:33:33 pm by Exponent »