Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Error with workshop layout?  (Read 794 times)

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
Error with workshop layout?
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:11:01 pm »

I was digging out rooms for magma storage, like so. But, I made a small error, in building the rooms like this:

XXX
X_X
XXX

X is a workshop space, _ is a channel.

Now, I suddenly realized the obvious flaw in this design when I figured out that being in the exact center, dwarves are liable to, upon using the workshop, fall INTO the channel, and burn up thanks to the magma below. The only thing I can think of to fix the error is a grate over the channel. But can a workshop still be built and work as intended like this? Is there any other way to remedy the problem?
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Error with workshop layout?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:12:56 pm »

Construct a floor. While you cannot engrave constructed floors, you can build workshops, furniture, stockpiles, traps, or anything else except for constructed walls.

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:34:21 pm »

If the magma isn't there yet you could just build a wall in the spot below that and you'd be set.
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 02:45:49 pm »

Would the magma forges still operate? If not, does that mean I will have to rebuild them elsewhere?

Sans context.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 02:47:45 pm »

It would be preferable for the channel for magma workshops to be placed under the top middle tile. It is inaccessible, and thus nothing can go in or out of that tile. Also, dwarves only work in the center and thus would be unable to use the workshop.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 06:02:05 am »

I fixed the problem by flooring over the center and channeling the necassary tiles. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sans context.