Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with Mayday  (Read 1104 times)

kavok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with Mayday
« on: March 10, 2009, 11:54:26 am »

Hi all, I need some help with the mayday tileset. I grabbed it from here:
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm

The graphics look really squished/tiny/small up towards the top of my screen. I run 1920x1200. I tried switching my resolution to 1280x1024 but it looked the same.

How can I make this work for 1920x1200?

On a side note, does this download use the 40d9 release?

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Mayday
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:11:30 pm »

Afaik it's 40d9, I had to adjust tweak to get it working for 40d9.

Code: [Select]
If this is set to YES, the tiles will not be stretched, but rather the game view will be centralized, surrounded by black space.  Tiles that are too large will always be compressed rather than running off the screen.

[BLACK_SPACE:NO]

Graphics info, most of it as above.  Set GRAPHICS to YES to turn it all on.  This will use the "raw/graphics" folder for tile information.  Currently this is limited to whatever creature graphics you have downloaded.  The game comes with a few pictures to demonstrate.  As of September 2008, the Dwarf Fortress Wiki has graphical tilesets available at http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/List_of_user_graphics_sets.

[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1600]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:1200]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:maydayMAX.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1600]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:1200]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:maydayMAX.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

This is the dimensions in tiles of the display grid.  Minimum x is 80.  Minimum y is 25.  Maximums are 200.  Make sure the window size or full screen resolution matches the grid/tile size if you don't want the display to be squashed or stretched.  The default windowed font has tiles that are 8x12 pixels, for instance, so for a 80x25 grid, you use a 640x300 window, and for a 125x50 grid, you'd use a 1000x600 window.  FULLGRID is used in full screen mode, whether graphics is on or not.

[GRID:100:75]
[FULLGRID:100:75]

^^^ that should pretty much set you up since we both use the same vertical resolution. If it looks stretched horizontally just set black_space to yes.
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

kavok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:14:33 pm »

Still no luck, it looks like this with those settings and blackspace yes/no doesnt seem to matter.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 05:48:50 pm »

...that's completely normal.

DF is currently designed to run with a grid size of 80x25, which was the only grid size available til recently. Most stuff isn't updated to take advantage of a larger grid yet

Myself, I use 80x60, which fits my screen nicely. If I had a 16:9 screen, I'd probably use 80:45.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

kavok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 07:00:52 pm »

Thats normal? This is what the game looks like vanilla without Mayday:

Which is MUCH better.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 07:45:46 pm »

Which is MUCH better.

HI! You see that yellow text at the top of your game screen? It's in both pictures, kinda hard to miss.

In case you still can't see it, I'll highlight the relevant portion for you: NOTICE - THIS IS AN ALPHA.

Thank you for your time. The main screen does not display properly at massive resolutions (the original (mayday less) game ran in a TINY window FYI). The first picture you posted is how it looks for EVERYONE running large resolutions. Live with it. When you embark, the game window will fill up the screen properly, though not all menus work with adjustable resolutions yet.

It's not like your going to spend all your time staring at the start up screen anyway, so it hardly matters.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 08:13:00 pm »

(image)

Which is MUCH better.

the default graphics have tiles which are taller than they are wide. mayday's graphics are square. the main menu and some of the ingame menu's will stick to the top of the screen, but the graphics/play area ingame will still fill up the screen (with the proper settings).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 04:31:11 am »

-snip-

Which is MUCH better.

Wait, you LIKE the crazy squashed tiles? I can't stand them.

TCHJ3K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 04:56:07 am »

The mayday tile set is square, so the text looks all smooshed (or, more corecctly, stretched out horizontally) and the title screen is a fixed grid size so it won't actually fill the screen. Get past the title screen, get into the game itself and see how it looks.

kavok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:52:06 am »

This is mayday after embark, default init:

This is vanilla after embark:

The may day is usable, but is there anyway to "zoom in" (probably not the right word) a bit more? It feels somewhat far away.

TCHJ3K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 08:35:39 am »

Try changing the grid size in the init file. Divide the horizontal and vertical resolution of your screen by your desired tile size, and use that for the grid size. That should force the game to stretch out the tiles to fit, which will basically give you fewer, larger tiles on screen at once.