Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing Frequency of Stone Types  (Read 620 times)

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
Changing Frequency of Stone Types
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:33:14 pm »

My last five maps in 40d have been... shall we say a little light on usable stones. I get a shedload of Gabbro, Bauxite, etc but sod all by way of Hematite, Malachite, Gold, etc. What I'd like to know is, what do I have to change in Stone_Layer, Stone_Mineral, and/or Stone_Soil to increase various mineral types.

My first few forays into modifying these files have produced... erm... "odd" results (10 layers of sandy peat over an entire world is not what I was aiming for!

Any help would be much appreciated
By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

FoboslC

Re: Changing Frequency of Stone Types
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 03:09:17 pm »

Might want to check this thread

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 02:20:25 am »

What are you trying to achieve?

Do you want to find more metal types in more types of stone layers? Such as magnetite in obsidian layers?

Do you just want to find more useful ores versus the less useful ores, while keeping all ores restrained to their vanilla stone layers?

Do you want to add MORE minerals and things to the existing game?

--------------------------------
NOTE: :SMALL_CLUSTER: might not be the true tag name, check your raws.

Now, some general things you might want to consider: First, change all of the :CLUSTER: (maybe leave it on bauxite and magnetite if you want) tags to :SMALL_CLUSTER: or :VEIN:. This will remove those huge patches of randomly colored rock (alunite, gypsum, olivine and microcline to name a few) and replace them with smaller patches/veins. In my experience (not much) I _seemed_ to get more veins of ore/useful stuff when I converted all the :CLUSTER: tags to :SMALL_CLUSTER: (this may or may not have an effect on gem populations, so I've taken to just removing the annoying stones you find all over from the game entirely).

Another thing you might consider (depending on how world gen works) is duplicating the important metal ores (hematite, b coal, etc) in the raws, so you have [MATGLOSS_STONE:HEMATITE] [the other tags] followed by [MATGLOSS_STONE:HEMATITE2] [the other tags], etc. From what I gather, the various ores and things compete for places on your map at gen(less likely)/embark(likely) time.

So if you have a gabbro layer, and obsidian layer and a dolomite layer (ha!) on the same map, the various matgloss_minerals will get selected at embark. All of the possible minerals (and gems, mind) that can appear in gabbro will be sorted through, and the game randomly(?) selects them to occupy spaces on your map. lots of map squares get the big huge CLUSTER minerals, and then the game throws in some veins, and then scatters gems all over the place.

So by increasing the number of [MATGLOSS_STONE:HEMATITE2] entries in your matgloss_mineral file, you should up the odds of the game placing that instead of some other vein. (This is all hearsay/best guess. I'm still playing around with gens and adding/removing matgloss entries, and don't really have anything concrete)

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:57:23 am »

Do you just want to find more useful ores versus the less useful ores, while keeping all ores restrained to their vanilla stone layers?
That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve - many thanks for the pointers, I think I now see where I was screwing up and generating Mud-World all the time :) Off to play with the raws and see what I can get. Thanks again
By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 08:32:34 am »

Just wait until you generate a layer of "Rock". The stuff weighs a ton, contains no minerals, replaces EVERYTHING, and is the ugliest shade of grey you'll ever see.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.