Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Triangle Wizard  (Read 16969 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Triangle Wizard
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 01:51:51 pm »

I looked at screenshots and played it for a few seconds. It's the definition of an insane roguelike.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 04:39:26 pm »

Yep, some nice gains all this while being generally out of the spotlight compared to some of the other content-rich Roguelikes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 05:39:19 pm »

Geez. Subforum page 3, after only just over a day.
This subforum almost seems to be more active than the DF specific forums.
Another bump, to keep this topic on page one for a few more hours.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 06:00:04 pm »

It's kind of unfortunate that you can't play a berserker through the entire game without getting some type of ranged magic. I've tried twice now, and each time I was defeated by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's literally no way I can drop his health using melee combat. But then again I guess it IS called triangle wizard. Ah well.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 04:46:15 pm »

It's kind of unfortunate that you can't play a berserker through the entire game without getting some type of ranged magic. I've tried twice now, and each time I was defeated by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's literally no way I can drop his health using melee combat. But then again I guess it IS called triangle wizard. Ah well.
Obviously you need some kind of ranged magic, especially since spells are the majority of the game.
And you can use a cast of turn undead to stop anything undead's regeneration, so just use a cast of that first then you can melee him to death.

My current build (and only one to be really successful) is a Mechayon Energist.
Right now he's level 27 or so, and has easily beaten every single enemy and boss without any real trouble through the liberal application of Chain Lightning (if they have +100% electricity resistance I hit them with a malediction first).
It's so easy infact, that I would recommend it to anyone if they have had trouble with the game (just pump as many levels into chain lightning as you can, and basically ignore all other summoning/damage spells). Your ability to ignore 20% of their electricity resistance allows you to use it to basically kill anything (even if they have near or at 100% electricity immunity, although if they have +150% resistance you still have to switch to another damage type), and it is so easy to hit and does so much damage, that after you get going their isn't really a point in switching to another spell they aren't immune to to kill them.

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 02:45:20 am »

I've only just found this game, and damn is it addictive. And so pretty when you get some spells going. Now up to version 12.03 and getting better all the time....

I agree about the Chain Lightning spell. It helps so much early on, everything else seems crap.

A few other combo's that I found excellent were:
Gnome Shaman of Xi (Vapourise targets through walls with spiders to back you up)
Efreet Assasin of Ragnorous (all damage types backed with a nice flame wave)
Nymph "anything" of Bacchus (you'll regenerate any spell, very quickly).

Just mucking about with projectile builds with Gemini as my god. Once I get targeting down it should be great.

Try this game, it's free and frighteningly addictive.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:23:03 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 03:58:23 am »

Chain lightning doesn't just help early on, it helps consistently, and never once is weak (and with 20% damage ignore from mechyon energist) even against 100% immune enemies is nearly unrivaled, and as it levels improves both DPS and enemies you can hit at once (by the end of the game you can hit every enemy on the screen 6 times per second), honestly, i think it got even stronger as the game went on, killing enemies in about the same amount of time at lv 1 as at the end of the game.

Yeah, Mechyon Energist of shaco is the way to go.

Shaco is a pretty awesome god, and besides the annoyance at having to press DEL+enter at every useless powerup, essentially doubles your power up potential.

By the time my guy got to the end of the game he dealt more then 1000 DPS against every enemy on the screen (without any miss and no real way to block), and the final boss took about 10 seconds once I cancelled his bless so I could deal some damage.

And honestly, I haven't seen a single (damage spell) spell that could honestly compete with chain lighting (part of it was that I was specced for lightning attacks but that's only part of it I think).

Projectile spells: often miss at any distance besides super close, can only hit one enemy
AOE/ AOE DOT spells: Long cool down time, can often damage you as well, don't do significant damage to a single enemy
Summons: Not quite sure how they fare late game at super high powers, when I got to the end I only had ~lv 20 summons, and they were pretty useless, obviously some summons are crazy powerful early-mid game (empowered anything, pretty much any summon besides summon boar/spider), late game I had my summons get two hit by bosses and hit to the other side of the screen by bosses, meaning anything besides summon hero would be pretty useless (which MIGHT be useful on its own).

Just mucking about with projectile builds with Gemini as my god. Once I get targeting down it should be great.
He sounds like a pretty beast god in theory, but honestly the way projectile doubling works makes him a dealbreaker for me for.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 04:46:57 am »

Yeah, summon hero can do some pretty beastly things. Great for a marshall (especially of the summoning god) or a nymph of chei.

One game I found a summon hero spell on level one, just the one charge. When I cast it (empowered) it gave me a level 32(!) hero with 280 hit-points and some nice spells. Damn that was fun until I got splatted by a trap that I didn't bother checking the type of. I don't really remember what class I was, it was just a matter of dodging stuff until he wiped them all. Sometimes the game does some weird things with empowered spells.
It's a game. Have fun.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 04:14:34 pm »

A pure-melee berserker is neigh-impossible. If you want to melee, and forego ranged damage spells, there's still ways to get by though.
What you need, is Malediction. It lowers enemy resists.
Malediction is awesome.
Repeat, Malediction is awesome.
Add some Dark Gift, Fire Halo, and Cloak of Winter and you will deal a whole lot of different damage types at once, which will really help as a lot of monsters have immunities to one or a few damage types.
And then there's items. Do not underestimate equipment. I once found an axe that did a whopping 144-380 damage per hit.

The game advises to have about 7-8 spells max. I would like to disagree. I'd say, have 8-10 spells which you level up. Apart from that, you can take as many spell upgrades, and spell incantations of any spell you like, as long as you do not increase their spell level (too much). Only spell level influences drop rate. The number of incantations, the regeneration rate or the incantation capacity do not influence drop rates at all. (Higher spell levels increase the chance an upgrade for that spell will be randomly generated on a dungeon level)

That said, some must haves for any character:
- Healing Water. Cures most status effects. Status cure works at level 1. HP cure sucks, unless spell is really high level. I tend not to level it, but take all regen and incantation storage that I can find.
- Remedy, level 7 or higher. Cures disease. Some diseases are *really* nasty. Do not let it regenerate unless it's base level is 7+. A level 1 Remedy will cast as a level 7 when empowered.
- either Evaporate wall, Fireball, Teleport, Great Hail, or Summon Elemental Servant: Earth, to be able to destroy walls. No need to level those. There's also a talent that enables the destruction of walls with the Raise Wall spell.
- Call Familiar. Everyone wants a Familiar. Try not to get regeneration in this one, but do level it. Note that you can feed your familiar powerups. Also note, that spell levels in a spell that your Familiar has learned do not affect drop rates. Hint: set it's behaviour to defensive, unless the RNG gives you a really tough Familiar.
- Malediction. Just get it, and level it.
- Dispel Magic. Life-saver.

And then, some highly recommended spells:
- Some kind of summon. Meat. Shield.
- Mind Decay. One of the best single target homing projectile spells there is. Can only be negated by Dispel Magic.
- Vaporize. One of the best single target direct damage spells (that can be cast through walls).
- Bless. Because you need those resistances.
- Wind Walking. Because flying is cool. A lot of spells can't hit you, and lava/water/poisoned water won't hurt you when you fly. You could ofcourse also just start the game with one of the flying races. In that case skip this spell.
- Arcane Sanctum. Prevents a lot of status effects, including confusion. Works at spell level 1. Or, you could start a character that worships Tydei, the Godess of Anagrams, and get confusion immunity that way.

Some final hints:
- Shift+H enables the ingame wiki. After that, press P to unblock the spoilers.
- Shift+F7 is your friend. It casts any selected beneficial spell on all your allies in range, or any selected malignant spell on all enemies in range. Spell cooldown can get extremely long though, if a lot of incantations are cast at once.
- Use F5 in your spell screen to set a spell to be autocast on yourself when you enter a level (you can select more than one)
- Use F6,7,8 when in your spell screen to turn off persistancy casting for specific spells
- there are some really nice talents. You can also wish for them.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:33:42 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 04:48:01 pm »

I would highly recommend haste and teleport as well. Not because they are super helpful in combat (which they are, being able to run faster then your enemies spells really helps), but because they help you complete the game so much quicker then otherwise.

And then there's items. Do not underestimate equipment. I once found an axe that did a whopping 144-380 damage per hit.
I once found a weapon that doubled my electric damage, and another one that had 12 slots for gems (which with a conservative estimate, could add a total of 240 points of resistances)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2011, 06:06:29 pm »

As a question, does an efreet's in-built fire-halo and the spell stack? It get's hard to tell when there's a zillion coloured numbers popping up in each battle. Might be a nice pip of extra damage for a melee wizard.

There's so many race/class/god combo's in this game to try. Most of them do play a little differently as well. I've just got to stay away from the chain-lightning. It really does rock too hard.
It's a game. Have fun.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2011, 06:14:55 pm »

Elementalist seems to be a bit of a gamble... you might get a geomancer with glass spray, in which case you can murder everything pretty easily, or you might get an aquamancer without any decent offensive spells... :\

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 06:39:15 pm »

On the berserker side of things, try Tir-Jahar as your god. It's gimmiky, but walk through walls solves 90% of early game problems. As long as there's no wall destroyers or smite targeters, you'll always have the breathing room you need,

Throw on persistant haste, set right-click to run and the go berserking through anything. It's gimmicky but fun.

On the spell level thing, I guess that means that as long as my main spells are levelled a bit higher than anything else, I can pick up anything other than spell levels for the rest? Should I fill my book with a bunch of level 1 spells after I've levelled the main ones, or does it still spread your chances too wide?
It's a game. Have fun.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 07:00:25 pm »

On the berserker side of things, try Tir-Jahar as your god. It's gimmiky, but walk through walls solves 90% of early game problems. As long as there's no wall destroyers or smite targeters, you'll always have the breathing room you need,

Throw on persistant haste, set right-click to run and the go berserking through anything. It's gimmicky but fun.

On the spell level thing, I guess that means that as long as my main spells are levelled a bit higher than anything else, I can pick up anything other than spell levels for the rest? Should I fill my book with a bunch of level 1 spells after I've levelled the main ones, or does it still spread your chances too wide?
You should fill your books with a bunch of level one spells, but ideally you should only have a single main offense spell that you level up significantly (and probably 1 or 2 summons), non-offense spells are exceptions (eg. level up haste for super speed) generally, although you shouldn't let yourself get too spread out on them either

Elementalist seems to be a bit of a gamble... you might get a geomancer with glass spray, in which case you can murder everything pretty easily, or you might get an aquamancer without any decent offensive spells... :\
If you can bother to re-roll until you get a good batch of spells, then its pretty great, otherwise you have a fair chance of being in major trouble.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 07:29:34 pm »

Actually just rolled a nymph elementalist of bacchus. Stoning, Entangle, Slow, Earth Elemental and Glass Spray for it's spells. Malediction right next to me. I can branch out later as well (regen anything).

I give myself 5 mins to kill the poor nymph off :)
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7