Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Triangle Wizard  (Read 16948 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Triangle Wizard
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2018, 06:11:23 pm »

The poison dart spell (the one that assassins use) has a pretty ridiculous fire rate. It might not do great damage, but if you can link it with something that does, it's pretty good. Yes, that means Ragnoros. Although, I wonder how the +7 (or is it +11) casting speed god would go as a machine gun build? Assassins randomly determine damage type, so resistance/immunities might not be too much of a problem, but the damage is SO low.....

Vaporize is the same, except that it goes through walls. Still very nice when Fire Elementals cast is for you (which links in beautifully as an Efreet/Nomad of Ragnaros burninating stuff, because they're fire immune too).

A troll berserker of Mystra isn't terrible as a melee build. It's like you're a heavy slugger with a shotgun (the Q key is your shotgun). Zenithar for the weapon shopping might be worthwhile too. An Angel Berserker of the Gnarl (or Tir-Jahal for wall walking cheese) might be OK, using jump-teleports to get into and out of situations more easily.

Stuff like warforks are actually pretty good on range, even if they're not on damage. Might be better than bumping. I actually miss my right-click run, and hardly ever using right-click melee effectively anyway (I prefer to stack aura spells for bumping and then just charge at them).

I've got today off, and it's raining, so I'll have a crack at TW for a few hours and try some things out.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:52:41 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2018, 08:37:48 pm »

I'm not far enough to really judge, but a Werewolf Stormseeker (priest) of Stratos seems to be shaping up into a pretty good melee character. Chain lightning melee attacks and decent health regen and charged bolts is a glorious thing :)

Haven't even found a weapon yet. I've got a slight idea that it won't really keep up damage-wise, but still, Lightning Wolf.

Since the added spell casting delay of 17.01 onwards, you really want you spells to count. If they happen to be free bumping spells while you're casting something else, all the better.

Don't worry about the tiny damage numbers appearing everywhere. That's the bonus damage from your god. It's still casting chain lightning at your character's level. Now I just need some auras on this puppy, and a decent weapon, and I'm good to go. I'm not actually sure if it's scaling the lightning off my melee damage or my character level, but I'm guessing the latter.

Edit: seems to work. Bought a bec-de-corbin and I'm running through the ruins pretty easily. I'm actually hitting with my melee right-click pretty well too. Bumping or right-click procs the chain lightning, and while it isn't heaps of damage, combined with a charged bolt wind-up that's levelling alongside my character level, it all does a fair bit of close ranged AoE electrical damage on top of about 25-30 whatever melee for the weapon swings. Still really early, but it has potential. The cyclone blasts attached to my charged bolts don't seem to cause too many problems either.

Even though Nymphs are most definitely not my go-to race for melee characters, I'm going to try one of them, just to stack auras and summons and stuff. Autocasting Fire Halo, Tendrils of Darkness and being able to replenish low level summons and healing might be far more cost and damage effective than it sounds when backed with basic Stormseeker stuff. Free spell regen is great. Empowered spells are awesome, but when going melee, I think a certain amount of sustain will be better.

Edit 2: Some spell casting delays seem WAY too high. What were at least marginally useful spells have turned into barely fireable ones. And so in comparison, made stuff like chain lightning even better. Everything is worse, but the good stuff is now so much better compared to lots of previously "OK'ish" spells. Hopefully Wouter goes through and lowers the delay of heaps of stuff at lower levels next version, so there's more viable variety in classes.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:59:00 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Coffeespoons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2018, 01:22:48 am »

Great to see some more activity on this board about this terrific little game.

I've a few questions/observations/suggestions which perhaps someone could answer.

What does nimble mean in the race backgrounds?
Presumably there still isn't a way to forget spells?
What's the significance of "is loved" in various class descriptions?
What are the additional boons that paragon class can receive after maxing resists?
The shrine spoilers are incomplete.  Got a couple of new ones, one of which I couldn't figure out.
Is there any point in buying items with no printed powers such as level 1 capes and rings?

I've a few suggestions which I'll forward onto Wouter

The new resolution support is great - so much better with higher numbers although ideally I'd like to rescale the health bars.
Pressing f3 for the spell text has a minor issue that the text is obscured bottom right with other text from an earlier screen
I started a game in a 1v1 room with up/down stairs on top of each other and no other area accessible.
Patch list is out-of-order (pretty minor, I know)
Trap generated on top of item in shop which meant I couldn’t ID the item
Please don’t re-gen race-class-deity when change name
Default to last picked race-class-deity
I do wish the mouse wheel would scroll through all available spells even empowered ones. 
The can't-cast due to stamina depletion is somewhat obscure
I agree about the casting delays
I know Wouter has explained that he doesn't think sound necessary but as a compromise what about generating a number of named subdirectories into which we could drop .m3 files for particular circumstances such as "low health warning" or "level up"?
The deity quests at low level seem to be certain death.  The player is rather pushed into them though.  Perhaps this needs a rebalance or clear warning?
Is there any reason why gems can't be fitted to equipped items?  It seems unnecessarily fiddly to unequip-equip.

I wonder if the priest class should be flagged up as special in some way - there's an unbelievable amount of work to generate individual names for each of them plus the additional powers and it's kinda hidden.

I do find that reverting to conventional text in a number of cases is really distracting - talking to the shopkeeper for instance.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:25:10 am by Coffeespoons »

Coffeespoons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2018, 02:52:56 am »

I'm having some trouble with changing the resolution on my laptop incidentally.  The mouse if often locked to a rectangle in the top left of the screen.  It's also flipping resolution mid-game, last time on the Umbar boss level.  Odd.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2018, 03:00:18 am »

Have you tried hitting the escape key and taking it out of windowed mode? TW doesn't usually use the full window at any "normal" resolution, is ever so good at scaling graphics anyway, so that might fix it on some displays. Just hit Esc and select the windowed mode option (it might be under "advanced" or "more options"), and see if that fixes it. That'll take it out of "windowed mode". It should just rescale to your display res if you're lucky.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:05:29 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2018, 07:11:59 am »

Great to see some more activity on this board about this terrific little game.

I've a few questions/observations/suggestions which perhaps someone could answer.

What does nimble mean in the race backgrounds?
Presumably there still isn't a way to forget spells?
What's the significance of "is loved" in various class descriptions?
What are the additional boons that paragon class can receive after maxing resists?
The shrine spoilers are incomplete.  Got a couple of new ones, one of which I couldn't figure out.
Is there any point in buying items with no printed powers such as level 1 capes and rings?
Nimble is movement speed, far as I can tell.

There's ways to forget a spell via shrines, iirc. Is just fairly random, heh. There's probably a method via console.

Pretty sure loved is chance of encountering friendly critters.

No clue about paragon. If you're really curious, you can probably do something with the console, or just whack the game with cheat engine (or your preferred other memory editor) and max out your resists so you can see for yourself.

So far as shrine spoilers go, do make sure to check the descriptions in the spoilers to see if they have alternate names. Without knowing more about the shrine(s) in question that's the best advice I can give, heh.

Empty/plain items... weapons are obvious, since even otherwise empty ones change your right-click weapon shape. The rest of them actually do have a use via shrine interaction -- there's a few that can modify items you're wearing/toting around, and they'll hit plain stuff just as well. You can also haul them off to be sold for a little extra gold, and (though I haven't actually tried it) possibly drag them down stairs and dump them on the floor as fodder for the handyman's quest. Few small things, basically.

E: Actually, the game files are apparently plain text readable, so here's the (unformatted, because it's way too early to deal with that when it's plenty readable as is) paragon spoiler:
Spoiler: is spoiler, if mild (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:18:27 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Coffeespoons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2018, 09:22:26 am »

Thanks for the above.  The resolution error was caused by having a text size > 100% in windows it seems.

Not sure about your take on nimble - isn’t fast/slow also referred to in race descriptions?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2018, 10:23:00 am »

Eh, 'tis. Was making the deduction based on nothing (that I noticed, anyway) being slow/nimble or not-nimble/fast. Find-in-file answers the question, though:
Quote from: Line 8404 of core_encyclopedia.tec
entry=Nimble is a catch-all term meaning better stamina regeneration and or jump height.
Ask not!
Ask!

Coffeespoons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2018, 11:06:36 am »

Could I add another, probably damnfool question?

What is the significance of the icons next to the stamina bar. Sometimes it’s a flag and sometimes a two fingered gesture.

I think it’s a little tight to have removed all health regen for some starting characters.  Unless I’ve missed something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2018, 11:42:35 am »

Minion/ally orders. Default's x to cycle between options.
Ask not!
Ask!

Coffeespoons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2018, 05:08:40 am »

Having much fun with Gechen priest run.  Lots of items.  There's alot of humour buried in the artifact list, much of it nods to other games - particularly Diablo.

I'm sporting a rod with with both quicker spellcasting and increased focus - any idea on the difference between these two? 

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2018, 08:38:05 am »

I think focus is the new "casting this spell takes this long" bit, while quicker spellcasting is the time between those castings being reduced.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]