Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better mass tile editing?  (Read 1359 times)

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better mass tile editing?
« on: March 10, 2009, 05:54:13 pm »

The tile editor tools I can find have complex enough options BUT can only do 1 tile at a time OR have very limited/simple options BUT can do many tiles at a time.

Is there a tile editor that you can designate an area? Like put the cursor at (X1,Y1,Z1), confirm on the tool GUI, move the cursor to (X2,Y2,Z2) and it edits all the tile flags within the block you designate? The many tile editors I can find are limited to doing only batches of tiles with all the same flag (IE ALL water tiles or ALL gold ore).

I'm trying to find something I can use to create a 2D era map layout.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Better mass tile editing?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:16:32 pm »

You should be able to use Exponents for each tile to do that. You can use traffic designations with Eponents.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:54:34 pm »

Nope. Very limited what I can change things to. Can't make stone that isn't already there. Great for messing with liquids though.

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:12:57 pm »

Well, For Each Tile does have the ability to edit tiles' raw data, matgloss id, and the like. I haven't done any research into it yet - but I believe it should be possible to use that to play with tile type and such.
Feeling dumb is just nature's way of telling you you're still learning.
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 08:54:28 am »

You most certainly can. I use For Each Tile to add sand to every map I embark on. You can even turn open space into a solid, natural wall you can mine out or mark as subterranean. It takes a little work to set up the macros, but it's not hard.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:12:26 pm »

Best. News. Ever.
TELL! NOW!

Err, I mean... Please tell us how? Or at least where to get the info? :D
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:14:25 pm »

I don't have my utility folder at hand right now, so I'll edit later tonight if I find I'm wrong, but there are methods for "get_type" and "set_type". You need to have get_type as the parameter to print or println to actually see the output, then type that in for the set_type.

If you're programming-impaired, I invite you to hold your breath. I'll post my specific macros later.

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 05:59:23 pm »

I don't have my utility folder at hand right now, so I'll edit later tonight if I find I'm wrong, but there are methods for "get_type" and "set_type". You need to have get_type as the parameter to print or println to actually see the output, then type that in for the set_type.

If you're programming-impaired, I invite you to hold your breath. I'll post my specific macros later.
Println, you say? Where will that print to, I wonder? *traipses off to find out*

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 06:29:47 pm »

For the love of all that is dwarfy, post your scripts!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 07:09:18 pm »

Okay, here's the hack:

Function for reading tile data

The text at the bottom is the output from DF for Red Sand, but the numbers don't produce predictable results. Sometimes changing the matgloss id will change the tile's material, sometimes it won't. I do know that the following command reliably produces sand, somehow:

set_type("SoilWall");

That's good enough for me. If you want a fortress built out of engraved native platinum, good luck!

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 07:35:38 pm »

VERY thank you. :D This will be awesome!