Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing trading and immigration.  (Read 607 times)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Removing trading and immigration.
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:05:46 pm »

I wish to create a survivalist themed game where you are controlling the last dwarves in the world.  You will never receive immigrates and traders will never come.  How can I do this?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Removing trading and immigration.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:18:54 pm »

Set the population cap in the init.txt file to 1 and ignore the caravans.  This way you don't have to generate a new world.  Seriously, if you don't want to use them, just don't. 

Everyone wants to solve it with modding instead, like the real-world obesity problem.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:59:32 pm »

Or generate a world where all the dwarves have died. There are a couple of topics about those.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:00:12 pm »

Download this.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:51:05 pm »

Or, if you want a modded world, change the dwarf entity to start with only one breeding pair and a maximum population of 2, and let history run for at least 300 years. That way, Adam and Eve can't have children, nor can they survive world gen, so you're guaranteed to get an "extinct dwarf" world.

Remember that you only get one fort like this, though. If you abandon a fort, future forts will get immigrants (though no caravans. Or nobles, I think).
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 01:03:00 pm »

It seems that if you do not trade, goblins and kobolds will never come after you and your stuff. I did some testing, but I'm not sure yet, though that [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE] tag certainly isn't just for show...

I will continue my experiments, but is someone perhaps able to provide more accurate information already? And if the sad fact is confirmed, can removing the tag be a workaround to that?

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 01:14:53 pm »

Toss some crafts near the edge of the map. Successful kobold thievery might work (and will definitely cause kobold ambushes, at least).
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:59:24 am »

The [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:?] tag does do something. A possible workaround would be to change the tag to [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:?] so that they show up when your population gets large enough, or to [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:?] so they show up when you have generated enough wealth, but you don't have to trade it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.