Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob question  (Read 471 times)

Kazmahu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Noob question
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:10:50 am »

Hello all! I'm completely new to both DF and these forums, so sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway, I have a completely basic question: how do you change water so it appears as depth numbers, rather than generic symbols? Sorry to bother everyone with something that's no doubt simple, but I can;t find instructions for it anywhere else.

Thanks in advance!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:25:42 am »

Take a look in your init file (should be /data/init/init.txt or something similar).

It has veeeery many useful things in it. What you want should be called something descriptive enough that you'll recognize it, and most things (including that) have little explanations with them.

I also suggest turning on the "full history in dwarf mode" option in that file. It'll show you the stories/names/etc behind engravings/images when you view them in the game.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kazmahu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:38:28 am »

I've seen that file name floating around and thought it might have something to do with it. I've just developed a bit of paranoia about meddling with running files after my last disastorous modding attemps. Thanks for the tips!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 08:29:54 am »

init.txt is actually very well documented. The raws are minimalist, and have a somewhat obtuse organization at times. Changing program settings was meant to be easy. Modding game mechanics was meant for experts. Give it time. Soon, you will learn the power of the dark side reactions file.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 02:39:15 pm »

One thing about init.txt that is not documented is that it is UPPERCASE-ONLY.  That bit me the first time I edited the options in it.