Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The soul :3  (Read 1302 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
The soul :3
« on: March 11, 2009, 12:25:02 pm »

I would like to make a inteligent creature drop along with their corpse a soul. this soul I would like to make so that they can be smelted with steel to make soul steel which would be better then regular steel. how would i make dwarfs, elfs, and humans drop souls on death and then how would I mod the smelting and weapon making?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:36:08 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The soul :3
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:25:38 pm »

Look in the wiki  for cheats - here is something to make entities drop specified items on death. Make a soul item.
Modding should contain some info on smelter reactions for you.
 Choose an item to react with and start smelting the souls of the fallen?
(can I suggest creating different racial soul types? ::))
Keep in mind this could be redundant ... eventually.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:28:55 pm by Urist McDetective »
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:59:15 pm »

Look in the wiki  for cheats - here is something to make entities drop specified items on death. Make a soul item.
Modding should contain some info on smelter reactions for you.
 Choose an item to react with and start smelting the souls of the fallen?
(can I suggest creating different racial soul types? ::))
Keep in mind this could be redundant ... eventually.
The only problem here is that then they would only drop a soul, not a corpse. It might work if you didn't want to make elf bone bolts.
However.... If you made an "elven corpse" item, which was smeltable into an elf corpse (which would decay normally into bones) and an "elf soul" item, that could work. You'd have to use a different item/reaction for each race (to preserve the elfy-ness), and you'd lose names on the corpses. Not sure what Dwarves would do if you smelted their loved ones, either. The soul could either be a generic "soul", or a race-specific "soul" (so dwarven souls might make better armor, but human souls made better weapons. Or something.)
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 03:39:29 pm »

WOOT!
[ITEMCORPSE:CORPSE:NO_SUBTYPE:CORPSE:USE_RACEGLOSS]
this will make the dead thing drop a corpse name and all! but a secound itemcorpse tag not work! whatever is listed last is whats dropped.  :( anyone know how to change this and make them drop both?
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 06:45:52 pm »

I have to say that this thread proves that NOTHING escapes the power of the Dwarven Forge!

Rochndil, always a Dwarf...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 07:14:12 pm »

WOOT!
[ITEMCORPSE:CORPSE:NO_SUBTYPE:CORPSE:USE_RACEGLOSS]
this will make the dead thing drop a corpse name and all! but a secound itemcorpse tag not work! whatever is listed last is whats dropped.  :( anyone know how to change this and make them drop both?

You can't. You can either make them drop a corpse or an item, not both. You can't make them drop more than one item either.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:19:45 pm »

darn! is there a way to use the reaction thing to change the corpse into a soul? i cant figure the reactions out beyond simple stuff myself really.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 12:33:23 pm »

You could consider having their soul be something like a wearable item. It doesn't make as much sense but if it was like a piece of clothing or jewelry that all members of other races wore you could get them to drop it upon death (or dismemberment). You might be able to make a smelter reaction from there for it.

I know Lord Nagash did something like the soul smelting with his creation of Shadows and shadowsteel that's used in Legendary Lands. But I'm pretty sure he had the corpse be shadow dust instead of a corpse.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 07:09:05 pm »

I have been working on your problem for a while, because It sounds like a fun sort of thing to add into my mod, and I havee managed to make a bit of headway, a reaction to extract souls from skulls:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The reaction will produce a green galss ammo item called a soul gem, since it is not made of metal, you don't have to worry about people melting them down and making -soul essence- bucklers, and the gems in turn can be used in reactions:

However...there is still one little(big) problem: the reaction seems to want to use a completely different skull for the reaction then the one I used in my test reaction, cat skulls. I might be using the wrong syntax/whatever for the skulls, but I am at a loss at how to proceed, perhaps someone else has an appropriate fix?

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 11:19:02 pm »

You mean you want it to use cat skulls or not?
I'm intrigued and confused.
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 12:57:20 am »

No...I was just testing it on cat skulls first before trying it with anything else, because cat skulls are a whole lot easier to come by than dwarf/goblin/elf/human etc skulls in the beginning.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 11:09:12 pm »

o bother! your thing looks like everything's okay but if you can't get it to accept only one kind of skull it would not do because I want to slay elves with weapons made from the souls of elves not some random horse killed in an ambush.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 11:33:53 pm »

you could always have a reaction for each creature you want to "harvest". wouldn't that actually be a fairly small set?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch