Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia game - Round 2 - Game over!  (Read 50949 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Paranormal Mafia game - Round 2 - Game over!
« on: March 11, 2009, 02:27:45 pm »

The first Paranormal mafia game was very interesting. Hopefully people are up for a second round.

The basic premise is that a small town has been infested with Doppelgangers. They have eaten several prominent citizens and taken their bodies and memories for their own. Once they were firmly entrenched, they started killing and eating people at night. Many people have fled in terror, others went on a rampage. In the chaos, one of the Doppelgangers was killed, and reverted to it's real form. The remaining townsfolk now know that something bad is happening, and that any of them could be a monster. A search of the area has revealed a number of pods from whence the doppelgangers came. The town knows how many are left. The only task now is to identify them and kill them, before they eat the rest of the town alive.

Here are the possible roles:
  • Townie - Normal citizen. No powers, just your wits and a desire to live
  • Doppelganger - Body-snatching, man-eating monster. You want to feast on human flesh and avoid being caught
  • Doppelganger leader - More powerful and adept then the others, the leader is immune to detection short of death
  • Agent - An FBI agent investigating the situation. Can investigate one person per night to determine if they are human
  • Doctor - Can prevent one person from being killed by anything other then a lynch. Only protects against one attack a night
  • War Vet - Is trigger happy and will kill anyone targeting them at night, although they still die if the night target was deadly. Can choose to turn off this ability for a night (leaving themselves vulnerable)
  • Alien - The alien is also investigating the town. However, it has it's own goals and it's own win/lose situation
    The alien will have 1 of the following goals.
    • Contact the FBI - The Alien chooses one person a night. If that person is the Agent, the Alien wins. The Alien vanishes after it has won (goes to negotiate with the government). If that person is not the agent, however, the Alien kills them to keep their identity from being revealed. If the person is a doppelganger, there is a 50% chance the Alien will be killed instead. The Alien loses if the Agent is killed or if the town loses.
    • Grab a Doppelganger for Study - Once during the game, the Alien chooses a person at night and takes them onboard their space ship for study. Both Vanish. If the person was a Doppelganger, the Alien wins. If not, the Alien loses.
    • Survive - The Alien is there for some other purpose, and is simply hiding as a human. Their only goal is to survive until the end of the game. They win as long as they are alive, regardless of which side wins.
    • Exterminator - The doppelganger infestation is a danger to the Alien's people, and it and all traces of it must be wiped from the Earth. The Alien kills one person a night. The Alien wins when they are the only one left alive. He has a 50% chance of surviving an attack on the Vet (He has better guns, but the Vet is waiting to shoot people)

I've written a perl script to pick roles and whatnot randomly. It has some rules that it follows, but it should make for a nice amount of randomness to the set-up.

Not all roles are guaranteed. In fact, it's quite possible to have a game with nothing but normal doppelgangers and humans.
There can be more then 1 alien, although each will have different goals.
There will only be, at most, 1 Agent, 1 Doctor, and 1 Doppelganger Leader.

Rule on PMs: Private Messages are allowed. However, I must be copied on all PMs. Failure to do so will result in very bad things happening to you. In addition you may NOT quote any PM from me, either your initial Role-PM or any role-related PMs. (Night role results, etc).  I'll make an exception for specifically rules-related questions. This is to keep the suspense and uncertainty in the game high. You're not supposed to know if the other person is lying or not, and quoting me gives too much weight to whatever it is you're saying.

Nights will last for 24 hours or until I've heard from each player with a night role, whichever comes first.
    In the event of night role collision, I'll roll to see what happens first. For example, if the doppelgangers decide to kill someone who is actually the extermination alien, I'll roll to see if they get him before he kills someone else or not.

Days will last for 48 hours or until everyone has voted (if there is a long period of inactivity after everyone votes I'll end the day to keep things moving).
    In the event of a tie, one of two things will happen. If there are only two vote camps, representing over half of the players, then both people will be lynched. If there are more than three vote camps or fewer then half the populace has voted then no lynch will take place.

All votes should be colored red to make it easy for me to spot them.

Feel free to ask for clarification on any rule.

Also, if there are any changes to the rules that people think are necessary feel free to discuss that as well.

The current plan is to start Monday 3/23

Players list:
  • NUKE9.13
  • chaoticjosh
  • Cheeetar
  • Pandarsenic
  • webadict
  • Alexhans
  • Katsuun
  • Org
  • Kashyyk
  • Beacon80
  • Karlito
  • inaluct
  • Solifuge
  • Masami Phonix
  • Archangel

Previous Games List
Game 1    Winners under spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:03:37 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia game - Round 2 - Sign ups!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 02:55:22 pm »

The last game was certainly interesting. But more players would have made it much better.

I'll join.
Long Live United Forenia!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 03:07:43 pm »

Ha, this one looks a lot more sophisticated than the last one. count me in.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 03:50:22 pm »

I will join.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:09:41 pm »

So fucking in on this.

chaoticjosh, what's different?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 07:13:39 pm »

So fucking in on this.

chaoticjosh, what's different?

Not all roles are guaranteed. In fact, it's quite possible to have a game with nothing but normal doppelgangers and humans.
There can be more then 1 alien, although each will have different goals.
There will only be, at most, 1 Agent, 1 Doctor, and 1 Doppelganger Leader.

This basically means that, instead of there being a guaranteed 1 agent, 1 doctor, 1 D. leader, and a predetermined amount of Doppelganger, the number of doppelgangers and humans and there roles are determined randomly. So we may not have a doctor at all, but an agent and some humans. Generally screws with peoples expectations of what there's supposed to be. Of course, I'm sure Meph will sanity check it to make sure it's reasonable.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:14:37 pm »

Wasn't it like that last time?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:17:10 pm »

I don't think so, I think everything was predetermined by Meph, but this time around, we don't know what to expect.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 07:24:13 pm »

Its...a little more random. There always was the possibility for there to be, say, 1 agent and no doc or dopp leader. It's just that I had 22 set configurations and rolled randomly to figure out which one to use.

With my program, it'll give us more possible variations because I don't have to lay them all out ahead of time.

The ratio of town-vs-antitown characters will be about the same, though. So with no roles and no aliens you'd get 3 dopps vs 9 humans with 12 players. Aliens then muck with that ratio a bit since they are fairly neutral, so nothing is totally guaranteed.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:27:30 pm »

Hmm.

Meph, you should join Ridiculous Mafia. :P
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 10:24:51 pm »

I'll be in this one I suppose. Although, given last game, I'm likely to be lynched Day 1.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 09:54:38 am »

Im in
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 04:33:53 pm »

Added in a few night-role rule enhancements and clarifications.

We still only have 6 people, so I'm going to keep the sign-up phase going for a while longer. 8 is the absolute minimum I'd play with, 12 is decent (what we had last time), and 16 or more would be best.
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 05:06:58 pm »

Yes, more people, definitely.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 05:07:06 pm »

Havent done anything like this yet so, count me in.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41