Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia game - Round 2 - Game over!  (Read 50950 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia game - Round 2 - Sign up! We need more players!
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2009, 12:03:59 pm »

And here is an output from my script with out current crop of players:

There are 15 players, 3 of which are Doppelgangers and 2 are aliens (0.15)

PlayerRaceRoleGoal
AlexhansDoppelgangerNoneTown Loses
Beacon80HumanNoneTown Wins
CheeetarDoppelgangerNoneTown Loses
KarlitoHumanNoneTown Wins
KashyykAlienNoneExterminate all players
KatsuunAlienNoneCapture Doppelganger
Masami PhonixHumanNoneTown Wins
NUKE9.13HumanDoctorTown Wins
OrgHumanNoneTown Wins
PandarsenicDoppelgangerLeaderTown Loses
SolifugeHumanNoneTown Wins
ZaithmeisterHumanAgentTown Wins
chaoticjoshHumanNoneTown Wins
inaluctHumanNoneTown Wins
webadictHumanNoneTown Wins
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2009, 01:22:24 pm »

Mayhaps the alien's abilities should differ depending on what his goal is. If I were chosen as an alien whose goal is to "exterminate all players", I'd give up right there, because it's an impossible task.

What do you think Meph?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2009, 01:28:12 pm »

Well, if you look at the rules in the OP you'll see that the aliens do have abilities related to their goals. The Exterminator, for example, gets to kill one player every night. So that, with the Dopps kills and the daily lynchings, it really isn't an impossible goal. Although I guess his goal is more accurately portrayed as being in a position at the end of the game to kill the last player(s). It's really just a flavor variant on the traditional Serial Killer role.

The Agent contacting alien gets to 'visit' a player each night, if they so wish. If that person is the Agent, they win. If not, they either kill that person or fight them (if it's a dopp. Or an Exterminator alien, I guess).

The alien Hunting a Dopp for Study get's to pick one person during the game to capture at night and take off in their spaceship for study. They win if it's a Dopp, and lose otherwise. So that role is more about staying alive until your confident you know who one of the dopps is.

The survivor, of course, has no powers. They do get to be a wildcard at the end of the game, though, like Panda did.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2009, 01:43:36 pm »

Ah, I should have read the rules more thoroughly.

Still, the exterminator has the hardest winning condition. They're alone, and have no other protection to speak of. The only way I can see one winning would be if they sided with the townies at first, not using his powers at all, then once he's positive that the dopps are killed off, he uses his killing power to make it seem as though dopps still exist, and therefore lynching continued. Then managed to gambit and kill every other townie. When it eventually comes down to three people (which it would in that scenario) it would be very intense for the Exterminator. If the agent still exists into the late-game though, then god help him.

What I'm trying to say is: the exterminator would have to be a commando with a myriad of unusual skills, seeing as how he has no allies.

Suggestions:
being able to survive any non-lynching death once.
being able to deduce the identity of players (limited?)
being immune to detection by the agent
being able to fake his own death (I'm not sure how it'd work, but I thought it sounded cool.)
being able to automatically discern the identity of anyone attacks him in the night.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:50:09 pm by chaoticjosh »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2009, 01:57:32 pm »

Well, yes, it is a difficult role. But it's also one that can have a profound effect on the game, since the Exterminator is trying to keep the game going as long as possible (while everyone else is trying to shorten it as fast as possible in their favor).

This is also partly why I made the Agent Seeker (who's on the town's side) also kill anyone he visits who isn't the Agent. That way, it won't be obvious which type of Alien is doing the extra killing at night.
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2009, 02:02:47 pm »

Well, I'll just trust your judgment on the issue, but I still think that it's a near impossible role to win as.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2009, 02:03:55 pm »

Hehe. Guess we'll have to find out. Whenever one makes it into a game, anyway.
Come play Mafia with us!

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to join.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good! You're added to the list. :)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia game - Round 2 - Day 1
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2009, 02:25:16 pm »

This used to be a quiet town. Small, out of the way, and nothing bad ever really seemed to happen here. Oh, sure, there were the small things. People have accidents, bad weather damaging the crops, stuff like that. But nothing really bad, like murderer. Not until last week, anyway.

Last week a strange fellow was found wandering on the side of the road. He seemed lost, confused, and pretty much out of it. So the kind person who found him took him to the local clinic. They checked him over, figured he was just drunk or on some sort of drugs, and gave him a room for the night.

The next morning, the local Sheriff came to the clinic to check on this strange person. He'd wanted to see if the man was any better, sober enough to answer questions, at least. Instead, he found a bloodbath. The doctors, nurses, and other patients had all been brutally slain. Many of them looked to have been gnawed on by some sort of animal. As he looked around, the Sheriff caught sight of the strange man, hunched over the body of a nurse and chewing on her arm. Horrified, the Sheriff pulled out his gun and shot the man, emptying the clip into him.

What happened then frightened him even more. The man fell backwards, spasming. As he died, his body changed. His skin grew pale white, and slightly blotchy. His face lost all features, even eyes, except for a large mouth full of sharp teeth. His hand elongated, and his nails grew into hideous claws. This was no man, it was some sort of shape-changing monster!

As word spread of what happened, people began to panic. Many left the town. Others vanished in the night, the Sherriff among them. Search parties were sent out to find the missing people. They were never found. However, what was found was disturbing indeed. Underneath the main bridge were five strange greenish-white pods. Man-sized, ripped open, and empty. Five pods...five of these monsters? With one dead, that means there are four more around. Four more doppelgangers, who could be anyone. Many more people fled the area that day.

That night, that bridge and the other two smaller bridges were destroyed by large explosions. Those of you here are all that are left of the town, and there is no escape. It is kill or be killed.

You all agreed to meet in the town hall each day, attempt to figure out who is one of these body-snatchers, and kill them. It is your only hope of survival.

Day one is up and PMs are going out now. Let the paranoia commence!

Reminder: You may freely PM the other players during both the Day and Night phases. However, I must be copied on all PMs. Also, PMs from me may not be quoted. This is done to maintain the level of uncertainty in the game. (except for rules clarifications, of course).
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2009, 03:36:11 pm »

About time.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2009, 03:45:56 pm »

Let's get this show on the road!

Soon after sunrise, a lanky man walks into the town hall, concern clear on his face. His clothes are still disheveled from what was, undoubtedly, a sleepless night for the entire town. It had become a nightmarish place overnight... a prison. And they were locked in this prison with the worst kinds of monsters imaginable... the monsters that lurk between paranoid delusions and mortal fear.

He looks around nervously, tightly clutching the anonymous note posted to their doors late last night, after explosions rocked the city streets:

"URGEANT NOTICE - ALL CITEZENS REPORT TO TOWN HALL FOR EMERGANCY MEETING"

Judging by the grammatical errors on the hand-scrawled notice, the writer could have been anyone... or anything. He began looking around for another person, his face equally eager and cautious.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 04:07:16 pm by Solifuge »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2009, 03:53:12 pm »

About time.

Yeah, took longer to get going then I'd have liked. But we do have 16 people this time, so that should make things interesting.

Oh, and Day one will go until ~5pm Pacific Wednesday. I'd like everyone to get in on things and vote each day, if possible.

And since Solifuge has started off Role-playing,  I'll encourage everyone else to do the same. Might make things a bit more engaging for everyone.  8)
Come play Mafia with us!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2009, 04:02:51 pm »

I tried running with writing in the 3rd Person Narrative perspective the intro set up, which also helps to remove the personal perspective. Besides, that way people don't reveal their secret plans for world domination private thoughts unless they choose to share them :P

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2009, 04:07:51 pm »

A man wearing a black headband with a blue "VN" emblazoned on it approaches the town hall. He is wearing a very ugly jacket with the flag of some tiny African dictatorship stitched on the back. In his left hand he carries a newly lit Cuban cigar. In his right, he carries a rocket propelled grenade launcher, loaded. The town had never needed such force before, but he knew that now was one time when-

The man trips. The grenade launcher lands hard, and fires it's payload straight into a nearby Lexus, reducing it to a twisted, smoldering wreck.

"Ugh."

The man dusts himself off, throws the empty grenade launcher off into the bushes, and walks into the town hall to tell people that someone's car just exploded. It must have been the work of aliens.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41