Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Economy balance  (Read 1305 times)

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Economy balance
« on: March 14, 2009, 08:45:16 pm »

Im sure this has been mentioned at some point, but I feel it needs to be reiterated.

The only goblins / immigrants who should have giant spider silk items on them should be nobles, elites, and ambassadors. It's just silly to have your fortress wealth double from your first snatcher kill if there happens to be a lot of spider silk items on it. Also, after just one healthy siege any fortress has enough wealth to last through the entire game. Right now the only way I have been able to chew through the loot is by cranking up demand for steel armor and buying up +steel plate mail+ or better in bulk. As is stands there is no reason to focus on trade goods desired by the caravans after the first year.

Don't get me wrong - the value of giant spider silk is appropriate for the difficulty of obtaining it. It's just way too common on both dwarves and 'guests'. A simple check on mob creation should fix this at the expense of a very tiny bit of lag (if any at all).
DF - because the only way to properly raise a dwarven infant is by carrying it into battle in lieu of a shield.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Economy balance
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 04:34:29 am »

Yeah, the problem is that currently, nothing is rarer than anything else when it comes to traders/immigrants/visitors/invaders, or anything else coming from off-site.

This, of course, shouldn't be the case. Goblins showing up with giant cave spider silk should be ridiculously rare, and probably not for the basic soldiers very often at all, if ever.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Economy balance
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:21:10 am »

This, of course, shouldn't be the case. Goblins showing up with giant cave spider silk should be ridiculously rare, and probably not for the basic soldiers very often at all, if ever.
Yes, the solution for that is NOT reducing GCS silk value.  What's the point of getting one then, if you the silk isn't valuable, right?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember