Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Explosives  (Read 1289 times)

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Explosives
« on: March 14, 2009, 08:57:45 pm »

By a very wide margin, the most fun of DF is from experiencing a cataclysmic engineering disaster, followed by gory forum descriptions of the incident.

To that end, I would really, really like to see the alchemist shop be able to produce black powder. Two of the ingredients are already in the game (saltpeter and charcoal). All that is remaining would be sulphur (small deposits in igneous layers?).

The blast would destroy all tiles within a certain radius, including walls, stone, construction, roads, the works. The blast radius could be determined by powder quality. Units caught withing the blast would be hit by 3-6 shots of 150-200 bludgeoning damage (as a suggestion). To implement this you could build an explosive charge on the map, then a dwarf would run off with the powder, then after a short delay, BOOM. What could possibly go wrong?

This idea could be extedned to include goblin sappers - self destructive (and likely friend destructive) mobile bombs to destroy walls, bridges, traps, anything really.

Imagine the carnage, flooding, cave-ins, panic, and terror! All things dwarvenly.
DF - because the only way to properly raise a dwarven infant is by carrying it into battle in lieu of a shield.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
!!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 08:58:53 pm »

During sieges? This would make everyone dangerous! Specially my uruk hai!  ;D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Explosives
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:04:44 pm »

Hi.  This topic comes up a lot, as you would have noticed if you had searched for "explosives" as directed by the large banner at the top of Suggestions.  This is the case for a lot of the good ideas people have, so it's best to search first, just so that we don't end up rehashing what was already discussed in an earlier thread.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:07:15 pm by Footkerchief »

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:08:32 pm »

Forgot that part - searched in the development area, which is considerably less efficient. I shall consider my nose thwapped.
DF - because the only way to properly raise a dwarven infant is by carrying it into battle in lieu of a shield.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:25:12 am »

Meh, I think it's worth another discussion, the best method of explosions I've seen is a system that creates a certain amount of liquid at the bomb, whenever it gets over 7/7 and can't spread out, it destroys a random tile to spread to, buildings are auto-destroyed. This also means a boom on the surface isn't as devastating as a boom right next to a 1 wide tunnel right next to that magma vent...
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)