Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Racism/slavery  (Read 13354 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Racism/slavery
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 02:02:12 pm »

He might just be projecting from Pilsu's responses on other threads where he tends to speak in absolute terms.

Projecting is the correct term right?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 02:09:54 pm »

He might just be projecting from Pilsu's responses on other threads where he tends to speak in absolute terms.

Projecting is the correct term right?

Projecting would be if LegoLord himself thought in absolute terms and therefore expected Pilsu to do so as well.  This is more like extrapolation, I suppose.  Regardless, Pilsu is being highly explicit and clear in this thread that he wants more nuanced decisions with more factors taken into account and less absolute decisions, and if somebody has a beef from another thread, that's all the more reason to read carefully to see if it still applies.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:11:46 pm by Footkerchief »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 02:20:04 pm »

I'm sorry; I read the posts multiple times, carefully, but that's what I got out of them.
Again, sorry for the trouble.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 02:24:02 pm »

My original posts' purpose was just to state that Slavery doesn't always lead to Racism and can in fact be a method to prevent racism and stop enemies from attacking.

I am not sure on how to expand on it.

I guess it depends on the nature of the Slavery at hand. So perhaps Slaves could have several tags.

For example, being a Slave in Athens was a LOT better then being a slave in Rome.

Well treated slaves with proper rights could be overlooked by other cultures.

In its lightest form a slave is basically a citizen, in its strongest form the slave is worked to death and can be killed for fun.

Though the game should distinguish between a "Hostage" and "Slave" so that some cultures could intentionally take or exchange "Slaves" from eachothers culture as a method to inspire peace, understanding, or simply to discourage attack.
-This can also take form of Royal weddings by marrying off princesses to foriegn powers as a way to bolster peace.

Note: Hostage is used for lack of a better word.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:29:41 pm by Neonivek »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 11:58:17 pm »

The word, my friend, is P.O.W.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 08:18:32 am »

No, it's "prisoner of war."  POW is just an abbreviation, which won't tell him much.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 08:36:09 am »

I guess it depends on the nature of the Slavery at hand. So perhaps Slaves could have several tags.
Note: Hostage is used for lack of a better word.
Babylonian slaves could own property and become wealthy. Chinese eunuchs, while technically slaves, played a mayor role in politics at times.

Hostage is the perfect word. It was customary at times to exchange hostages to cement an alliance. These would then each be hosted by the other party in the treaty. It's rather similar to diplomatic marriages. In vanilla DF, it would fit very well in the goblin's philosophy.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 08:43:17 am »

In vanilla DF, it would fit very well in the goblin's philosophy.
Peace with the Goblins?!  :o
Madness!
(this is a joke)
Seriously though, I like having something to fight.
Just so I remember

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 09:20:51 am »

In vanilla DF, it would fit very well in the goblin's philosophy.
Peace with the Goblins?!  :o
Madness!
(this is a joke)
Seriously though, I like having something to fight.
Well, some players want to try everything. (whispers) I even heard some of them trade with elves!

You can always behead your hostage, and send the head back. :)
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: 1 [2]