Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Good luck, or bad luck?  (Read 2851 times)

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good luck, or bad luck?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 12:23:13 am »

Orcs finally showed up! And since they are the trap-avoid kind, I had to do it the hard way.

I'm going to need more coffins.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 12:35:43 am »

... well, thats odd. Or just another example of dwarven stupidity.

I managed to lure the orcs into my tunnel, and trap them between locked doors and a gate. The sides are lined with fortifications, and fortunately they have no snipers. So I tell my squads to line up and let loose!

And they line up. And stare.

Apparently, they're too frightened to even shoot. And yes, I have a ton of bolts, and yes, they're accessible, and yes, they have quivers to put them in.

I managed to get them to shoot a few times by turning the squads off and on so they would 'pick up equipment'. They just REALLY want to go crossbow-whacking, apparently.

(Edited for typos)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:39:40 am by Hamster Man »
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 01:09:59 am »

To destroy the urge for clubbers, you must forbid them from pursuing enemies.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 01:25:57 am »

That helped, a little. They still spend most of the time staring at them.

Just to see what would happen, I saved and openned the doors. They ripped my champions apart and killed half of the fort. *sigh* Well, needless to say I savescummed and I'm very slowly killing them off by turning the squad on-and-off. Maybe when the caravan gets here they'll finish them off.

Obviously next time, I need to install retracting bars with a ballista, and a hallway of spike traps.

Sidenote: Rotting orc bodies make huge miasmas.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:28:20 am by Hamster Man »

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 02:02:34 am »

That helped, a little. They still spend most of the time staring at them.

Just to see what would happen, I saved and openned the doors. They ripped my champions apart and killed half of the fort. *sigh* Well, needless to say I savescummed and I'm very slowly killing them off by turning the squad on-and-off. Maybe when the caravan gets here they'll finish them off.

Obviously next time, I need to install retracting bars with a ballista, and a hallway of spike traps.

Sidenote: Rotting orc bodies make huge miasmas.
Dude, the other way to stop is to place the Archer's Keep on the floor above the foes, so that, one, they don't get shot down, and two, they'll be discouraged to the same ol' clubbing, because it is too far away, take the hint, place the barracks food and drink closer to the Keep than the courtyard, so that when they binge, feed, and sleep, that they don't think that it is more reasonable to walk five feet to get raped by a horde of orcs, than to go to the designated patrol area, where they are safe, and can cheap shoot them.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:48 am »

According to my observations and the Wiki, any miner automatically produces adamantine. They can't screw up the dig.

I've accidentally dug it with only a professional and he popped out adamantine every time. Make a backup save and just go to town with your rookies. At the very least, you can verify that rumor.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 11:00:20 am »

... yay. I get a queen. And I haven't even dug out rooms yet.
At least the elves arrived, so I got some steal some more food. *sigh* How low, to steal from elves.

Almost summer, still no orcs. I'm starting to get worried.
An early second year adamant queen?

WTF, you are lucky, generally no one gets an Adamantine Monarch, but an Adamantine Monarch, that rules a hamlet ( 5-25 people ) , by Armok, you are more hardcore than Boatmurdered, and that the Felled ( Strange Mooded ) Goblin that conquered his own mother fort, alone, in the name of Armok!

Hmm. Is it that special? I too found addy in my first year, and the king arrived a year later @ 22 dorfs...
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 02:33:25 am »

It seems to happen only occasionally. I've hit adamant before, and the king never showed (at least, not until he would have anyways). Though in this particular instance here, I wasn't looking for adamant... at least, not 3 levels down.

Oh, finally got slaughtered in year 5, btw - I have nightmares of war elephants now.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 12:07:52 pm »

Oh, finally got slaughtered in year 5, btw - I have nightmares of war elephants now.

Glad that they are working as intended  ;D
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 [2]