Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Safe?  (Read 2564 times)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Safe?
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:20:57 pm »

I built a fort on this totally awesome volcanic island.

So far, from lack of trade, it seems to have no elves and no humans, and from lack of thieves and ambushes I'm starting to think there's no goblins or kobolds either.

Thats cool for the dwarves that don't want to die and all, but what about the puppeteer directing their futile lives? What is there to do other than create a magma chamber I'll never need to use?

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Safe?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:31:07 pm »

I'd dig under the island as far as possible, fill it with magma, then let the ocean in, carving your dwarven city out of the massive obsidian mold. Extra points if you make a central tower (in the shape of a towercap or something else that's dwarfy.

Or, build a lighthouse. Glass (assuming you have sand) surrounding a glowing magma core at the top of a max-height tower with an external spiral staircase (ramp) (See: The Spiral Minaret.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:32:59 pm by Shrike »

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 03:38:50 pm »

I believe that islands nearly always have no neighbors. Therefore no trade except with parent civ and no ambushes or sieges.

Yeah, sounds pretty boring.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 04:15:18 pm »

Make the island collapse on itself.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 04:53:54 pm »

It's the only logical course of action.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 05:00:47 pm »

Acceptable courses of action:

1.  Collapse the whole island and make it disappear from the world
2.  Build a massive reservoir one z-level above the ocean that extends as high as possible.  Make as much space on the floor be retractable bridges.  Link all the bridges to a single lever.  Fill the entire reservoir with magma.  Visit in adventure mode and pull the lever.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 05:03:26 pm »

Make a pressure plate that triggers a support to fall, which is the only thing holding up a large construction. When it falls, it should land on another set of constructions holding up a magma pit, causing the pit to fall as well. When the pool lands (coincidentally glancing and killing a dwarf) this should trigger a pressure plate when a collecting dwarf steps on it. When that happens, the volcano (or magma pipe) should be released of all its fluids through a complex labyrinth of screw pumps, flooding the entire island in magma.

When that happens, hole up all your dwarves in the fort. This is the fun part: the magma should go into a small hole in the ground, going through a multiple z-level shaft until it reaches the bottom level of the island (which is all channeled out). The magma will melt a wooden support, collapsing the whole entire island into dust. Congratulations, your dwarves are all dead!

I couldn't think of any completely new ideas, but this should be fun to set up.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 05:50:13 pm »

Safe?

I saw this subject title, and just started chuckling...  8)

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 07:32:28 pm »

It's the only logical course of action.
Divide by zero!

Dwarven insanity machine, set to calculate the dividing by zero.... It sounds absolutely dwarfish...
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 08:26:59 pm »

Insanity/0=Dwarfy

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 09:21:55 pm »

As an addition to the collapse the island ideas: Build the Dwarf Atlantis.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 12:41:10 am »

As an addition to the collapse the island ideas: Build the Dwarf Atlantis.

The lever to its destruction must be in a circle of statues in the middle of the common room.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 04:59:54 am »

Hidden under the king/queen's throne room, rather.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 07:24:08 am »

How about, build some bridges/land on the side nearest to the major land mass, kill your dwarves and reclaim on the edge of you newely built land. Repeat untill you get a bridge from the island to the continent then reclaim the island.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 11:14:49 am »

Divide by zero!

Dwarven insanity machine, set to calculate the dividing by zero.... It sounds absolutely dwarfish...

Pff. Real dwarves CAN divide by zero. The answer is cats.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".