Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The new, and properly planned fortress: AbyssDepths  (Read 40010 times)

Daki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The new, and properly planned fortress: AbyssDepths
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 12:16:54 pm »

The internet is over,everyone go home.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 12:24:21 pm »

This is pretty fantastic.  I can't help thinking it needs a Mega-Constructed surface castle to go along with it, but really you've outdone yourself.  I've never been able to accomplish this kind of crazy advance planning before on more than one Z-level (see the Hammer Chambers in my sig)... you are to be congratulated and commended for your forethought!

I assume you're going to un-designate some of the bottlenecks so that your miners don't head straight for the northwest corner and whittle away useless rooms?

Also, I don't see farms.  Are you just going to pump water onto stone, or are you heading to the surface?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 12:39:02 pm »

the dwarves will have to walk through the waterfalls to get to the food stockpiles.

Am I the only one worried that this will result in Dwarfy Drowning Mayhem (Inc.)?

Also, CLEAN DWARVES?! THIS IS MADNESS.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 01:07:27 pm »

Does it have huge multi-level halls?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 01:16:16 pm »

Well done sir. I truly admire the fact that everyhting is round and cool. In my completely preplanned out fort (going from highest to lowest z-level) everything is also at least 2 stories high. Unfortunately it looks nowhere nere as nice or epic as yours and is probably less efficient.
1 feature I am particularly proud of though is my water feature that runs through every z level producing various sorts of waterfalls aswell as my auto killing and iron sorting magma powered goblin seige disposal chutes.

Come to think of it, maybe i should put up some images once its done on the map archive.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 02:02:01 pm »

y auto killing and iron sorting magma powered goblin seige disposal chutes.

How on earth do you auto-sort iron out?  That sounds great!  Does it involve macro-scale mass spectrography?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 02:10:09 pm »

Dump dead goblins into shoot, flood with magma... Magma melts iron and burns up remains.. Drain magma, remove Iron bars.

PROFIT!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 02:14:23 pm »

How do you keep the dead and the stuff the dead had on them together? turn off forbid death items?
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Finalfish

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 02:21:49 pm »

the dwarves will have to walk through the waterfalls to get to the food stockpiles.
CLEAN DWARVES?! THIS IS MADNESS.
Madness?

THIS. IS. ABYSSDEPTHS!

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 03:12:55 pm »

Dump dead goblins into shoot, flood with magma... Magma melts iron and burns up remains.. Drain magma, remove Iron bars.

How's the yield on that process vs. the yield from using a magma forge?  You should get fractional iron bars from (e.g.) gloves or bolts... are they washed away, or does it (oh please oh please) round up and leave you with at least one full iron bar for each Narrow Iron item?  Do you get better yield by stacking them all up, so that fractional bars all end up in the same tile and get combined?

Also: I gather from what you're stating here that you don't mind losing the GCS, leather, and bones from a goblin.  I think I can see a few ways to fix that, but most involve lots of labor. 

Porpoisepower, dead bodies are (unfortunately) not treated as containers.  When a creature dies, its inventory is instantly and magically stacked on top of it, and each item must be hauled separately.   ;D

Apologies for the hijack -- now let us resume praising the OP's design!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 03:15:19 pm »

You can't make bars just from pouring magma on something. You have to actually melt the items down in a smelter.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 03:23:20 pm »

Ter13, how do you make your circles? Is it an autohotkey macro? If so could you post it?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

Mrok Girl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 03:27:34 pm »

This looks really very pretty and well planned! One question though:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is the Tower Cap farm supposed to be slightly asymetrical? The right curve is a bit smaller than the left one. With everything else so round and perfectly designed this really stands out.

On second look, not only the Tower Cap farm but also the stoneworks wing looks a bit off... Is it supposed to be like that?
Newcastle 5 Chambers megaproject.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 03:33:11 pm »

I have a setup where either side of my entrance are short, 2 tile wide corridors with a chained bear at the end. However the tiles leading up to the bear are actually channeled and have grates connected to two pressure plates in a reapeater setup in a checker board fashion. This means that alternately there is a checkerboard of grates and holes leading to the bears, so the goblins will try to path to the bears if i lock the front door to my fortress. Then when they try to path across the grates, they will end up falling quite a few z levels into a chamber with a bridge for a floor and filled with magma. The gobbos and their clothes get burnt leaving only the iron, i then retrtact the bridge causing the magma/iron mixture to fall on some grates above a drainage channel right next to my smelters, leaving me with a pile of iron for my furnace operators to smelt.

Well thats the theory anway. I havent managed to finish it quite yet but im getting there. Just need a few more steel grates. ;D
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Scope

• Bay Watcher
  • tophats, oh tophats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 03:42:19 pm »

Ter13, how do you make your circles? Is it an autohotkey macro? If so could you post it?

I am also curiouse about this. You couldn't possible do it by normal means.

Anyway, absolutly fantastic looking fort
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8