Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: The new, and properly planned fortress: AbyssDepths  (Read 40008 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: The new, and properly planned fortress: AbyssDepths
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2009, 10:36:56 pm »

every time i see this it gets more and more epic.. is there any way we mere mortals can get saved files or zips of this? that we may experiment wiht such epicness?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2009, 11:15:43 am »

Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

Well I've finally found a signature
Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2009, 11:25:52 am »

ok, HERES a question...since it may take several Dwarf YEARS to dig this mostrousiuty out.. what do you plan to do in the mean time? You will have to have, food production, beds, craftshhops,. a source of income, minning and metalworking in at least a small fort LONG before youll get to finish your true fortress... DO you have like a mini fortress planned untill your real one is finished?

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2009, 11:44:19 am »

I'll make do. I since the design is rather efficient, I can dig out small bits, and leave the decadent bits to the dwarves to do later, I can probably just dig out individual portions, and leave stuff for later. Dwarves aren't bothered by sleeping on rocks for the first two or three years, so no big deal.

(sorry if the post doesn't make sense, I'm a little drunkish...)
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2009, 12:00:22 pm »

*Mind explodes from shear insanity of fortress*  :o

Is it me or does that design of the metal/glass industry level look like a giant ballista O.o
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2009, 12:45:39 pm »

just a thought... what does the rest of your map look like, as in, how much forrests do you have, because im thinking your going to need a LOT of wood for his thing :D

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009, 05:10:59 pm »

just a thought... what does the rest of your map look like, as in, how much forrests do you have, because im thinking your going to need a LOT of wood for his thing :D

Magma allows for a much lesser use of wood, because with magma, you can freely melt down ores and shitty goblin stuff, and make the pump components out of metal. He also has that huge ass tower cap farm, I mean damn.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2009, 05:35:07 pm »

Acxtually I was thinking of the Three "Bs" 

Beds
Bins
Barrels

All mostly wood items

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2009, 06:34:17 pm »

Bins and barrels are a great use for lesser metals (if you have iron or have struck the fourth iron ore) such as copper and tin. And lead.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2009, 06:54:06 pm »

So Ter, do you like writing?  'Cause this could make an awesome story setting.  Not saying you need to or anything, but just thought I'd ask if the idea seemed appealing to you.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2009, 08:46:22 pm »

So Ter, do you like writing?  'Cause this could make an awesome story setting.  Not saying you need to or anything, but just thought I'd ask if the idea seemed appealing to you.

Already one step ahead of you. I'll be writing this from the perspective of a few dwarves while I play.

As for the wood question, I've got plenty. The south third of my map is heavily forested. I can clearcut that, and by the time I'm done clearcutting the map, I ought to have tower caps growing inside of the fortress.

The only thing I'm worried about, is that a friend told me that tower caps don't like to grow unless there is water constantly flowing over a patch of muddied stone... I don't know how true this is, and I gather that it's very wrong, seeing as that friend doesn't look at DF from the perspective of TIME.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2009, 08:51:34 pm »

Already one step ahead of you. I'll be writing this from the perspective of a few dwarves while I play.

[. . .]

The only thing I'm worried about, is that a friend told me that tower caps don't like to grow unless there is water constantly flowing over a patch of muddied stone... I don't know how true this is, and I gather that it's very wrong, seeing as that friend doesn't look at DF from the perspective of TIME.
Woot!

As for the tower caps, no worries.  It starts out slow, but after a few years the tower caps start popping up as regularly as above ground trees, and don't require constant water flow.  They'll even grow in subterranean soil layers, assuming you have the river (which you do in this case).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2009, 01:41:14 pm »

First of all, freaking wow.  I haven't read the water details in depth yet, but the pictures are more than enough to be awe-inspiring. 

Second, no worries on having to constantly flood the tower cap farm.  Once you tap the underground river they start popping up anywhere there's exposed subterranean soil (or mud as your case will probably be).  They take a few years to grow to full once they pop up (2 or 3 years, I don't remember) but once they start going, you'll have more than enough.  The only worry I get with trees growing is that they'll grow in your water trafficking systems if they aren't full enough of water (4 or greater I think?) and once they're fully grown they block the water.  I had issues like that where I had tunnels that I only flooded now and then... one day I went to use the tunnel and no water came out.  Like I said, though I haven't really looked that close at your water systems, so if you have access to them you can always just cut the trees down.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:46:12 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2009, 01:47:32 pm »

Is this uploaded to the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive?  I'd love to be able to navigate around the maps and get good closeup looks at some of the more detailed features. 
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Therosfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2009, 03:13:13 pm »

I agree with Jurph, if you could upload this to the Map Archive to view closer that would be awesome. Also, could you maybe post your seed? That looks like a beautiful mountain to carve things into and I would love to have it available to use occasionally.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8