Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: The new, and properly planned fortress: AbyssDepths  (Read 39999 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: The new, and properly planned fortress: AbyssDepths
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2009, 04:42:50 pm »

Bluerobbin brings up an good point;  but don't worry, that problem can be solved using either "empty" stockpiles or roads.  They both count as buildings and therefore block tower-cap growth.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2009, 10:21:28 pm »

I think smoothed floor also blocks tower cap growth.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2009, 10:36:35 pm »

make several save scums and do amazing and horrifying things. magma, tantrum spiral, flood, carve all the stone from around it, and other things

carve the stone and take a 3Dwarf picture....i demand it

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2009, 11:11:19 am »

Updates, I demand updates!!!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2009, 12:43:41 pm »

I think smoothed floor also blocks tower cap growth.

It does not. Constructed floors and roads do, however.

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2009, 05:32:06 am »

Well, I haven't the time, or the progress to show my updates with screenshots.

Right now, I'm busy devising some way to deal with a massive number of goblins who seem to eye my dwarves as some twisted method of entertainment. I got lucky for the first three ambushes. I was busily laying out cage traps for my underground river pests friends, when a goblin ambush decided to run down into my fort, scaring the living hell out of my workers building the traps. Luckily, I had built them back-to-front in case any river nasties popped up, and the goblins were easily taken care of with no bloodshed... Just as our friends the frog men jumped out of the river, attracted by my scattering dwarves. The dwarves scattered back across the trap line, and drew the frog men into them as well... Except for one. Apparently non-military dwarves can fight back. I had a legendary miner (one of my original seven) decapitate one of the frog men...

The next two ambushes were slightly less lucky. The mother of AbyssDepths' first child, also the love interest of my founding seven (and Mayor), had her arm broken by a goblin wrestler. Her child was dropped carelessly due to the wound, and made off with by a coincidental baby snatcher. I'm going to make an example out of the goblin squad that comes back with the child. I will be adding an arena to my plans, and this arena will have a bloodworks beneath it, so that I may allow my Mayor to be bathed in the blood of those who corrupted his child. I'll also be creating a masterwork coffin specifically for him, and another for his son, both will be soaked in the blood of those goblins.

The third ambush occurred during the arrival of our liason from the mountainhomes. They slaughtered a few horses and a single merchant. We buried the merchant as one of our own, and the goblins were slain by the caravan guards before we could properly respond. One goblin was cut in half, his torso flung into a murky pool, and his legs left to rot on the bank.

I've been quite lucky so far. I've only lost about three Dwarves, one worthless migrant Armorer due to a mood (begging for leather and thread...). One competent migrant mechanic, who was cut down by goblins in his valiant attempts to arm the very cage traps that caught his attackers, and a completely worthless migrant Pump Operator. He fell asleep on the floodgates to my fortress, and nearly got half a dozen other dwarves killed. We've carved "Twat" into his gravestone for his sloth and stupidity, and posthumously given him a bed next to his coffin... Just to prove a point. To this day, he is the only dwarf in Abyssdepths with a bed.

Right now, the excavation stands at about 20% completion. Stone relocation stands at 10%, and my dwarf headcount is now at 50. Fortress value is around 300000, and my workforce is 25% assembled.

As for artifacts, we have had four. Two Perfect Purple Spinels from the same dwarf (one posession and one fey), one detailing the crowning of the King of the "heavenly arches", my civilization, just 7 years earlier, and one detailing the creation of an artifact crown just one year earlier. We had a crown created, made from ash, which detailed the creation of an artifact mug the year before.

The spinels are worth 48000, and the crown and mug are borderline worthless as far as artifacts go.

My aqueduct is approximately 70% complete. I have yet to build the pump towers or power systems it so desperately requires, but that will come in time. The magma pipe has not yet been opened, but I'll get to it. I know exactly where it is.

I opened up the river today, as you already know by the fiasco with my new beastman pets.

The wood and stone quarters are 100% dug, the farming floor is completely opened up, but has not yet been cleared of stone, and still needs to be flooded before I can start working on it properly.

The Dining hall has had some serious revisions done to it due to failure on my part to designate it properly, destroying the initial plan.

We had a few near-miss disasters digging the stone quarter. One of our dwarves caused two small cave-ins, pretty well annihilating his kidney. He miraculously recovered.

The Mayor has been throwing tantrums left and right since the loss of his son, so we've locked him up by the meeting hall next to a food and booze stockpile, a bed, a chair, and a table. He's pretty pissed off right now, but he'll get over it... Or kill himself... I'm hoping for the former, but our tomb does need some furnishing...

I'll be starting a fanfic thread tonight or tomorrow detailing this from the perspective of some of my dwarves. Boatmurdered style.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2009, 05:50:06 am »

Two Perfect Purple Spinels from the same dwarf (one posession and one fey)...
Hmm, I was sure it was impossible for any dwarf to have more than one strange mood, even if they were of different types.

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2009, 08:38:16 am »

I've only got one gemcutter. I could always be mistaken.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2009, 09:42:29 am »

Screencaps, oh PLEASE send us screen caps of progress!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2009, 10:40:37 am »

an artifact descriptions tells you who created it.

i admire your artistic talent and your endurance in sticking with such a complicated design. do want screenshots.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2009, 10:46:02 am »

The possession could have been an unskilled dwarf who randomly chose gem-cutting and got no XP.  The artifact description is the place to check.  Any chance of seeing this fort on the DFMA?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2009, 11:14:34 am »

I have to ask, in the NEW dinning hall, will there still be Waterfalls over the entrances so Dwarf msut get "washed" before eating?

EDIT: on keeping yourself safe... As far as I could tell from your plans, you should have only one entrance into the base.. I sugfgest a maze  directly outside and then LOST of stone and weapon traps :P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:17:22 am by Crossroads Inc. »

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2009, 12:07:21 pm »

Hmm, I was sure it was impossible for any dwarf to have more than one strange mood, even if they were of different types.

I have had dwarves with multiple possessions.  However, I have only ever had dwarves with one strange mood other than possession, and no possessions after that one strange mood other than possession.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2009, 07:18:21 am »

The possession could have been an unskilled dwarf who randomly chose gem-cutting and got no XP.  The artifact description is the place to check.  Any chance of seeing this fort on the DFMA?

Yes.

As for the posession, dwarves with NO noteworthy crafting skill will always select a craftdwarf variety. Otherwise, they select the crafting skill with the most experience.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2009, 02:58:44 pm »

How goes the fortress?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8