Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The new, and properly planned fortress: AbyssDepths  (Read 39992 times)

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
The new, and properly planned fortress: AbyssDepths
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:27:02 pm »

My new fortress was started about five days ago. I haven't unpaused a single time. I've been planning what will be my first 200+ dwarf fortress.

It's built into a cliff that stands in front of a bottomless pit. I plan to tap the underground river and magma pipe soon, and start building properly bit by bit until the entire thing is done. This fort is meant for raw efficiency and the "wow" factor. I hope you guys like.

LARGE pictures ahead!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The more interesting structures are my dining hall, which is three stories, will have four waterfalls, and the dwarves will have to walk through the waterfalls to get to the food stockpiles. No wash=no dinner. It seats 204 dwarves comfortably.

The Living quarters of all dwarves are located less than 50 steps from their respective workshops. Each floor houses a set number of dwarves for each profession in that area, a few haulers, and a few "support types" as well. (refuse haulers near kitchens and farms, etc.)

Each element has quick access to the dining hall, and the only folk that do a lot of walking are haulers and woodcutters. Pretty swanky.

Nobility's getting a nice castle erected with a large, cylinddrical three-story cavern dug for them. There are 6 noble suites, and the castle will house as many as four more people per floor, which means... 18 noble rooms. The noble suites all come with their own individual plumbing, if you know what I mean...

The catacombs are gonna be set up underneath the fortress, near the bottom of the map. They will house my dead, and build upwards while I build downwards. Each dwarf will be sealed in a chamber depending on status. Group chambers will be for dwarves that die in worthless ways. My original seven will have their own chamber, and my nobles will have their own surrounding the originals. Legendary Dwarves will get group tombs in the legendary dwarf rooms for their profession. Their posessions will be put in front of their casket and sealed away.

This fortress is going to be promising and fun. What do you guys think of the layout plan?

[UPDATE!]

These new photos are of the revamped layout. I have completely changed the drainage and pipe structure so that if all goes well, no flooding should occur. I've got a MASSIVE pressure-fed cistern that feeds my obsidian foundry (new), and a new way of mitigating pressure on exposed pools of water.

I completed the hospital design, and put the work into all the plumbing on that, and then did most of the castle design. The king should be a happy camper, especially once i build it out of either clear or volcanic glass.

I added a barracks that will house all 24 soldiers I plan to keep, and the other 163 regular dwarves have been housed. I still need to get the start of the catacombs mapped out, but other than that, the design is final.

I've located the magma pipe and the underground river after a bit of save-scumming, and have optimized my design to account for them.

Below I go into detail about my water intake/output system. I believe I have mitigated all flooding issues completely before they begin. Read below, but be warned, it's a bit lengthy. Long story short: My fortress is capable of dumping 108 water per step, while my pumps only pull in 35 water per step, but using several clever pressure-based filling structures, I've managed to retain water without actually using any kind of switches to monitor water level.

I'm still hammering out a few details here and there, like burial, but for the most part the entire fortress is designed, and will be ready for me to unpause and have at tomorrow when I get off of work.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:03:50 pm by Ter13 »
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The new, and properly planned fortress: AbyssDepths
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:32:51 pm »

I doubt that you need that much space for nobility, but whatever floats your boat. Also, from what I can tell, there's only 36 rooms in the housing districts? Besides that it looks brilliant.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:43:55 pm »

I doubt that you need that much space for nobility, but whatever floats your boat. Also, from what I can tell, there's only 36 rooms in the housing districts? Besides that it looks brilliant.

There are a lot more houses than that scattered. There are only 44 rooms marked as houses.

Right now I've got about 100 rooms placed, and I'm going to get cracking on the last of the job-related areas (Siege engines, armories, etc.) when I get back from work.

Every dwarf will have a 3x5 room with a bed, a chair, a chest, a cabinet, an armor stand and weapon rack, and some other random adornments.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:45:43 pm »

Spolin them, eh? I can just tell that horrible, horrible things are going to crop up with the underground river.

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 08:08:44 pm »

I've got that feeling too. I predict two dead dwarves, and three in the infirmary (read: DROWNED in the infirmary) before I get it sealed properly...

As for flooding, I see that being the cause of at least three save scums.

Getting into the bottomless pit to build my garbage disposal towers will probably also lose me a few dwarves.

It's not a coincidence that the infirmary will have fast access to the catacombs... And similar "plumbing" to that of the nobles' chambers... Again, if you know what I mean...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:15:17 pm »

Ohhhh man, this is gonna be awesome. Are you going to dig a massive labyrinth at any point?

bobthepeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:16:05 pm »

Its.... Beautiful..

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:41:52 pm »

Also, it took me a while to figure out that the Depot had ramps on the sides.

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 09:52:08 pm »

That is nothing short of inspiring to see. I'm going to have to try something like that-- I never thought to plan the entire fort out from the beginning.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:12:29 pm »

Looks very nice, and dwarvenly complicated :P

The Living quarters of all dwarves are located less than 50 steps from their respective workshops. Each floor houses a set number of dwarves for each profession in that area, a few haulers, and a few "support types" as well. (refuse haulers near kitchens and farms, etc.)

Hm. I've been paranoid about workshop noise lately.
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Finalfish

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 12:15:59 am »

My god...

ALL MY EFFORTS ARE MEANINGLESS!!! I AM DIRT BENEATH YOUR BOOTS!!!

In all seriousness your fortress is the greatest I've ever seen and you MUST post pics of it when it's complete.
Did you think of this all yourself? Is there somewhere that you learned such styles? I'm afraid I'm still stuck on my rigid rectangular technique.
Lastly, which tile set are you using?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:19:12 am by Finalfish »

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 07:49:48 am »

Wouldn't having the mass housing directly above workshops cause a lot of restless and disturbed sleeping?

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 09:13:09 am »

Very impressive and it looks awesome :)

I sometimes carefully plan a few sections ahead, trying to make them both functional and aesthetically pleasing, but never anything close to this 8)

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 09:16:05 am »

Sigh...  Just when I thought my ten story spiral staircase around a magmafall was particularly awesome, this shows up.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 10:59:29 am »

Man, and I htought my "planed" fortress was getting it good with the AWESOME starting site... this.. this just blows everythingaway! I DEMAND you send out pics as you cosntruct this glorious monument to Dwarfkind!

EDIT: just to make this even MORE epic... when the day comes that it is fully carved out and finished... He should then dig all of the stone AROUND it , allowing this great wonder to be viewed using 3Dwarf
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 11:14:00 am by Crossroads Inc. »
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8