Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: The new, and properly planned fortress: AbyssDepths  (Read 39601 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The new, and properly planned fortress: AbyssDepths
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 03:51:29 pm »

Wouldn't having the mass housing directly above workshops cause a lot of restless and disturbed sleeping?

Not to mention the nobles with the workshops right by them. Tanners make as much noise as masons, after all.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 04:01:54 pm »

Ter13, how do you make your circles? Is it an autohotkey macro? If so could you post it?

I am also curiouse about this. You couldn't possible do it by normal means.

I routinely make lots of circles like this by hand.  It's tedious, and I use a paint program to help me plan out the larger ones, but the more one does it, the better one gets at doing it reasonably quickly.  (Quickly on a relative scale.  It still of course takes a long time compared to just doing rectangles.)  And I don't mind the tedium.  The creativity of laying out an elegant and functional fortress given the constraints of the geography is probably the part of this game that I enjoy the most.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 04:35:56 pm »

Ter13, how do you make your circles? Is it an autohotkey macro? If so could you post it?

a circle AHK macro can be found over at http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30589.msg414807#msg414807

I find that writing flexible programs to do stuff like that for me is a lot of fun, and opens up some fortress designs that would be too tedious for me to do manually.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 06:21:45 pm »

The gobbos and their clothes get burnt leaving only the iron, i then retrtact the bridge causing the magma/iron mixture to fall on some grates above a drainage channel right next to my smelters, leaving me with a pile of iron for my furnace operators to smelt.

Well thats the theory anway. I havent managed to finish it quite yet but im getting there.

Er.  No, it's not going to work.  I was very excited when you mentioned this process at first, but on reading the wiki carefully, I can see that the iron will either be consumed, or left behind unmelted.  Your dream of turning a river of magma into iron bars is a futile one, I'm afraid.

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 08:31:02 pm »

i know the iron isnt going to melt. But it is magma proof so that i will be left with a pile of narrow iron chain leggings or w/e and no other goblin related crap. The point is not to use the magma to melt the iron armor into bars but to turn seiges into a pile of meltable iron next to my smelters in a dwarfy and efficient way.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 09:55:42 pm »

yup, I use the same method in my current fortress, except I also wash out the blood and gore too. (oddly enough, sometimes the floor gets packed with blocks of obsidian.  ::)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 12:32:17 am »

I've been ignoring this thread, and quite pleased by the responses now that I am back!

The circles are all done by hand, it's tedious, but I've enjoyed it a lot.

The workshops are spaced in such a way that MOST dwarves will not be bothered by the noise, but the waterfalls + legendary dining hall ought to balance the bad thought out more than a bit.

As for the asymmetrical circles, that is being caused by the scale of the photos. I assure you that everything but the tower cap farm (which is still incomplete) is perfectly symmetrical.

As for the flooding issues, I am in the process of harnessing my drainage tubes for further energy so that I can install pumps to make flooding nearly impossible.

Further construction of a huge shopping district above-ground is in the works once the economy starts.

If the new version allows me to play somewhat lag-free at 200 dwarves, I might raise the cap to 300 and play around with 100 extra dwarves...

As for anybody who was wondering about the design, it all sort of just fell together. I like fractals, but none of this was done with fractal design. I tend to not use them in construction. I like circles in combination with symmetrical layouts, and I absolutely love moroccan rugs and indian tapestries, so I like to make designs in general, and I find that a lot of my work is reminiscent of those designs.

I'm a big planner. I love planning in advance, and I love starting new fortresses. This one is going to be a bit of a chore, as my Dwarves are going to have to make the most of too much space at first, and work continually until my first wave of migrants arrive.

I will be incorporating choke points into the design, and setting up temporary workshops and stockpiles until I can get more dwarfpower.

Farms are going to be tough to get started, as there is NO water until I tap the underground river and pump it into the fortress, which involves a massive water tower, and hundreds of tiles of constructions to build the suspended aqueduct.

I'm still planning this fortress, I've only got 145/200 dwarves occupied right now, and only three more craft districts to make. I have the feeling that I went overkill on my glassworks, but it's okay, as I can throw jewelers in with the glassblowers. I still have to plan my armoury and military quarters, but I think they will both be under my main entryway, so it should be pretty easy to accommodate them.

The design itself is more fun for me than watching the dwarves do the work, but seeing something completed is really cool. One thing I'd like to do once I have 200 dwarves, is dig out everything, and flood it with Magma, and then flood it with water. It'd be nice to have an entirely obsidian fortress.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2009, 12:56:35 am »

even better! encase the fortress in a glass bubble, flood the world with magma, and then run bauxite pump towers up to turn it all into obsidian with water. BOOM! instant excavation site for a buried civilization.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 06:22:48 pm »

how goes construction? can you post screen shots as you progress?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 12:44:05 am »

Wow. I mean, I've only played maybe 20 forts now but that design leaves me in shock. It's effing amazing.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 12:34:59 pm »

Yeah man give us an update
Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 09:56:18 pm »

I'm still getting the planning set up. I have a few minor problems now that I know where my magma pipe and underground river are, so I haven't even unpaused since the first screenshots were taken.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 09:59:37 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2009, 10:05:54 pm »

Original post has been edited to show my progress. There isn't a lot in the gameplay aspect, but the plan has become infinitely more complex. Read the description of how the water works... It'll blow your mind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2009, 10:28:18 pm »

holy nuggets.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8