Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for Skilled Architect ...  (Read 775 times)

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for Skilled Architect ...
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:01:13 pm »

I'd like to explore the wonderful world of aboveground constructions, but I keep creating -fortress plans- when I aspire to !!*fortress plans*!!

I know there are some design nerds out there...Help me plan my fort!

Here's a floorplan, the square pit is the human structure I just collapsed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm looking for a clever forumdweller to scribble plans in MS paint (i.e. curtain wall here, keep there, elf drowning caravanserai etc...) I'm looking for aesthetically pleasing, but square and dorfy is an option too. if any elaborate traps are beyond my capability currently, I'll research on the wiki and hack it out.

If I like your plans... I'll execute any other demands you choose to make, christen a dorf in your name and provide abundantly for his/her comfort in the material world, badass death, and opulent afterlife accomodations. :)

I know fort design appeals to some among you... halp!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Skilled Architect ...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:31:33 pm »

How dwarven do you want it? My last aboveground fortress came with a ton of restrictions, so I should be able to scribble out something nice. And I likely inspired the idea that dwarven fortress are square and blocks after, you know, Healedabby

Also, it should be a pleasure to design traps. What are the map features? Aquifer? Magma pipe?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:54:10 pm »

This sounds like fun. I will begin working on this tomorrow. How many levels do you want it to sprawl?
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:20:58 am »

I love healedabbey! :) Eep, I haven't looked at it in a while.... (turns out I'm a silent stalker of most of the current "notable" forts, mwa ha ha.)

I like circles, but when it comes to building things above ground, I wind up making plain empty un lived in cylindrical/conical towers cos the part of my brain that formulates rooms when 'digging them out' is just not kicking in for some reason.

As for levels, I've got loads of trees, 2x soil and the rest igneous (gabbro mostly) and I'd like to combine "digging down" with building up, my self-imposed restrictions are at the VERY least, everything outside is made of blocks, as little cave adaption as possible (sometimes my engraver comes down with a case, when he does too much tomb-smoothing etc). I'd like to incorporate a tomb/memorial for all the dead humies, even if I can't bury them properly.

Just the river -- no aquifer or magma pipe. (I haven't managed a tree-fueled  metal production cycle since my first fort) No sand sadly, but I love glass enough that I might try to hack it in (if anyone's made it possible in 40d9 yet?) As many levels up and/or down as you like! (I've got 15z underground) From what I've seen in other all-igneous layers, I should be able to produce loads of Electrum. I'm expecting iron to come in yearly goblin harvests (and I can melt the zillions of iron/steel whatevers the humans have.)

(if you care for a closer look, and the future updates, I've put the link to the dfma page in my sig)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:42:54 am by Chromie »