Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress linked to German school shooting :(  (Read 7357 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress linked to German school shooting :(
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2009, 10:22:32 pm »

And I just think you're disregarding out-of-hand a lot of the chan-related subculture there is. All the signs of an obvious, coherent subculture are there: Common slang language constructs, common sense of humor, common cultural knowledge of a sort, etc. What the subject matter is is irrelevant in itself to that fact. So no, it's not like a bunch of guys talking about a McDonald's sandwich, and in a lot of ways, it's more a unique subculture than something like this forum, drawing a distinction between "place where guys come to talk about a common interest" and "place where guys all adopt similar behavior and speech patterns and norms far from those of society at large".

Do you think of subculture and community as synonymous?  I'm not going to quibble over it, but I don't know anyone who does.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress linked to German school shooting :(
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2009, 10:43:13 pm »

You kind of need a community for it to have a subculture. Not necessarily an extremely tight-knit community, but it's like saying "society" vs. "culture". One is the group of people and one is the commonality between them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]