Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arlitast - A story of Vengance, Heroism and Glass Wardrobes  (Read 711 times)

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arlitast - A story of Vengance, Heroism and Glass Wardrobes
« on: March 13, 2009, 04:44:18 pm »

Okay, a brief histroy of this fortress. Arlitast was a succession fortress on the Gaming Steve Forums. Because it had no lava and very little flux stone we were a less "Dwarfy" fort than others. Instead of tough, burly, ultra agile metalworkers we had tough, burly, ultra agile cloth workers and glassmakers. We had a lot of farmers, 34 planters, cooks or brewers, the next highest majority was 16 craftdwarves. We had 10 metalsmiths at one point, however most of them are metalcrafter milita (or for Total War players MILLISHAAA!). Because of this we had a super high luxury rate and a super low tanrum rate. Nearing the end of it's lifetime we started work on a megaproject, a huge pyramid which pumps water, ready for the incoming king. However the thread died, and after many months Celdur has sent me the file, I am going to continue it using my Captian of the Guard Character, who is starting to develop a James Bond Villian personality, and currently owns the best tomb which he made for himself.

Read the full Histories Here.

Prolouge

We goblins are a proud race, defending the world from extreme evil and destroying the Rock hugging filth that are the dwarvern Race. There are many major dwarf settlements are around the world, however none more vile than Arlitast, hiding themselves behind a massive clothes and weaving trade, making them seem passive and un-important to most goblin nations, however we can see the real truth. Their terrible dictator, Plank of Wood, rules with an iron fist, creating an arena for his pleasure and entertainment. The dwarves fully hate our rights, when captured we are treated as scum, not prisoners of war, and kill us or force us to become gladiators to fight to the death for our freedom.

We will lay seige tommorow, hopefully we sneak past their huge defences. Once we have proken in through their waterworks, we will begin pumping pre-maturely and flood the fortress. If we cannot escape in time then we will die knowing we saved the world from a great evil, If we escape we will be treated as heroes.

---

Curses! Their elité guard have slaughtered our party, our men were forced into the weapon traps and ripped to shreads by serrated blade and old weaponry from many failed attacks before. I managed to avoid the carnage, and I am living in the swamps nearby, stealing what I can from the corpses on the battlefield. Luckily, I have met a dwarf who sympthises with our cause. He told me he will try to spy on the Captian of the Guard and disrupt his plans. Only the Demon knows what they are up to in that Citidel...

Diary of Captian of the Guard, "Plank of Wood" Glovedwink

4th Opal

I have been inclined lately to build an office deep in the City's mines, with a view of the Arena, after all, it is my arena. Hopefully the captured titan will put up a good fight against our captured goblin bandits, however I doubt my underground palace will be complete in time, so I will postpone the fight until after work has been completed. Oh, and a large goblin attack took place today, luckily our brave men destroyed half of them and the rest routed. I'm sure that's not the last of them, but we decided to not tell the citizens about the attack, lest we scare their simple minds.

As a publicity stunt, I am performing a bit of masonry on the pyramid along with the commoners to ensure their loyalty for the time being.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 05:22:37 pm by Plank of Wood »
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arlitast - A story of Vengance, Heroism and Glass Wardrobes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 06:25:39 am »

Diary of Captian of the Guard, "Plank of Wood" Glovedwink

4th Granite 219

A goblin ambush occured. Luckily our wardogs dispatched the attackers quickly. More notably, we traded with the elves today. We sold old goblin clothing with our images sown on to them, in exchange they gave us some caged animals, including a black bear, a grizzly, a leopard and a mountain goat. Hopefully on their next caravan we will be able to buy a breeding pair.

However their diplomat also came with them, I considered accusing him of theivery and having him test out my torture chamber, but I decided against it. Anyway, he met with our Duke Nishshigos who refused to agree to their demands.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

15th Felisite 29

Not much has happened since the last entry, however we are halfway through the second layer of the pyramid. Hopefully we can get the fountain system working.

Also, I found this on the commoner's market:

Look's like we're the fashion center of the Dwarf World.

26th Felisite 219

A child was taken by a fey mood. Hopefully it's going to be something useful.
Wait, no, the child claimed a craftshop.

1st Hematite 219

Status of the fort as of the end of Spring.

13th Hematite 219

Caravan spotted! The humans will supply us with all the metal and booze we need!

17th Hematite 219

A new mayor has been elected. Hopefully he is as spineless and easy to manipulatte as the last one.

Events on the 23rd Malachite

The warm mid-summer day steamed from the swamp, the humid air spreading across the fortifications. Sodel Youngpicks was the leader of one half of the Fortress's mighty champions. Many dwarves had died before him, and he had stood out along with 7 others. He took much delight in fighting, and saw a seige as an adventure. This is why he is known as "The Delightful Adventure". As he walked down the sandy floor of the slum district he wandered past a craftdwarf workshop, inside it was a little girl. In a trance like state she worked on a wooden toy boat. It menaced with spikes of Plume algate, slate and the sails were decorated with rope weed. On it was an image of the Famous Dwarf Rigoth Pantedpainted. The sails had an image of a blazing sun sown into them in pig tail, along with a fly in moonstone and waves were put around the base in turtle shell.

With a confident shrug, the girl said "Sizzlebursts" and skipped off. Sodel went forward to pick up this work of art, which had enchanted the young soul so much. The moment he touched it, he suddenly had an ephiney. He realised his goal in life, he knew what he had to do. Just as the crafter of the boat was forced by a divine power to create an object, Sodel was possesed to create something more.

He ran back to the barracks as fast as he could. And yelled out "Everyone in my squad, come with me!". The small and dirty barracks erupted with movement to let the 6 champions through, out of the hot room and into the slightly cooler seaside breaze. The only noise came from the barely built pyramid as masons hammer blocks into place. Below the ground was bare of grass and covered with the skulls of goblin dead. With the ship in hand, Sodel raised his arm and shouted, with the voice of a god, to his champions.

"We have fought loyally for our race, our home and our leaders, we are a chosen few, we could have been one of the dead that lay in our tombs but by the grace of divine intervention we have been saved! My faith towards Istrath, the god of wealth, has not gone unrewarded. He and the other gods have given me a chance to prove that you are worhty to become a demi-god, be reborn as a powerful being! They have shown me with this sign in the form of a toy ship that We must form a group of Warriors, un-equaled and un-spoiled by the grace of the god's! Who wishes to become immortalised though self-sacrifice, or who is a coward?"

The dwarves looked at eachother akwardly, some thought he was truely a chosen one, others thought he had gone mad from the horrors of war. None were brave enough. Sodel was not a man to openly express what was on his mind, whatever was forcing him to do this was a powerful force of nature, or he was extremely mentally sick.

One champion went forward, kneeled and said "For Istrath!", sword in air. With this breaking of the ice, the 5 other champions went forward, and did the same. Sodel smiled. "From this day on" he said in a booming voice "We will be known as the Knights of the Sun! This spot will be our fortress, these people will be ours! The mayor, my love, will not harm us and keep us safe from any royal intervention! We are the holy Knights of the Sun, and shall not fall!"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:04:44 pm by Plank of Wood »
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.