Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improved Foods  (Read 1321 times)

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improved Foods
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:09:21 am »

I'm sure there must be something like this somewhere, but a search for "improved food" and some related permutations thereof didn't net me anything.

The idea is quite simple. We pool efforts to create a nested list of food types, organized to show what has vegetable, meat, etc. Toady has a lot on his plate, and the more scutwork we can take off his hands the sooner he can implement stuff. So if we compile the list, he can create the new class and datafields therein and use our ready-made listing to flesh things out, speeding up the process.
We'd end up with the potential for much more variety in foods, and a much more logical and sensible handling of them. If, for example, workshops-as-areas gets implemented, we can reasonably expect to have the cook prepare food on the fly for hungry dwarves. For dwarves on a break, maybe they pick up a cup of soup and a sandwich. At mealtimes throughout the day maybe they serve a roast side of meat on a table and let dwarves chip away at it, then at the end of the mealtime it gets brought back to the kitchen and preserved at a lessened quality and hungry dwarves in search of a midnight snack can grab a quick bite. If you want a 24-7 fortress, set up a rotation of cooks to keep the kitchens open all the time and fresh food constantly available. Also this would add the possibility of food wasteage.  :o Not to mention, nobles might demand a separate kitchen and/or fancier foods.

But I digress.

Easy---Sandwich
Bread + Meat = 2 sandwiches.

Easy---Salad
Plant + Dressing (Spices + Milk?) = 2 salads.

etc.

Edit: The perils of searching at 3am. =)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:24:52 am by tsen »
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Foods
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:38:55 am »

Your searches have, sadly, failed you; there have been many mentions in the past of improved cooking that encompasses composite foods and appropriate ingredient combination, rather than syrup roasts sauteéd with syrup and sprinkled with ground syrup.

No harm, though. With the opening of the kitchen workshop raws next version, we may be one step closer to seeing this as a reality - perhaps even doable by way of mods.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!