Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Krogan Mod  (Read 1342 times)

Rothwar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Krogan Mod
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:37:55 pm »

I want to re-create the Krogan race from Mass Effect in DF, and I need a few tags clarified.

[LARGE_PREDATOR]: Will this make my Krogans better hunters? Will it interfere with [INTELLIGENT]?

[ENTITY] Can I create a "SWAMP" entity?

[AMBUSH_PREDATOR]: Will this work in Fort mode?

Also, is it possible to simulate a redundant secondary set of major vital organs, that way if they sustain critical damage to one heart/lung/etc, the other one will kick in and the creature won't die?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Krogan Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 01:54:56 pm »

i duno about large_predator interfering with inteligent... but you can name an entity anythinh you want, so long as the name's unique. and although i'm not sure about ambush_predator, you should be able to find the tag you want in either the kobold or goblin entities.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 01:57:27 pm »

Entity name does not determine where the entity lives.  That is in the biome tags.  I can't remember them off-hand.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 02:38:34 pm »

[LARGE_PREDATOR] will make them automatically aggressive, at least to all smaller creatures, and [AMBUSH_PREDATOR] will give them ambusher skill. I think.

And AFAIK you can do that redundant organ stuff. Probably, all you need is to create doubles of the relevant [BODY] tags. Won't stop them from dying, though, pierced hearts are usually fatal.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:43:48 pm »

And AFAIK you can do that redundant organ stuff. Probably, all you need is to create doubles of the relevant [BODY] tags. Won't stop them from dying, though, pierced hearts are usually fatal.

I'm pretty sure duplicate vitals make you more vulnerable. there's the hydra bug (fixed in the upcomming version iirc) where if you remove any one of it's heads it'll die.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Rothwar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 04:43:13 pm »

So do I just increase damblock to simulate regeneration?Or is there a more elegant solution?

Rothwar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 04:46:53 pm »

Double Post! Can I make my krogans resistant to extreme temperatures? How about toxins?

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 04:30:37 am »

Are you making pre or post-genophage Krogan? ::)
Although I don't think the multiple litters rare tag is enough for 1-1000 chances to concieve, removing it entirely & giving a low baby/child age limit should be enough if you go the other way.
For representing their ... aptitude for violence, I'd suggest going through the wiki for useful tags.

The krogan had a very large and rapid birth rate, so they quickly over-populated all of the worlds gifted to them for winning the Rachnai Wars a couple centuries earlier. As the krogan tried to expand outward aggressively to get more land war erupted. Krogan battle tactics were based off of brute strength and massive numbers thanks to their birth rate, so around this time the turians also entered the war and salarian scientists engineered the Genophage. The turians deployed the virus and ended the war, winning over their place on the Council and taking away the krogan's numerical advantage.

The Genophage works by infecting every single cell in the krogan body, meaning that simple gene therapy can't fix it. It technically doesn't make the krogan infertile like most people think, but still hundreds of krogan infants die in still birth and most don't even make it that far. As a result, krogan females that can carry children to term are highly coveted.
Just something I pulled off the internet - it should be useful to reference either way.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 04:42:10 am by Urist McDetective »
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Rothwar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 07:37:23 pm »

Pre-genophage. They'll have an explosive birthrate. I think I set it at 12-16. I included all of the personality tags, and based on what I've seen they'll be accurate that way. I've also added varren to replace dogs. I just added more damage, damblock, and I upped the litter chances. Eventually, I'll have an entire Tuchanka mod, but for now, I just want these guys to work.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:38:55 am »

So do I just increase damblock to simulate regeneration?Or is there a more elegant solution?

Regeneration in DF is difficult. I've seen Orcs (size 7, damblock 3, superorcishly tough) heal from embedded crossbow bolts during sieges, but I think that that's mostly the toughness, and AFAIK there is no way to give the rank and file extra toughness. I'd probably go with damblock and maybe a size bump.

Large predator should not interfere with intelligent. I suspect that the tag that you want is [AMBUSHER] entity tag, not the [AMBUSH_PREDATOR] creature tag.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.