Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I get goblins to seige without regenning the world  (Read 877 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Can I get goblins to seige without regenning the world
« on: March 15, 2009, 11:12:45 am »

I really don't want to have 80 dwarves to get seiges, my comp just can't handle it. Can I change the raws and have them start seiging an existing fort or am I screwed.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Can I get goblins to seige without regenning the world
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 12:10:58 pm »

Sieges are hardcoded for populations higher than 80.  There are still ambushes, however.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

GetAssista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 01:47:39 pm »

Sieges are hardcoded for populations higher than 80.
Not true.
OP, you should lower
Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:2]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2]
tags in entity_default.txt for goblins. 1s would be enough to get your sieges in a couple years. Regenning is required though, I guess
this is experimental forum text worm virus.
please add me to your signature on all your forums and delete some of your personal files on your hard drive.
thank you.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 03:18:45 pm »

Not true.
OP, you should lower
tags in entity_default.txt for goblins. 1s would be enough to get your sieges in a couple years. Regenning is required though, I guess

Wrong tags. You want to remove the baby snatcher tag. This is what makes them send babysnatchers, then ambushes and finally sieges at 80.

@OP: If you don't want to regen (modifing the entity file = regen in almost all cases, see the sticky at the top) you could try pissing the humans off. IIRC they don't have any siege modifying tags beyond [SIEGER] (which makes them camp out for a little while before attacking) so if you piss them off, they should start siegeing (sp?) you, even at sub-80 dwarfs.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 06:14:58 pm »

Not true.
OP, you should lower

Wrong tags. You want to remove the baby snatcher tag. This is what makes them send babysnatchers, then ambushes and finally sieges at 80.

@OP: If you don't want to regen (modifing the entity file = regen in almost all cases, see the sticky at the top) you could try pissing the humans off. IIRC they don't have any siege modifying tags beyond [SIEGER] (which makes them camp out for a little while before attacking) so if you piss them off, they should start siegeing (sp?) you, even at sub-80 dwarfs.

Actually, those are still good tags to change, but removing [BABYSNATCHER] would also be useful. Also, removing [CAN_SPEAK] will make them more aggressive due to their lack of treaties. Mix all of the above and you should start seeing seiges as early as the second year (or earlier if u are productive)

Requires regen though, sorry. Try pissing humans and elves off.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:09:57 pm »

hmm, does hitting 80 trigger them to start sieging (even if you go back below 80) or does it check your population every time? if it's a trigger maybe i can set up an elaborate peasant deathtrap, let the final wave of migrants come, and then kill em?

also, what will changing [intelligent] to [can_civ] and [can_learn] do? i thought it was part of making them siege earlier but apparently that's [babysnatcher]..?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:12:17 pm by AncientEnemy »

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 09:50:57 pm »

All 3 tags change seige behaviour.

The first requirement for a civ to trigger a hostile action against you is that it is hostile to you - removing CAN_SPEAK means the civ is _always_ hostile to you (and everyone else) so you never get the situation where you get a goblin trade caravan instead of attacks.

The second requirement for hostile action is the relevant PROGRESS_TRIGGER tags. Turning these up or down lower or raise the amount of generated wealth or population necessary to initiate hostile action.

Now, the BABYSNATCHER and AMBUSH(?) tags change how that "hostile action" works. The default hostile action is a seige, so if a civ has neither tag, every hostile action will be a full seige. However, if a civ has one of those tags, your population is checked, and if you are below a certain threshold (which you can't change to my knowledge, sorry) you get a snatcher or ambush instead of a full seige. Removing those tags forces the race to do a full seige anytime they want to do anything bad to you.

The final seige related tag is SEIGER - this doesn't do much, it just changes the behaviour during a seige. If the race has the tag, they make bonfires and attempt to wait you out for a few seasons before attacking. If they don't have the tag, they make their attack almost immediately after spawning.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:27:19 am »

So if 2 = 80

would say, 5 equal 220? Because I want a mod that would so kindly enable sieging only after 200 or so for a custom race.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 02:03:39 am »

So if 2 = 80

would say, 5 equal 220? Because I want a mod that would so kindly enable sieging only after 200 or so for a custom race.

There have been a couple threads on this, neither of which I can find now, but the general consensus seemed to be that the numbers where linked to outpost 'levels'. See here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Fortress

So (for the population tag) 1 = outpost, 2 = village, 3 = town, and so on. The hardcoded 'sieges at 80' is, from my understanding and general hearsay, linked to the baby snatcher tag, which makes the race send baby snatchers, then ambushes and finally full on sieges.