Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Change temperature to Celsius  (Read 61824 times)

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Change temperature to Celsius
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2009, 05:14:44 am »

Voting for keeping Fahrenheit+10K internally. That scale means we don't need decimals for HOMEOTHERM values nor negative numbers if there's ever a need for supernatural cold.  This will make the game go faster, even if it is totally arbitrary.

Are you aware that 0° F are not supernaturally cold? It's about -17.7° Celsius. If you go up a mountain about 2000m tall in winter, you'll easily have something in these temparatures... AND SOMEDWARF WILL.

It's fahrenheit +10000, so 0 on this scale would be ways below absolute zero. There is no place on earth where it's below absolute zero. That I know of :). Well, maybe in the genital parts of Alice Schwartzer, but that's another topic.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2009, 09:27:11 am »

Voting for keeping Fahrenheit+10K internally. That scale means we don't need decimals for HOMEOTHERM values nor negative numbers if there's ever a need for supernatural cold.  This will make the game go faster, even if it is totally arbitrary.

Are you aware that 0° F are not supernaturally cold? It's about -17.7° Celsius. If you go up a mountain about 2000m tall in winter, you'll easily have something in these temparatures... AND SOMEDWARF WILL.

Also, Fahrenheit is based on the irrational, stupid human, 100 being fever, and 0 being I-don't-know-what.
Celsius is based on the cold, hard facts of physics, namely the boiling and freezing temparatures of water in a 1-bar environment.
It is the coldest temperature reachable by the leading science men of the day.  (Ice covered in salt)
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2009, 08:34:49 pm »

Also, Fahrenheit is based on the irrational, stupid human, 100 being fever, and 0 being I-don't-know-what.

It was standardized based on 32 being the melting point of water and 96 being (as well as could be measured at the time) normal human body temperature - why is everyone so obsessed with the decimal system that 100 has to mean something? and 32 was used instead of 0 so that there wouldn't be negative numbers for normal weather temperatures

Celsius is based on the cold, hard facts of physics, namely the boiling and freezing temparatures of water in a 1-bar environment.

In other words, the boiling and freezing temperatures of an arbitrarily chosen substance at an arbitrary pressure.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2009, 11:34:54 pm »

It was standardized based on 32 being the melting point of water and 96 being (as well as could be measured at the time) normal human body temperature - why is everyone so obsessed with the decimal system that 100 has to mean something? and 32 was used instead of 0 so that there wouldn't be negative numbers for normal weather temperatures
I said earlier, that 0 was the coldest temperature they could record.  They covered ice in salt, and that was what they got.

Also, I heard somewhere that your spit freezes after it hits the ground at like -30, before it hits the ground at -50.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2009, 01:13:01 am »

It was standardized based on 32 being the melting point of water and 96 being (as well as could be measured at the time) normal human body temperature - why is everyone so obsessed with the decimal system that 100 has to mean something?

100F was supposed to be a healthy body temperature, but the dude's wife was running a 3-4 degree fever when he measured her temp and didn't find out until much later.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2009, 05:47:37 am »

In other words, the boiling and freezing temperatures of an arbitrarily chosen substance at an arbitrary pressure.

I am obsessed with the decimal system because it's used everywhere else. We count in decimal, most of the world population measures decimal (as opposed to '12 inches are one foot' crap) and because it's generally the easiest numeral system. Would it seem logical to you when 92 % would represent a full chance instead of 100 %?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:50:09 am by Dwarf »
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2009, 01:43:39 pm »

DIE, THREAD, DIE!
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2009, 05:28:19 pm »

It was standardized based on 32 being the melting point of water and 96 being (as well as could be measured at the time) normal human body temperature - why is everyone so obsessed with the decimal system that 100 has to mean something?

100F was supposed to be a healthy body temperature, but the dude's wife was running a 3-4 degree fever when he measured her temp and didn't find out until much later.

Again, NO. Healthy body temperature was supposed to be 96, 64 (nice power of 2) degrees above freezing.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2009, 05:31:20 pm »

I am obsessed with the decimal system because it's used everywhere else. We count in decimal, most of the world population measures decimal (as opposed to '12 inches are one foot' crap) and because it's generally the easiest numeral system. Would it seem logical to you when 92 % would represent a full chance instead of 100 %?

Ten can be divided by exactly two numbers: two and five. 100 can be divided by 2, 4, 5, 25, 20, and 50. It notably can't be divided into thirds, sixths, eighths, etc etc.

And we all count 360 degrees in a circle, right? (sure maybe some physicists use radians, but the same people who buy meat measured in kilograms and drinks measured in liters use degrees)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2009, 06:28:56 pm »

Again, NO. Healthy body temperature was supposed to be 96, 64 (nice power of 2) degrees above freezing.

*Wiki*
Ok, I conceed.

However, it changed due to the fact that water boiled at almost 180 degrees above freezing, so the scale was changed just slightly to accommodate that beautiful number.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 13, 2009, 04:30:27 pm »

(quote abbreviated to make post smaller)
[argumentative statement ignoring previous counterarguments]
You just don't get it, do you?  It's easier to remember multiples of 10 than multiples of, say, 8.  100 is simply a reasonably sized number for something near what your unit is based off of.

25o= room temp ; that's easy to remember.  In Fahrenheit, I don't know what the hell it is, and I'm American.

Also, as previously stated, water is NOT an arbitrary substance.  In fact, it is one of the most common elements found throughout the whole universe (so far as we can tell, thanks to spectroscopy and the laws of entropy).  There is also no substance that could substitute water in sheer diversity of naturally occurring uses (a.k.a: life, weather, etc.).

Now drop this thread.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2009, 04:42:45 pm »

(I am responding to the entire conversation Dwarf was quoting, as well as his own post, but I decided to trim the quote, as the rest of my post is big enough already)

See, the problem with that is that you're applying the rules for everything else to measures. Our mathematics are base-10, so base-10 is best, I'll give you. The problem is, measures aren't made to be logical, measures are made to be useful. That's why I, personally, think Fahrenheit is better. It is more precise, and it provides precisely one useful function, namely, that a human being's health can be easily determined by whether their body temperature is above or below 100. Certainly, when dealing with precise scientific measures, Kelvin should be used in all cases, but for everyday use, Fahrenheit is just handier.

The other metric measures have similar problems. The meter is useful, but the decimeter is just meaningless, unlike the foot, which is a very handy measure. A lot of things out there are about a foot long. This is why I think it would solve a whole lot of problems if metric just added a new measurement. Call it a foot and define it as three decimeters (which is about .98 of an imperial foot). I do prefer metric (except, as I mentioned, in the case of temperature), but there's no reason not to add a few other constants that are just for usability. Measures are abstractions entirely for our benefit, so we should make sure they benefit us as much as possible.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2009, 05:56:41 pm »

(quote abbreviated to make post smaller)
[argumentative statement ignoring previous counterarguments]
You just don't get it, do you?  It's easier to remember multiples of 10 than multiples of, say, 8.  100 is simply a reasonably sized number for something near what your unit is based off of.

Which does not change the fact that claiming some absurd meaning for 100°F - a point on the scale which has _never_ been defined to mean anything in particular, is a logical fallacy.

Also, as previously stated, water is NOT an arbitrary substance.  In fact, it is one of the most common elements found throughout the whole universe (so far as we can tell, thanks to spectroscopy and the laws of entropy).

Well, it's not an element, but maybe it's up there as one of the most common compounds. It's probably got nothing on elemental hydrogen.

There is also no substance that could substitute water in sheer diversity of naturally occurring uses (a.k.a: life, weather, etc.).

How earth-centric.

Now drop this thread.

Why do so many people insist on demanding that discussion be dropped?

So anyway, why are there 360 degrees in a circle, and not 100? That was the one genuinely new point I made in the post you were replying to, and you ignored it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:59:15 pm by Random832 »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2009, 07:22:51 pm »

I think SI uses 100o circles.

Anyway, the most common elements are some of the low-mass metals and nonmetals.  Those never show up in elemental form(except noble gases and low-mass noble metals).  Elemental hydrogen is highly reactive, and if there is oxygen around (which there always will be in nature), it will likely form water.

In stars almost everything is in plasma form, in which they stripped of electrons.  An element is a substance, but when an atom is in non-elemental form, it is a different substance.  Water is the most common substance

As for the Earth-centric comment . . . Only the planets that are on the highest extremes of heat or cold (naturally possible) don't have weather.  Besides, life and weather are just examples.

And people keep insisting that the discussion be dropped because there is a lot of faulty logic behind some arguments.

Fahrenheit is far less useful than Celsius or Kelvin - as stated by others, F's best use is for the human body.  As for being more precise, there are decimal numbers (fractions).  Let them enter your life.  Even Fahrenheit has to use them, more often than you'd think.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2009, 08:28:53 pm »

A foot is a really silly unit of measurement, when you hear 'foot' as an object, do you think of anything that wouldn't horrify you if it's dimensions actually approached a foot in size?

I would guess that many things are about a foot in size because feet have been the most used measurement for a long time. Feet are, however, really unpleasant if you want to compare two objects of drastically different sizes. Do you have any idea just how high a plane is if it is at 10000 feet...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14