Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Change temperature to Celsius  (Read 62933 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Change temperature to Celsius
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2009, 08:46:17 pm »

Do you have any idea just how high a plane is if it is at 10000 feet...
Not one, and feet are what I grew up with.  Give it to me in SI, and I might have a better idea.  That's the old system for ya.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2009, 09:10:04 pm »

Do you have any idea just how high a plane is if it is at 10000 feet...

A little under 2 miles, about one third normal cruising altitude of commercial aircraft.

Grae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2009, 06:38:36 am »

Hi all, first time ever posting here.

I'm sure this has been done by others, but I wrote a fairly simple tool converts between fahrenheit, celcius, kelvin and DF Temperature Units (calling it urist for lack of more concise term.)

It utilizes JavaScript, so you'll need to enable it if you don't have it turned on already.
You can use it here: http://andvari.us/dwarf_temp_tool.html
To use it offline simply download the html file anywhere to your computer and point your web browser at the local file.

I put a CC0 notice at the bottom of the page; it's all big and official looking, but the only thing I intended to convey was that I'm putting this out there for anyone to use however they want, they don't even have to give me any credit.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2009, 11:13:11 am »

I think SI uses 100o circles.

Anyway, the most common elements are some of the low-mass metals and nonmetals.  Those never show up in elemental form(except noble gases and low-mass noble metals).  Elemental hydrogen is highly reactive, and if there is oxygen around (which there always will be in nature), it will likely form water.

In stars almost everything is in plasma form, in which they stripped of electrons.  An element is a substance, but when an atom is in non-elemental form, it is a different substance.  Water is the most common substance

As for the Earth-centric comment . . . Only the planets that are on the highest extremes of heat or cold (naturally possible) don't have weather.  Besides, life and weather are just examples.

And people keep insisting that the discussion be dropped because there is a lot of faulty logic behind some arguments.
Angle is a unitless measure (it's actually a fraction, nothing else), and that's why it's not mentioned in SI. It doesn't matter whether you have 90/360° degrees, 100/400° gon or whatever, it comes down to 1/4th of a circle.

I compliment you for your comments about water. Most people think water is a rarity only found on earth, but this is of course nonsense. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, and Oxygen is following closely on third place. Also, water can form at very low temperatures, and even very high, if pressure is also high.

Weather on other planets is a bit off-topic though. I don't think we need a scale for gaseous-metal-storms that is useful for regular people. At least not in the near future.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2009, 02:12:37 pm »

I think SI uses 100o circles.

The only SI unit for angles is the radian, which no-one really commonly uses (except implicitly for torque etc) - there's an obsolete system with the circle divided into 400 units, but that's not SI.

It might interest you to know that there is no pressure at which water freezes at exactly 0 C and boils at exactly 100 C, and the C scale's definition isn't tied to it (though it is tied indirectly to the _triple point_ of water - the temperature and pressure at which all three states of water can exist simultaneously) anymore.

Anyway - I agree with the proposal that multiple units should be allowed in the raws. For performance, the internally used number has to be _some_ kind of integer (though it could be tenths or whatever of a degree), and it makes sense to allow it to be entered in either C or K at the least. Once it's doing a conversion, why _not_ allow F?  That's what I don't get - why so many people have such a deep hatred for the fahrenheit scale that people using it _must not_ be accomodated.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2009, 03:46:31 pm »

Quote from: Random832 link=topic=32300.msg511532#msg511532
  why so many people have such a deep hatred for the fahrenheit scale that people using it _must not_ be accomodated.
Racism or elitism.  It's not logical but it does happen. 

Hi all, first time ever posting here.

I'm sure this has been done by others, but I wrote a fairly simple tool converts between fahrenheit, celcius, kelvin and DF Temperature Units (calling it urist for lack of more concise term.)

It utilizes JavaScript, so you'll need to enable it if you don't have it turned on already.
You can use it here: http://andvari.us/dwarf_temp_tool.html
To use it offline simply download the html file anywhere to your computer and point your web browser at the local file.

I put a CC0 notice at the bottom of the page; it's all big and official looking, but the only thing I intended to convey was that I'm putting this out there for anyone to use however they want, they don't even have to give me any credit.

That is a very useful tool.  I am adding it to my modding utilities section in my signature. =)

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2009, 04:06:10 pm »

Why do so many people insist on demanding that discussion be dropped?

It is immoral because it wastes bandwidth and contributes to making people even stupider.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2009, 10:44:10 pm »

Why? It only makes sense for it to be switchable in the init (Celcius,Kelvin,Ferenhiet,Urist)
Taht way you make NO ONE angry.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2009, 11:51:28 pm »

Temperature is never shown in-game in any way shape or form. The units used to measure temperature are only of concern to modders and Toady. Suggest moving this to the DF modding board or something. Also RAGE RAGE RAGE TROLL RAGE TROLL RAGE
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2009, 12:34:12 am »

Sorry, but the Urist scale is already taken, unless Toady claimed it before...

DF Temperature Units (calling it urist for lack of more concise term.)

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32300.msg467466#msg467466 ::)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2009, 06:04:11 am »

0°D = 4°C = perfect temperature for a nice cold beer
100°D = 73°C = perfect temperature for a cup of boiled wine (OK, I just used 73°C so that 50°D is healthy body temperature)
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

stummel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2009, 06:11:53 am »

38.5°C aren't really healthy...

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2009, 11:14:25 am »

To throw in another argument in favour of C in this thread that won't die, in being based on water freezing and boiling at 1 atmosphere C actually is MORE interesting and relevant for the human body than F, in that it says something about the human situation and constitution. 100F (ok, 96F) being "good" is not as immediately telling as 37C in the range 0..100.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2009, 12:10:59 pm »

38.5°C aren't really healthy...
73/2=36.5
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2009, 02:06:30 pm »

This thread amuses me far far too much.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14