Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do i have any hope for getting drinks?  (Read 2702 times)

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do i have any hope for getting drinks?
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:24:15 pm »

My alcohol addicts dwarfs drank all the booze as i started a new fortress mode.
Basically, i thought my pound would supply them with water. It became winter and the lake froze.
I tried to brew some wine with my plump helmets but it took too long: they all were dehydrated
and died after throwing some tauntrums supplying me with another overdose of fun.
Well, next time, i will brew some alky, but i just want to know if i could've saved them.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
Re: Do i have any hope for getting drinks?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 04:25:45 pm »

yes you could, this once happened  when I took too long to set up a fort.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:26:20 pm »

Maybe, but it's best to start with nearly a year's supply of booze to avoid problems like this. Dwarves will drink 16 times per year, so bringing up to 112 Urists of booze will keep them going for a good bit of time. Certainly long enough for you to get farms and stills set up, or trade with the caravans.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:44:47 pm »

You can also brew the various plants that you can gather outside, I learned that after losing my half.of my second forts population to winter dehydration

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 04:47:56 pm »

If you need water, you can dig down to the caverns. You will either find water in the caverns, or plants which can be brewed into booze.

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:56:35 pm »

So far i have a big mine and haven't found any caverns. Are they only found very deep?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 04:57:15 pm »

You could've just killed the expendable, and brewed enough to keep them through. Personally, I have no crops set to grow in winter so I always have to panic looking for merchant booze and wild animals. Moar !FUN! :D

So far i have a big mine and haven't found any caverns. Are they only found very deep?

Varies with world gen parameters. If you've dug too deep, you've probably just missed it.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:55:38 pm »

apparently the latest version doesn't require underground farms to be wetted first. So just build a farm... unless you only have stone... then go for caverns. It's feasible to embark with no plump helmets at all and very little booze. Just plump helmet spawn.
I always have more trouble managing barrel production than I do booze production. Which can lead to booze production problems.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:48:10 pm »

advice: embark in a warm biome, make 1-2 plump helmet only farms and BREW!
FYI, don't only make one type of booze, as that will result in dwarves getting fed up with drinking the same old booze, and they refuse to drink it after a while, then go back to drinking it (not sure if they need a different type of booze, or if it takes a certain amount of time or what)

This was tested and busted, actually. They get bad thoughts from drinking the same old booze, but they'll keep drinking it. But seasonal crop rotations are an easy way of getting some variety, as is surface gathering/farming.