Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ummm, yeah, thats a river......  (Read 6251 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
Re: Ummm, yeah, thats a river......
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 09:32:05 pm »

Certainly sounds like Fun. I think I'll do it next time I get a fort in a part-time freezing biome. (I thought it might be one of those times when physics stop existing in DF) I could probably set something up as a big new year's party for the Dwarfs.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 09:43:39 pm »

Dam it. Build your fortress in the middle.

Have !FUN!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 11:25:01 pm »

Make a serious dam (digging out the sides to make a small/large/dwarvenly lake) with several sets of mechanisms and levers for floodgates so you have several options:

- "Minimum Natural Flow": Stores a lake for you, but still lets the river flow. Adds some (not much) realism.
- "Screw Elves": No water for those damnable forests! MUAHAHAHAHA!
- "Screw nobles": Opens the Emergency Overrun channel that drains dangerously high water levels into the caverns. Via your nobles quarters. Make sure you can drain them afterwards, and that you don't flood the the fort by doing this. That's a different levers job.
- "Screw Goblins": Opens every floodgate on the dam that leads into the old riverbed. Should be combined with a fiendish entrance to your fort that probably doesn't alllow it to flood, designed to channel invaders into the path of the deluge.
- "Screw you Mister Baitykins!": Links to Kitten Storage Area.
- "Emergency Self Destruct": Why do we need a lever that routes several million litres of water through EVERY BIT OF THE FORT?* Um...it looks cool when we kill everyone?
- "FTW": Powers as many pump stacks as you can fit into your magma sources, to power an unspeakable engine of doom. Probably involves lava. Definitely involves Fun.

Things to keep in mind:

If building a fortress above/attached to the dam, it'll need some sort of overflow control that shuts doors and floodgates to protect anything important (and kill anyone caught outside, but that's not important)....which shouldn't be hard. And for maximum power generation and Dwarvenly Complexity, the dam's probably got to be quite thick. That way you can fit in comple machinery that no one really understands.

Actually, with your very own massive Dam of Doom, there's nothing you CAN'T do**. Waterfalls in every single bedroom, dining room, statue garden and graveyard full of the dwarves who drowned installing the waterfalls? Sure. Killing sieges with water? Sure. Magma? Sure. Obsidian? Yup.

*Yes, including the stuff above the dam. Route the parts going underground through waterwheels to power the pump stacks that flood the surface stuff.
**Except going to space. But if that ever becomes possible, a dam probably won't hurt.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 02:13:43 am »

Yup :D

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 11:39:00 pm »

Or you could wait for it to freeze over in winter, dig out the ice in the middle and wall it up/floor it over as fast as possible to build your island.
As I've never done it myself before, what would be the consequences of building a fort on top of the frozen river, not held there by any support when it melts?

I was saying to dig out the ice and build your fort through the river. Dwarf-made island. (It'd probably wash away, though.)

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 12:35:20 am »

Er, save or world gen details, plz.

For generating rivers like this, I assume you put erosion at its minimum amount? Or would there be more involved?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 02:55:33 am »

How do I upload worldgen details again? rather do that than go through the hassle of duplicating the world to find this site again. It isn't hard to find this site or many others like it; just look for the massive river bisecting the continent.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 06:22:39 am »

McKiwi, you totally forgot:

"FPS slayer": Waterwheels in the dam powering pumpstacks to fill the lake with obsidian blocks.
Pages: 1 [2]