Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is this art?  (Read 3915 times)

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is this art?
« on: March 18, 2009, 03:14:45 am »

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:18:13 am by yamo »
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is this art?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:23:28 am »

Yes. Regardless of how crap it is, it is art.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:56:07 am »

Looks like somebody's vacation photos to me.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:58:48 pm »

Looks like somebody's vacation photos to me.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 01:15:57 pm »

If it's photography, it's the quality of the photos what counts, techniques etc. more than what is being photographed.
Well, both are important, but from a technical standpoint it is.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 05:50:38 pm »

No, I don't care. That is not fucking art. There might be a few good pictures in there, but there is no fucking way that someone's vacation pictures are art.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 06:37:50 pm »

As Andy Warhol demonstrated, if it's in a museum, then it is art. Art is defined by the pretentiousness of it's environment.
!!&!!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 07:09:40 pm »

Most of these photos are more less art.

One such good example of one being art is the picture fourth row, third selection. It was a very nice wide angle of this lake or whatever it may be called, which shows a relaxing view of the surroundings, with someone laying in the grass to help articulate the mood of the photo more. I'd go more into detail of this but I'm not going to defend anyones points of view for these works.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 07:46:54 pm »

If it's photography, it's the quality of the photos what counts, techniques etc. more than what is being photographed.
Well, both are important, but from a technical standpoint it is.
I would go with exactly the opposite. You can take fantastic photographs with a cell phone camera and terrible photographs with a perfectly-set-up $10000 DSLR. It's the subject that makes the photo interesting, not how it was taken.

Put a different way, as a technical exercise you could make a perfectly accurate photorealistic painting of a desk. It would be impressive on its technical merits, but it wouldn't necessarily be artistic.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:50:56 pm »

Didn't we discuss this before?

I'll bring up the 'Dada' movement.

Signed Urinal = Art!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:51:53 am »

As a dude going to art school, these need more polish.

The still from the fifth one - with the feet in the mud - could be a good piece of photo art. Except when you click on it it's some random video sequence of bullshit, etc.

Marcus Rothko painted canvasses solid black and called it a religious experience. He got acclaim and recognition as an artist, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to dig up his corpse and grind his bones into a fine powder.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 12:56:26 pm »

There is no universal definition of art. What is art for someone might not be for another. Thats why you should never judge a piece according to its monetary value but according on how you perceive it.

To me, those pictures are crap. :P And my nefew crayola pictures are awesome.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 11:10:57 pm »

I would go with exactly the opposite. You can take fantastic photographs with a cell phone camera and terrible photographs with a perfectly-set-up $10000 DSLR. It's the subject that makes the photo interesting, not how it was taken.

You may be able to take a terrible photograph with an awesome camera, you cannot however take a fantastic one with a cell phone camera, you cannot control a cell phone camera at all, ie aperture, film speed, exposure length.  Expensive cameras don't make good pictures, but they do make good pictures possible.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 09:48:30 pm »

No, this is not fucking art. I hate the pretentiousness of modern 'art'.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 09:00:06 pm »

No, this is not fucking art. I hate the pretentiousness of modern 'art'.

Are all photos modern art to you? A quick opinion of that: even before the technology to develope the type of clear photos of what we have now a days. Would be to most people that the time of the photo's creation would not be "a long time ago." I'm not so sure about all of your opinions though, yes to me photos are not old enough to be considred non modern art.

Isn't every painting a representation of something that exist within the mind of creator, even if in an image or just a random mess of ideas? Think of lego blocks for this and how two or three pieces for children can be snapped together and can become a rocket ship. Than one thousand pieces for someone who was either really bored or just has too much time on thier hands work. One is simple the other is complex, one is crude the other is more impressive; but in the firm structure of their creators they're both rocket ships. Though maybe the kid's can be a submarine with just a flip of the perspective! Can one be more imaginative or just be easily manipulated? Yeah, go ahead answer that question before you call someone's work pretentious again.

(Though I certainly do think that they should have taken more pictures and that they can with out a doubt do *much* better. I'd say more but I just don't feel like it.)
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
Pages: [1] 2