Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is this art?  (Read 3922 times)

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
Re: Is this art?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 10:47:22 pm »

Didn't we discuss this before?

I'll bring up the 'Dada' movement.

Signed Urinal = Art!
I think you meant "Signed Urinal != Art". My feelings towards Duchamp are probably comparable to Warlord's feelings towards Rothko (a bit meh, in my opinion). In contrast, I actually really like a few of Man Ray's pieces.

As for the images in the link... well, they certainly do look a lot like holiday snaps. Also, "Exquisite Corpse" sounds like some 14-year-old pseudo-goth girl's livejournal handle. Also, none of the photographs are really very good examples of technical brilliance or interesting subject matter.
Perhaps yes, this is somebody expressing themselves artistically. Certainly no, this is not "art".
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 12:45:48 am »

As a dude going to art school, these need more polish.

The still from the fifth one - with the feet in the mud - could be a good piece of photo art. Except when you click on it it's some random video sequence of bullshit, etc.

Marcus Rothko painted canvasses solid black and called it a religious experience. He got acclaim and recognition as an artist, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to dig up his corpse and grind his bones into a fine powder.

Now now, this is dwarf fortress, if you are going to do something with bones then it had better involve building a weapon with which to kill the rest of their species...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 12:49:35 am »

Now now, this is dwarf fortress, if you are going to do something with bones then it had better involve building a weapon with which to kill the rest of their species...
Not quite; this is Bay 12, and there are certainly a few other things you can do with bones in, e.g., No More Stumpy Wumples (my current "high score" is 87, what's yours?)
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 01:20:54 am »

Sorry, my bad.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 09:24:45 am »

Sorry, my bad.
It's cool, I was only joking; but there other applications of bone in Bay 12 Games (games), not only in Stumpy Wumples, but as bonemeal in DF (sort-of, it not having yet been implemented).

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 08:43:11 pm »

Not quite; this is Bay 12, and there are certainly a few other things you can do with bones in, e.g., No More Stumpy Wumples (my current "high score" is 87, what's yours?)

How could you kill Stumpy Wumples?  They're sooo cute!
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 08:58:25 pm »

You see, I don't know if that's just another joke: I actually think they look quite grotesque, even sinister at times.

In answer to your question, though: because sometimes, I just can't help myself.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 06:54:37 am »

--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 07:49:32 am »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 11:44:11 pm »

... you cannot however take a fantastic one with a cell phone camera, ... .
That's not entirely accurate. That may have been the case a few years ago, but my SO's cell takes great pictures. I've taken some great photos with a cheap $10 digital camera. It was one you have absolutely no control over and it had a max resolution of 800x600.
Pages: 1 [2]