Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31

Author Topic: RTTF! - Tiebreaker Challenge Part 1, Team Alpha  (Read 42195 times)

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
Re: Race to the Finish! Turn 42: When Squids Attack!
« Reply #390 on: June 02, 2009, 03:44:06 am »

Naw. The Lazlar Lyricon custom crashed into a moon of Jaglan Beta. Y'know. Looks like a fish, moves like a fish, steers like a cow.

Also, let me just try and say: Barrel roll - Star Fox.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 02, 2009, 03:57:34 pm »

The Steel Slime, I believe, is a Dragon Quest reference.
Actually, I got the idea of the steel slime from the page metal slime on tvtropes. Sorry, no point for you!

"The challenge is to find any sort of reference to anything in the turns. "
It was inside the turn-post :) (And isn't Jaglan Beta a moon, not a space station?)

And in that case another one seeped through:

Quote from:  Katsuun
Just keep rolin', and rollin' and rollin'
Rawhide Theme Song OR
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary OR
Limp Bizkit - Rollin'
:)
Sure, that'll be another point for team alpha, although from now on I won't accept player written references.

Naw. The Lazlar Lyricon custom crashed into a moon of Jaglan Beta. Y'know. Looks like a fish, moves like a fish, steers like a cow.

Also, let me just try and say: Barrel roll - Star Fox.
Yep, you got it! That was a good game.
The score is now:
Alpha: 1
Beta: 2
There's still a lot more references out there, so keep racking em up!

Turn 43 is coming soon!
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 02, 2009, 04:21:39 pm »

Is the mechanical squid from les machines de l'ile? I do love those creations. And I doubt it, as you most likely didn't plan it, but now I'm just going to play the system and say that the turn number is a reference to tHHGttG.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
Race to the Finish! Turn 43: All odd things come in threes
« Reply #393 on: June 02, 2009, 11:25:31 pm »

This was a very interesting turn, I think, mostly because of three sudden events occurring. And two of those events could prove very influential to the game.

RUN LIKE HELL. While shouting that "I'll see you around, old buddy! Gotta run!"
You try to run away from the cruel mechanical squid. |You speed away while yelling; “I’ll see you around, old buddy! Gotta run!” to the squid. You soon get to the high steel wall at 600m. You wonder what to do now.

I KEEP ROLLING.
|You’re about to keep rolling your barrel along when a black metal chest falls out of the ceiling right in front of you! The fall breaks the lock open, and you lift the lid to find… |about a thousand mechanical fleas. They all look at you with their beady red eyes, and you’re too terrified to react.

If I'm able to change my turn, I pick up the red mechanical rat.
|You try to catch the red mechanical rat. |You slip and fall after a few seconds of running. |You’re don’t even get a scrape from the landing, but your knee hurts quite a bit now. You sit for a while just cradling it.

I'm going to... pick up the red rat and mouse. If I can get away with it, I'll also reprogram the frog.
You decide to go after the |red toy mouse that’s rolling around. |You easily catch it, so you try to catch the red mechanical rat as well. |You catch the rat, | it doesn’t look like it’s going to bite you, at least not right now. Your hands are too full to go for the frog.

Okay, RUN FORWARD
You try to run forward using your new foot splint. |Just as you’re about to start moving, you hear a soft sound behind you, and you turn to see | a small opaque plastic box sitting next to the steel wall. You open the box. |You find a pair of Assassin 9000 shoes in the box. You figure that all the complex mechanisms and cushioning inside the shoes would prevent your broken foot from hurting if you wore them.

Wall-run forward!
You try to wall run once again. |You notice a mysterious black door on the wall, so you walk up to it cautiously and open it. |An incredibly bright light shines out from the open door, and you go blind!| You sense something of immense power before you, but you have no idea what it is since you’re blind. The bright light seems to have abated though, so your vision will return by next turn.

Danm it being in the medical clinic. I tell my wasps to get ready for me as I wake up and finally get out of this place!!!
You MM(Mental message) your wasps and tell them to prepare for your coming. You then try again to wake up. |Your attempt fails, but you’re still only in a light sleep. You feel cursed to this eternal sleep. Perhaps some mental powers are in order?

Waspswarm:At 210m. Loyal to Aussie. Intelligent(+1 to thinking what to do rolls). Simply Decimated(-1 to accuracy and damage and some other rolls). Tired(-1 to movement rolls for one turn)
The wasps receive the MM from Aussie, and they hold a meeting to decide how best to prepare. |They figure that they will produce a revitalizing nectar for Aussie to drink. They search for some flowers to extract nectar from. |The wasps find no useful flowers nearby, and they only tired themselves out with the search.

Killer Earth Robot: At 580m. It doesn't do anything if it doesn't get a command from Shoruke, but it can hear his commands no matter where he is. Gets +2 to movement rolls. Gets +1 to accuracy and damage rolls. It's back is very cracked(enemies get +1 damage with accuracy rolls of 4,5 or 6. It's left leg is broken(-1 to some rolls)
|The killer earth bot rolls onward to 580m. It can sense that Shoruke is close.

Mechanical Fleas: At 590m. They get +1 to critical, accuracy, and movement rolls.
The mechanical fleas jump out at the shocked Katsuun! |They land on his chest, and start biting! ||All the little fangs leave Katsuun with a thousand little cuts in his chest which he's now bleeding out of, but the fangs don't go in very deep, and they don't suck too much blood.

Stunning Sword Sentry Gun: At 590m. It attacks by firing electrified swords at Katsuun’s enemies. Accuracy rolls of 3, 4, 5, or 6 cause stunning rolls, and accuracy rolls of 4,5, or 6 cause damage rolls, sword effect rolls, and possibly critical rolls in addition to a stunning roll. The gun can’t move itself, and it’s pretty heavy so carrying it requires a strength roll.
The sentry gun responses to the attack on Katsuun by firing a electrified sword at the fleas who remained in the wooden chest. |The sword hits the chest but ||the sword is so blunt that it doesn't go very far into the wood. |The electricity from the blade still hits all the fleas though, and they all get stunned. (For two turns). The fleas that were on Katsuun's chest fall to the ground. Katsuun gives a thumbs up to the sentry gun.

Mechanical Squid: At 600m. Gets 2 attacks per turn. Enemies get -1 to damage against it.
The mechanical squid runs after the fleeing Vlynndar. |It soon catches up to him at 600m using a unique running style. It looks upon all the people at 600m, and it decides that they should all be eliminated.

Medical Clinic Staff: In the medical clinic.
…They do nothing relevant to the plot of this RTD.

Spoiler: Statuses after turn (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Points of Interest (click to show/hide)

Is the mechanical squid from les machines de l'ile? I do love those creations. And I doubt it, as you most likely didn't plan it, but now I'm just going to play the system and say that the turn number is a reference to tHHGttG.
Nope, and nope. The mechanical squid is from Earthbound, and the number 42 is just because it comes after the number 41. Go looking in past turns, why don't ya?

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
Re: Race to the Finish! Turn 43: All odd things come in threes
« Reply #394 on: June 02, 2009, 11:37:44 pm »

Wear shoes, run forward.

Is the bright shining light a reference to god?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:39:20 pm by Emperor_Jonathan »

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 03, 2009, 12:20:22 am »

The funny looking metal not-cat again, huh. It seems it won't let me escape so easily.

I yell at the squid and try to disable(kill) it by kicking it in the head.

Actually, isn't a squid really just a big head with legs?

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 03, 2009, 01:49:36 am »

Past turns? There are almost fifty of 'em! The list will be endless! For example, in turn three 'Forrest Gump' is an obvious one.

Do we really have go through all of them? It feeks like cheating just to skim all the pages and mention almost everything...

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 03, 2009, 01:51:47 am »

"Oy, Serephe! No attacking my buddies!"

I then pick up the squid and slam it into the red button.

"Oops. That wasn't on purpose. How 'bout I buy ya a drink? Well. An oil. Anyway."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 03, 2009, 04:02:24 am »

Light at the end of the tunnel!

I go into the light through the black door, see what's there. (With treasure rolls like that it should be SOMETHING!)

The black door is a reference to the obelisk from 2001  :P

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 03, 2009, 06:12:45 am »

I ACTIVATE MAH SENTRY GUN TO FIRE UPON THE FLEAS.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 03, 2009, 04:31:49 pm »

*Checks page 22 for how to get over the wall*

"Huh. I'm having an out-of-body epiphany." And then I proceed to slam both of the rats I'm holding against the wall repeatedly to kill them. Hopefully at least one of them dies, and if so I'll just make my pleasant way over.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 03, 2009, 07:45:03 pm »

More challenge update time!
Is the bright shining light a reference to god?
Nope. It's a just a reference to powerful artifacts in various games and movies being shiny and such.

The black door is a reference to the obelisk from 2001  :P
No, it's just black because black is cool.

Past turns? There are almost fifty of 'em! The list will be endless! For example, in turn three 'Forrest Gump' is an obvious one.
That's another point for team alpha! The score is now tied at 2 each. It's perfectly legit to just go through the turns one by one to find the references.

We're missing Aussie, but I'm sure he'll post an action pretty soon.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 04, 2009, 02:54:09 am »

Pfft.

The 80’s bot’s face is completely messed up, it’s sunglasses are broken, and only one of it’s eyes work anymore. You feel that the only reason it survived at all is because it’s just so cool.

If that ain't Terminator then I don't know what is.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 04, 2009, 04:34:32 am »

Quote from:  Turn 14
You once again attempt to swing from the cameras like tarzan.
Tarzan.
Quote from:  Turn 17
you access the internet through Blazefox.
Firefox.
Quote from:  Turn 26
You fall into a strange world of shadows, a world of pure darkness where monsters roam black hills and tulgey forests.
Jabberwocky. Tulgey forests?

Then there are the tf2ish sentry gun and some other references not by you.

Feels weird doing this.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 04, 2009, 05:13:04 am »

Oh!

My beamsword: Star Wars

The Water of Demons: DF

Shoruke's toolhands: Inspector Gadget.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31