Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Teaching...  (Read 2320 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 12:32:20 pm »

The best use of the teaching skill is to teach first aid, as it cannot be trained until it is at level 1.
I suppose in that case, the money must be spent on all band aiding equipment or something. The subjects are probably brought in from the multiple football teams your squad seems to support.

You forget that after your students touch the equipment it is infected with Liberalism and thus must be burned because Liberal Equipment ask for decent wages.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 11:41:37 pm »

Leadership is another great skill to teach. Lets say your founder gets a 2 in leadership, he can then teach every other liberal up to 1 leadership. If you have a mere 20 liberals under the founder total, thats 40 more recruits. Just need to get them i think 20 juice then they can learn leadership and get another 80 recruits. Exponential increases are fun.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ciarog

• Bay Watcher
  • Monkey Wrench Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 07:03:23 pm »

Leadership is another great skill to teach. Lets say your founder gets a 2 in leadership, he can then teach every other liberal up to 1 leadership. If you have a mere 20 liberals under the founder total, thats 40 more recruits. Just need to get them i think 20 juice then they can learn leadership and get another 80 recruits. Exponential increases are fun.
This is what I'm trying right now, as it seems to be the best way to get a massive resistance movement going without getting in the papers, yet.

However, I thought you only needed 10 juice to be able to teach leadership to others.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 07:36:29 pm »

Teaching should be relativly cheap or free, but should take much more time to compensate. As in you cant make a master swordsman in a month, that would take years. The price IS way too expensive, but mabey you can have some sort of slider to determine how many props you use to teach?

That way you can either teach cheap, or you and teach fast.

Ciarog

• Bay Watcher
  • Monkey Wrench Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 07:47:25 pm »

Something like the project triangle? Good, fast, and cheap- pick two.

Perhaps have a option where you can choose the quality of the classes, how long they last and how much they cost? This might be more micromanagement than is worth having, however.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 07:52:19 pm »

Something like the project triangle? Good, fast, and cheap- pick two.

Perhaps have a option where you can choose the quality of the classes, how long they last and how much they cost? This might be more micromanagement than is worth having, however.
problem is how are you going to put a triangle in a curses game? Anyway yeah that is going a bit too far, it should be as simple as fast/cheap and you choose how far your going to go like with sleepers. "good" is already regulated by the characters teaching skill remember? ;)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 08:19:36 pm »

Maybe just a sliding scale based on the learnees skill level. Its easy to pick up the basics of first aid, but to get REALLY good at it requires either hands on training or months or even years under a master first aider. So a week to get 1 skill and 2 weeks for 2 and 4 weeks for 3 and so on.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 10:25:49 pm »

Yeah, I'd like to make learning cheaper/free and 1-on-1. You would pick only one skill, and only one person, and it would tie up both. How quickly it happens depends on the learner's skill level and the teacher's teaching level.

problem is how are you going to put a triangle in a curses game? Anyway yeah that is going a bit too far, it should be as simple as fast/cheap and you choose how far your going to go like with sleepers. "good" is already regulated by the characters teaching skill remember? ;)

Yeah, I think it might be too complex. It's a cool system to play with though, and I could definitely do it, if there was a good reason.

The way you can implement a triangle like that in curses (with full definition between the options, so you can have 67%/100%/33%, for example) is by having three sliders. Between the three sliders, you have enough points to maximize two of them if the other is empty. As one slider is manually increased, the other two decrease by half the amount, and as a slider is manually decreased, the others increase by half that amount. Finally, you allow bars to be locked and unlocked, so that if one bar is locked, its amount never changes, overriding any other input -- so, if bar two is locked (or empty), and you increase bar one, bar three decreases by the same amount that you increased bar one, rather than just half as much.

This system might sound complicated on paper, but in practice it's easy to pick up, and with the locking mechanic it's very easy to get to the point you want in the triangle in just two moves -- mathematically, you're moving on a two axis graph, you just have to lock your position on the first axis once you've gotten to where you want. This will not only functionally implement that triangle, but you can reduce the amount of points you give the player to just enough to fill one bar, and it will implement the alternate triangle where you can only fully maximize one of the options just as easily.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 09:50:22 am »

There should be limited class sizes, it's not possible to teach a class of 80 liberals at the same time.  Maybe have the quality of learning decreased by the number of people who are learning?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 11:35:19 am »

No, no, no. Liberals are zealous fanatics who want to waste money on education even when it will serve no good end. So in order to teach the LCS, Liberal members are required to literally burn onerous amounts of cash in order to feel like they're succeeding in giving their students as good instruction in e.g., using firearms and picking locks as they'd get at the local public high school.

I like this idea.  Mind if I run with it for a second?

Liberals can teach large number of students.  But small class sizes are a liberal goal.  Therefore teaching multiple students is conservative.  Therefore, you are forced to make a tradeoff:

Education is free.  It's such a liberal concept that it comes naturally to LCS members.  However, large classes are bad for students.  Therefore, for every student beyond the first, a juice penalty is inflicted upon all the students.  So you can teach one student just fine, but it takes a long time during which neither liberal is available.  You can teach 2 liberals just as well, but they both lose 10 juice a day.  Teach 3 and they all lose 20 juice a day, etc.
[As possible addition, the player is subjected to emo-esque flavor text about the students ("Jennifer Bump feels unimportant due to large class sizes." "Maneul Wang cried in the bathroom today because the other students made fun of the liberal's clothes.  The liberal teaching didn't notice because of the large class size.")]

However, the player can counter act this juice loss by burning money.  This could either be literal or figurative.  I think literally is best.  In order to make everyone know how importantly the LCS considers education, the teacher will literally burn a pile of money in front of the class.  The larger the class, the more money burnt.  The better the teacher, the more money burnt (because good teachers deserve good pay and because more education requires more money to be burnt.)  But it could be figurative as well, the teacher needs to go out and buy arugula or pay union dues, etc.

It's a way to balance the teaching system and it makes fun of the LCS!  I think too much humor lately has been anti-conservative so the LCS needs to have some cheap shots taken against it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:03:34 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 07:46:36 pm »

The way you can implement a triangle like that in curses (with full definition between the options, so you can have 67%/100%/33%, for example) is by having three sliders.
Oh yeah, that thing. Completely sliped my mind sorry. ;D
Pages: 1 [2]