Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Suggestion: Random Improvised Weapons  (Read 6666 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Random Improvised Weapons
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2009, 12:10:53 pm »

Now, a knife... Good luck disarming someone with a knife.

Grab their wrist.   :o

If only it were that easy.

Who said it was easy?

It's difficult.  But it's within the realm of ability of someone not trained for that specific circumstance.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2009, 12:19:33 pm »

Here. Try to grab my wrist before I stab you to death.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Ciarog

• Bay Watcher
  • Monkey Wrench Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2009, 03:41:14 pm »

Grab their wrist.   :o

Ciaorg, Krav Maga. The best self defense technique known to man. Simply because the basis of it is not giving a single quarter. Not even ONE. Somebody attacked you? Treat it like he wants to kill you. That way, you always survive.
Like punching someone in the Adam's apple and caving in their trachea?

It's illegal to teach the unadulturated version of Krav Maga in some countries. That alone tells me that they're doing something right.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2009, 03:55:08 pm »

If you grab someone's wrist while they have a knife in their hands, they can slash your wrist by the simple expedient of bending their wrist. There is almost no safe way to disarm an attacker with a knife short of doing serious damage to them. That's not saying that you shouldn't do serious damage to them, merely that it is a risky thing to try to merely disarm them without doing damage to them.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2009, 05:45:44 pm »

Grab their wrist.   :o

Ciaorg, Krav Maga. The best self defense technique known to man. Simply because the basis of it is not giving a single quarter. Not even ONE. Somebody attacked you? Treat it like he wants to kill you. That way, you always survive.
Like punching someone in the Adam's apple and caving in their trachea?

It's illegal to teach the unadulturated version of Krav Maga in some countries. That alone tells me that they're doing something right.

You can't really outlaw it. It's just advice.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2009, 05:46:19 pm »

If you grab someone's wrist while they have a knife in their hands, they can slash your wrist by the simple expedient of bending their wrist. There is almost no safe way to disarm an attacker with a knife short of doing serious damage to them. That's not saying that you shouldn't do serious damage to them, merely that it is a risky thing to try to merely disarm them without doing damage to them.

Are you familiar with what a human wrist is?

Do me a favor.  Find a human with a wrist.  Grab that them by the wrist.  Now ask them how much freedom of motion their hand has.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2009, 08:04:06 pm »

Enough to slash with a decent sized knife. If you grab someone by the wrist, it is trivial to break such a grab, and if you are in front of them, your hand is next the hand you just grabbed. That seems to be asking for them to slash your wrist.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2009, 09:00:14 pm »

Sooo... if you beat my disarming attempt, you are not disarmed.  This is different from a gun how?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2009, 09:06:18 pm »

Presumably it's easier to succeed in wresting a gun from someone's hand, due to the fact that you can more easily grab the gun itself.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2009, 10:26:23 pm »

What Jonathan said. In escaping from your grab, there is a very good chance I can slash your wrist and at least hit some muscle, if not the tendons. With a gun, you can physically grab the gun and it is harder, though not impossible, to break that grab. In addition, you control the gun and if you grab in right on top of the ejection point, you can cause it to jam if it fires.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2009, 10:49:00 pm »

All of which requires you to be inches away from the business end of a firing gun...

I much prefer a hasty slash to the wrist over a bullet to the anywhere.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2009, 11:23:52 pm »

Done right, the bullet goes past you. Also, if you manage to grab the gun at the ejection point, it can jam and the loses its ability to fire again. With the knife, after breaking the grip it is a simple matter to do a short lunge and thrust upwards through the bottom of the ribcage, or continue slashing.

People get so worked up about the deadliness of the gun, and forget the ease a piece of steel severs the ties to life.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2009, 12:08:45 am »

I'm sorry but that argument is bullcrap.  You make the assumption that the person with the knife can overpower someone while the person with the gun can't.  That's a more then slightly loaded assumption.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2009, 12:28:04 am »

Its not a matter of overpowering. Its a matter of leverage. A 180 degree twist of the wrist or sudden application of moderate force in the direction of the thumb breaks a wrist grab. Assuming its not a horribly unequal contest, like a child against a full grown man, that will break the hold 99% of the time. With a gun, the angles are different, and the weak point of the thumb is balanced with each person having a hold on the object you are trying to wrest away.

Breaking grabs and holds while standing is a matter of technique not power.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2009, 05:30:04 am »

It is also the difference between the Sport and the Martial Art.

Boxers arn't allowed to induce Internal decapatations in real competition. Yet all knowledgable Boxers know how to do it.

Same with many Martial Arts, There are plenty of moves that can break bones with minimal effort. Basically if you pull it off the bone IS going to snap without question. Yet you will never see it in competition because it is illegal. All martial artists there however will know how to pull it off.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8