Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Suggestion: Random Improvised Weapons  (Read 6679 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Suggestion: Random Improvised Weapons
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2009, 09:12:42 pm »

Hard statistics on kidnapping survival are virtually impossible to find, but the almost universal advice from police to self defense teachers is to never allow yourself to be taken to an another location, even if you are at gunpoint or being moved by force. This is true in the United States, at least, where kidnapping for ransom is extremely rare; in the US, if you don't know the person, it is virtually guaranteed that they are taking you to a secure location in which to inflict severe violence on you.

Mainac: By active we mean deadly. A handgun has 15 instances ,typically, of deadliness along a straight line from the barrel of the gun, therefore it has a limited activeness.

That's actually not what Rezan was talking about, and if it were, it wouldn't be an effective argument:

Basically the concept is how "active" a weapon is. Any active weapon is always dangerous to disarm. A knife is always active in someone's hand, thus it is always dangerous to disarm. A gun is only ever active when the holder has decided to pull the trigger.

Mainiac is correct in pointing out that guns are active and very dangerous when someone has not yet decided to pull the trigger -- and I would add that this threat is radically increased when you are dealing with someone who is pumped up on adrenaline or worse, is in a criminal mindset with little concern for human life and likely intends to kill you anyway, and is already pointing the gun at you as a credible threat to shoot and kill you on the spot. Furthermore, any attempt to disarm a violent criminal will essentially guarantee that they decide to go ahead and maim or kill you. The type of person who will rationally back down or be stunned into inaction when attacked in this manner is the type of person who would not be trying to kidnap you with a loaded gun in the first place.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2009, 10:49:00 pm »

Okay. So an LCS agent got a loaded gun. He pointed it at you and want you to go to the Homeless Shelter to be reprogrammed. You know that going into a secondary location is likely going to lead to unspeakable things happening to you at said Shelter, so you have to make sure you do not go to the Homeless Shelter. Either the LCS Agent fails in brainwashing you, meaning you just die...or the LCS Agent does brainwash you and then sends you off to die in a Liberal blaze of glory.

But the guy has a gun. You cannot disarm the LCS Agent because in the process he'll just fire it at you and you die. But you do not want to go to the Homeless Shelter because you know going to a secondary location is bad for your survival rating. You can run...but then the LCS agent will fire. If you scream, the LCS Agent may decide to fire, or he may decide to just run to avoid the cops, but that all depends on how much the LCS Agent fears the cops.

So, Jonathan S. Fox, how would you recommend stopping an LCS agent from kidnapping you, assuming if he is armed with a gun? (Since everyone knows that if you "just" have a katana, you can just punch the kidnapper in question.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:51:33 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2009, 11:07:13 pm »

So, Jonathan S. Fox, how would you recommend stopping an LCS agent from kidnapping you, assuming if he is armed with a gun? (Since everyone knows that if you "just" have a katana, you can just punch the kidnapper in question.)

Well, clearly you are a Conservative, and have no problem with guns -- you therefore get a concealed carry permit, so that you can merely pull your jacket a bit tighter so that it subtly creases around the outline of the handgun holster on your vest, which causes the LCS member to decide you are "too dangerous".

If you're on a date, you're screwed, because you left your gun at home and went to a private place where you could get close with them on a first date instead of meeting in public first. At this point you start kicking yourself for having such poor taste in pickup lines, and start planning your escape.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2009, 01:46:12 am »

To offer a broader perspective, for a moment, let me remind everyone of the most important thing of all:

NEVER, EVER, let him take the choke because, if you're out, God knows what he's going to do... with your holes.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2009, 01:56:36 pm »

Hard statistics on kidnapping survival are virtually impossible to find, but the almost universal advice from police to self defense teachers is to never allow yourself to be taken to an another location, even if you are at gunpoint or being moved by force

I am glad I am right. A Teacher openly in class dismissed this and said something "Two old women were kidnapped last week and were let go".

Though investigating further those two women were not the intended victums. So... yeah...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:59:18 pm by Neonivek »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2009, 08:33:42 pm »

If there was a mistaken identity at all, that means kidnappers were targeting someone. Targeted kidnappings are generally more safe, since they aren't usually motivated by the intent to rape, murder, or commit some other extremely violent crime. Ransom kidnappers don't want to harm to their target, and family kidnappings also tend to have no intention of hurting their target, since the motivations are very different. Ransom kidnappings are rare in the US, however, and family on family kidnapping is outside the scope of my remarks. I don't know who these women were, or what the motivations of the kidnappers was, but it definitely sounds like a very special case.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2009, 11:35:55 pm »

I seriously wonder what the chances are of getting a Random kidnapped person back though or in one peice.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2009, 02:51:55 am »

How to not get datenapped. Have a good taste in pickup lines.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2009, 07:06:54 am »

How to not get datenapped. Have a good taste in pickup lines.

There is such a thing as a good pick up "Line"?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2009, 08:03:11 am »

Want to hear something disturbing?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2009, 09:14:44 am »

What?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2009, 11:00:47 am »

That's not a slogan in my pocket. I'm just happy to see you.

Yeah. We're gonna need a slogan!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2009, 11:12:33 am »

We can come up with a slogan tonight, baby.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Ciarog

• Bay Watcher
  • Monkey Wrench Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2009, 03:57:11 pm »

"Magical Baby Raccoons rend your flesh in twain and tear your soul asunder."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2009, 04:45:58 pm »

Jesus...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8