Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "D'oh!" Moments  (Read 1991 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
"D'oh!" Moments
« on: March 19, 2009, 03:57:05 pm »

I've started fortresses many, many times. Preparing carefully for embarking is a process I have ingrained in the back of my brain somewhere at this point.

So, on my newest fort attempt, I was pleased to see everything going according to plan. Until, in the summer of the first year, I suddenly realized: I'd completely forgotten to bring any seeds.

*facepalm*

Anyone care to share similar moments of blonde-bearded nimrodicy?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "D'oh!" Moments
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 04:01:12 pm »

Having read about forging picks and axes on-site for many fewer points than bringing along a steel battle axe, I carefully embarked with enough metal to forge copper picks and a copper axe, along with some coal to power the furnaces.

What I didn't bring was any fire-safe material to build my smelter and forges out of.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 04:21:47 pm »

Having read about forging picks and axes on-site for many fewer points than bringing along a steel battle axe, I carefully embarked with enough metal to forge copper picks and a copper axe, along with some coal to power the furnaces.

What I didn't bring was any fire-safe material to build my smelter and forges out of.

You don't actually need to build them outo of fire-safe material :P

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 04:27:53 pm »

The time I managed to find a magma pipe at the bottom layer. I told my miner to dig straight up, on the assumption he'd eventually hit the cavern.

Instead he hit magma and now my entire exploratory mining operation is on fire.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 04:33:05 pm »

The time I managed to find a magma pipe at the bottom layer. I told my miner to dig straight up, on the assumption he'd eventually hit the cavern.

Instead he hit magma and now my entire exploratory mining operation is on fire.
'

That happened to me, too. took my picks with it.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 04:35:13 pm »

You don't actually need to build them outo of fire-safe material :P

Really? It was complaining about "needs fire-safe material" when I tried to build the wood furnace to make coal.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 05:35:02 pm »

Embarked on flat desert, but never brought any wood with me. I quickly noticed there were no trees.
Beds were on shifts.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 06:45:51 pm »

I accidentally tunnelled diagonally into the brook. Wasn't NEARLY as bad as it could have been-instead of letting my entire water-device complex flood, which would have been annoying but not crippling, I figured out a way to make dwarves build walls in places that need them (channel out a spot so that water drains someplace else and isn't on the floor there). Worked good.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:53:51 pm »

I once ended up accidentally flooding a flooding a just started fortress with magma.  My second or third level, I was trying to shave the cone as close as possible, and I think I hit a diagonal by mistake.
My last two or three Dwarves made it to the enclosed dining room/statue garden on that floor and sealed the doors.  Unfortunately, they were entirely surrounded by lava, the stairs were blocked, and my pickaxe disappeared with the miner.

I ended up abandoning and reclaiming, but the dwarves were dead by the time I drilled down.  I figured it was a bad omen and permanently abandoned the site.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:34:09 pm »

Once I forgot that dwarves need to eat. Luckily, we had enough vermin to keep two dwarves alive to plant food. THEN the goblins ambush them FOUR TIMES, and their mortally wounded baby bleeds to death RIGHT after 20 immigrants show up. They did not bring food either.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:14:26 pm »

I prepared a curtain wall against orc siege, and felt all smug when they showed up, until I realized I never linked my draw bridge to the lever.

(or rather, the miner/engineer died in a cave in and I didn't realize he hadn't yet linked the bridge)

-_-

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 11:09:52 pm »

Most of my doh moments nowadays come from designing a big room and forgetting an underground feature is there so it completely ruins the whole layout I had just spent an hour+ working on designing ;|

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 12:05:45 am »

I always bring along some proficient armorers and weapon-smiths so I can make the most of my metal. Since my miners have 5 extra skills points I don't otherwise use, I have them as my alternate armorers or weaponsmiths.

On my latest fort, where I'm building a shaft-style fortress and flattening out the surrounding terrain to turn it into a great big natural-stone tower, and putting up with the intensely laggy ramping process to remove the surrounding stone. The ultimate goal is to have the map be laid out like a giant crater, with the tower starting at the deepest point.

Things are mostly going along well, I managed to safely route magma into the side of the tower and get my magma forges going. Only found copper so far, but my military of 11 should be pretty decent with their well-made or better copper crossbows.

Unfortunately I haven't used them as well as I should. Both my main armorer and my alternate-armorer miner were killed by a single, weak goblin ambush. Five goblins, mix of wrestlers or lashers, no experts. Despite one of them being a legendary miner and the other being a near-legendary mason and both being proficient armorsmiths, they were annihilated before my 6 elite wrestlers / marksdwarves could rescue them.

WTF :*(>

edit: OH! Turns out I forgot to deactivate my miner-armorsmith, so I still got one. Phew. Unfortunately my best mason is down for the count, but I guess we can start pumping out blocks so we can get nice new furniture again.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:08:22 am by Stromko »

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 08:24:27 am »

I had read up on preparing to embark on not bring any tools, and forging them on embark.

And forgot to bring stone to make the workshops, so no picks.  Abanddoned.

Next embark I was too spendthrift, and left tools and the anvil behind.  Had to wait a year to get any more tools...

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 12:17:36 pm »

Letting my miner dig ramps around the edge of a lake while carrying a baby. She was already slightly swim trained, but the baby just fell off the moment she stepped in the water.

Normally not that big a deal, but I was playing no immigrants, so that baby was more important. Luckily, the miner didn't seem to care all that much. She was ecstatic lately, she lost a child to tragedy lately, heh.
Pages: [1] 2