Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "D'oh!" Moments  (Read 1995 times)

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "D'oh!" Moments
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 10:18:13 pm »

I recently infected my friend and neighbor with the DF obsession. I went over to see what horrible chaos had befallen his fotress and sure enough he had just gotten amushed before he had a military. The gobs were running around the outside chasing dwarves every which way, so his defensive traps were useless.

He had a couple legendary miners so I told him that these guys can be pretty tough if he recruited them, then deactivated them when the ambush was over. Sure enough the attackers were driven away with one miner dead, another mildly wounded.

Afterwards, however, we noticed that no more mining jobs were being completed. A quick check of the stocks revealed the problem...

The goblins ran away with the only two picks in the whole fort stuck in their backs. Oh, and I had just convinced to start without an anvil because it was so easy to trade for them.

I'm really not as evil as he says I am, are I?
DF - because the only way to properly raise a dwarven infant is by carrying it into battle in lieu of a shield.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 10:20:42 pm »

Have you flooded his world with magma? If the answer is no, nope, you're not evil enuff.

Oh and my D'OH moment. I was mass designating stones to dump near the 'mug factory'. One batch I accidentally hit forbid instead of dump. No big deal, I changed all of them back to dump. However, one thing I forgot was to unforbid them. Realizing my mistake, I unforbid all of the stuff.

Now that my water ducts are shaped out, I thought, it's time to flood the chambers and make a waterfall. What I did forget  was that forbid means forbidding ALL of the materials on the squares, including the buildigs. And I had a gear built there that needed to be re-adjusted...

I locked three different mechanics, and a LOT of people with dabbling mechs.No one bothered with it.

Till I hit d-b-c. D'OH.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:26:54 pm by Musluk »
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 10:24:43 pm »

No, but I have repeatedly tried to tell him that magma is, in fact, a toy. Nothing bad will ever happen.
DF - because the only way to properly raise a dwarven infant is by carrying it into battle in lieu of a shield.

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 11:01:44 pm »

My best D'oh came after I thought I had the perfect map. Obsidian, sand, forests, cliffs, a volcano - all good. I build my fort entrance and walls around a perfectly shaped 'V' in the cliff wall, and was really quite pleased.

Then a couple years later I noticed smoke wafting over the cliff face. I had built my fort right into the downspout of a natural lava flow channel. I tried to get my miners and masons up there to make a last-ditch wall to redirect the flow, but a band of imps was happily blasting the hell out of them when they got close. I swear the graphics included a middle finger in there too.

Next best D'oh came from a fort where I was sure I had awesome defenses. I had a moat, bridge, walls, fortifications, trap fields, champions - the works. When I finally got sieged I was all worked up over anticipating the carnage I would inflict.

Except... I forgot about the whole z-level thing. You see, the fort was built into the side of a hill, and a squad of goblin crossbowmen set up camp on the hillside and started raining death and destruction on my civilians. This was before the 'forbid death items' was implemented. A couple of my champions were the first to go berzerk after watching their entire families getting mowed down. There was carnage, and screaming, and terror, and body parts, and despair - just on the wrong side.
Pages: 1 [2]