Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sleeper Activism  (Read 1829 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Sleeper Activism
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 03:11:00 am »

Actually, I had something more to contribute to this thread. Reading this thread got me thinking about activating for various behaviors, and how people often split their activists into two groups: People who get activated from the base screen, and people who go on site actions. There isn't a lot of overlap.

The thought of having sleepers do activities from the activate the uninvolved screen reminded me of how sleepers are now easy to get, which is only balanced by the fact that infiltration is a factor. This also got me thinking about how traditional sleeper activism is sometimes a pain due to the loss of infiltration requiring juggling between settings.

The conclusion I came to was this idea: What if many of the activities from the activation screen were MOVED to the sleeper activities screen, and removed from active LCS behaviors. So those who are going on site actions and interrogating people can't sell shirts (that's too menial for them!), just your less connected supporters.

Additionally, sleeper infiltration would be fixed. Each sleeper would keep the infiltration level they start with. Their infiltration level would determine what actions are available to them.

A known liberal could sell brownies for money, and would be called a supporter rather than a sleeper. These supporters would provide no decent intelligence, but could do various activism activities to support you.

Moderate infiltration level would give you an informant -- spy benefits, stealing possibilities, but political subterfuge options and most fundraising options are disabled.

A known conservative would be a sleeper agent. They would have have many options disabled, but would be able to both spy and undermine social positions on the issues. Eventually, they'll also have powerful abilities to sacrifice themselves for some dramatic effect, whether to support a site action at their workplace or to create a political scandal.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 03:58:20 am »

Excellent, seems like I was successful as influencing the issues.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 10:44:52 am »

I like the idea, altough it makes me wonder how will you handle 'KNOWN LIBERAL' cultural sleepers, like actors and athletes. I use them for cultural sleeping, but would they be better off engaging in fundraising instead?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 02:00:34 pm »

I don't think Known Liberals are effective as cultural sleepers right now. Their lack of infiltration will make them have minimal issue impact.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 03:22:55 pm »

I'm wondering if maybe there should still be a little room for infiltration to increase.  I don't think it should work by "spouting conservatism."  But possibly by "laying low" someone could slowly move their way from "supporter" to "informant."  The idea is that by keeping their nose completely clean, they can change their career and move to a position w/ information.  A hippie becomes an office worker, a negotiator becomes a SWAT team member, a veteran becomes a mercenary, etc.  The higher the supporters heart is, the more distrusted they are, and the longer it takes for them to become an informant.  A low heart supporter could infiltrate in months, a high heart supporter might take years.

So basically, this would be like laying low right now, except at full infiltration, your agent "level up" to a new career.  But there would be a risk as well: while trying to become an informant, there is a chance that the supporter gets compromised by some force of conservatism.  As a result, their "contact" (who ever they report to) will go to a meeting with them and get ambushed by a bunch of CCS vigilentes/gang units/enforcers/mercenaries.

And maybe there should be random opportunities to be promoted to "sleeper" status as well.  But these should carry a price, the agent has to buy in with some conservative action.  So a liberal judge at full infiltration (i.e., not actively supporting the LCS at all) might make a conservative ruling and become a high profile Conservative Judge.  This gets you a powerful sleeper, but gives a big hit to one of the issues and hurts the judges juice (making them useless if they didn't have high juice before hand.)

Mostly just something to think about.  Such a system isn't really needed right now, as powerful informants aren't that hard to get.  But suppose there was a use for high juice sleepers.  This system would let you have a wounded active LCS member without many high profile crimes become a supporter, then infiltrate society to become a powerful informant.  While other sleepers carry a risk of compromise, this dedicated (high juice) liberal would never give up the LCS.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 04:56:53 pm »

I have to say something, er, Fox. Since the previous arc of, um, enemy sleepers, is stagnating due to lack of any real good ideas for the organizations using those sleepers, I was moving onto coding for the Politics Arc. Right now, I decided to cut the middle men out and just have sleepers move onto running a local "Liberal Party" organization, with the strength of the sleeper's power over the Liberal Party dependent on how much he already infilitrated before.

I need to know what I should do to jury-rig this new change where infiliration is already fixed.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 07:54:37 pm »

I really like the idea, Mr. Fox. However, there should be some way to both upgrade and downgrade sleepers.

It should be difficult to upgrade and easy to downgrade.

Maybe keep the "promote conservatism" which translates to them acting like a mindless drone but just being harder to actually upgrade. On the flipside on a level above "known liberal" there should be risks associated with the actions that might "out them"

So a "known conservative+" might be able to expose/cause a scandal, but there's a backfire risk where his connection to the LCS is figured out and the dramatic reveal drops him to "known liberal" but doesn't actually effect the issues, maybe even negatively impact the issues for a particularly disasterous flop.

Maybe cap it so that a known liberal can at best become a moderate (spying and stealing level) as conservatives won't ever fully trust someone not in the old boy's club. This would make the actual arch-conservative sleepers even more valuable because they're so hard to get.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach
Pages: 1 [2]