Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Little Ideas-Request for Comment  (Read 7035 times)

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Little Ideas-Request for Comment
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2009, 06:01:17 pm »

What if, when you expose the CCS contact, the Conservative sections of the government pull a coup?
Something very similiar to that could happen; the revelation of such clandestine, undemocratic machinations operating straight out of the United States Congress would be an excellent cue for Jonathan's planned 'Radical Moderates' to take the reigns and purge the ideological corruption of the system. But that is a whole new game phase, and will probably have to wait until the underlying gameplay (national operations, more intricate CCS) is solid and proven.

Maybe there should only be a random chance of them stepping in. Some games could run their natural course without any outside intervention, but you'd always have to be wary of them and maintain good contacts within the military. Or they could be switched on/off during the name entry/character creation phase of each game, but I could imagine that being too easy and boring.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2009, 06:48:35 pm »

I assume the Radical Moderates are the sane portions of the government and military?

What arc are we in right now? What is Fox focusing on?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2009, 06:57:01 pm »

Until the next release, I think he's just implementing stuff here and there, as his mood/free time allows. After that, all bets are off.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2009, 11:35:10 pm »

I assume the Radical Moderates are the sane portions of the government and military?

Uh...no.

They're moderate, but overly so.  While they may stand for idealogy that most of us would consider sane, their methods certainly are not.

From what I gather, the Radical Moderates essentially will take over the country, establish martial law, and fix all laws at the moderate level, essentially forcing a permenant compromise on all issues.

The Country will be balanced, but not truly free.  At least that's what I gathered.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2009, 11:36:16 pm »

What would happen after that?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2009, 11:42:13 pm »

From the standpoint of the LCS, they have from the takeover of the Radical Moderates to the total legalization of the actions of the Radical Moderates to overthrow the new regeme, otherwise the game is over.

So I recall.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2009, 11:43:58 pm »

I think the goal of the LCS is to gain enough popular support so that, when the military actually launch free and fair elections, the Elite Liberals are able to sweep the board, and thus remake the country in their image.

That, or kill the military general running the Radical Moderates. Either way really.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2009, 11:54:11 pm »

That's about how I was seeing it -- the "Radical Moderates" aren't trying to run a dictatorship, they're just trying to save the country from you. They're arguably the most sane people there, and they're the point where the normal people finally step and say enough is enough. Cementing your victory comes by putting enough public pressure on them to force them to hold elections which you proceed to win... or I guess a violent assault on the headquarters could force them to collapse and install the leader of the LCS as liberator in chief bound to win the elections that follow.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2009, 12:00:26 am »

Thanks for posting Jonathan, I tried finding your original post on this, but was unsuccessful.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2009, 12:02:26 am »

The third one should start with society being fairly moderate and a decentralized, unsponsored CCS.

For the record, the paramiltary-militia-PP list was not meant to be hard-medium-easy. Frankly, all have strengths and weaknesses; the gov't-sponsored paras would start off strong and well-equipped, but would be crippled by leftward shifts in government, and would have members with the lowest morale of the three. The militia- and PP-style CCS would largely ignore changes in government, and might even grow stronger in terms of recruitment and morale as the country became more leftist, but would lack the initial resources and might suffer from some noticeable degree of police interference under all sorts of governments. The main difficulty of a decentralized CCS, especially one along the lines of a PP is that they'd be hard to find and extremely resistant to turning; a paramilitary is probably an ex-agent or soldier who's looking to earn a living in the CCS while making the country a better place, but for a militia or PP member, the CCS would be a sacred way of life.

Still, you could use such models to shift difficulty around: use paramilitary squads for a strong early challenge that shrivels as you turn the country; militia for one that starts moderately strong and stays stead throughout; or a decentralized CCS that starts off undetectably small but slowly and silently grows into a true counterpoint to the LCS unless enormous resources are devoted to rooting it out and eliminating it. Early challenge, tapering off at the end, consistent challenge, or escalating challenge.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2009, 12:23:51 am »

Here's something I wonder, altough it will likely not be implemented because people want to disband.

The CCS in a C+ society would be very weak. After all, society is a C+ utopia. Why fight? Most of the CCS has disbanded, just waiting for the Arch-Conservative amendment to get passed.

The CCS in an L+ society on the other hand? Every Conservative and their capitalist dog would be worried about the rise of Elite Liberalism, and would be desperate about avoiding Liberal tyranny. Since most society has already been brainwashed by FM Radio and Network News, the Conservatives have to leap into action and save the US from itself. Even the Conservative Party would seriously consider throwing their campagin donations to the CCS, that worried they are about Liberal tyranny.

Basically, the more liberal the society, the more violent Conservative resistance would be, and hence, the stronger the CCS. Okay, so it might make no sense, but it was part of Stalin's view of class conflict...as society turns more communist, the reactionaries will strive even harder to turn society back.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2009, 12:47:21 am »

The Moderate Crime Squad/ Military/ shadow government/ ect, sounds like an awesome end-game thing to impliment.

Most people in general are resistant to change and can see the bad aspects of just about everything. People are pessimistic, and generally have a healthy paranoia, especially when it comes to governments. I think a 3rd party force that acts against swings from the moderate in policies in a harsh, ideally violent manner would be awesome.

Then again, a significant moderate force would kinda kill the humor part of the game. The bi-polar conservative vs liberal war and you are either one of us or you are the enemy! sort of thing is part of the appeal of the game.

That said, the only suggestion that comes to mind is: Just rename the .22 revolver to .38 revolver so I think straight while playing the game.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2009, 10:38:41 am »

Then again, a significant moderate force would kinda kill the humor part of the game. The bi-polar conservative vs liberal war and you are either one of us or you are the enemy! sort of thing is part of the appeal of the game.

But, note that you can only affect a couple of issues at a time. The game itself models swing voters who are for abortion but against gay rights, or for freedom of speech but against labor laws.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2009, 07:10:47 pm »

Here's something I wonder, altough it will likely not be implemented because people want to disband.

The CCS in a C+ society would be very weak. After all, society is a C+ utopia. Why fight? Most of the CCS has disbanded, just waiting for the Arch-Conservative amendment to get passed.

The CCS in an L+ society on the other hand? Every Conservative and their capitalist dog would be worried about the rise of Elite Liberalism, and would be desperate about avoiding Liberal tyranny. Since most society has already been brainwashed by FM Radio and Network News, the Conservatives have to leap into action and save the US from itself. Even the Conservative Party would seriously consider throwing their campagin donations to the CCS, that worried they are about Liberal tyranny.

Basically, the more liberal the society, the more violent Conservative resistance would be, and hence, the stronger the CCS. Okay, so it might make no sense, but it was part of Stalin's view of class conflict...as society turns more communist, the reactionaries will strive even harder to turn society back.

LCS starts off with a single Liberal being afraid of the Conservatives taking over the government.  The conservatives are already in charge.  So, what your propose makes perfect sense, in relation to the game.

Also, I think the CCS type selector should be different from the difficulty level.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2009, 07:45:33 pm »

CCS complacency certainly would be nice since a conservative country is so much more dangerous then a liberal country.

I think that in a liberal country though, the CCS doesn't grow stronger so much as desperate.  They'll attempt something big and dramatic in an attempt to prevent the liberal agenda, the assassination of pols, etc.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]