Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: The War Engine (+ VN War Mod)  (Read 13716 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: The War Engine (+ VN War Mod)
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2009, 02:07:36 am »

Oh man, it was going fine till the bikes came... Next time I think I might try to group my men together and see if that helps any.

Also is it just me or the Motor team has no mortar? In any case the Mortar PK and the Officer are VITAL.

Gonna finish up collecting sounds soon, possibly find a few unit portraits too.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2009, 08:13:44 am »

Anyways, I know this game, it's pretty cool. It has some vanilla mods, including a fantasy themed mod.

Wow, somebody else who heard of the War Engine?  Where did you find it?

Well, it was mentioned on the Shrapnel Games Dominions III. forum..this happened a couple of years ago. I really liked the fantasy themed mod. :)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2009, 10:52:58 am »

Oh man, it was going fine till the bikes came... Next time I think I might try to group my men together and see if that helps any.

Also is it just me or the Motor team has no mortar? In any case the Mortar PK and the Officer are VITAL.

Gonna finish up collecting sounds soon, possibly find a few unit portraits too.
You have to have the mortar team dug in to use the mortar.

I didn't finish playing through it.  I survived the first wave of bikes, but by that time most of my ammo was gone.  I'll see if I can finish it tonight.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2009, 11:12:12 am »

Hmm... needs a MegaTurd Battle Hobo.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2009, 01:41:10 pm »

I got an idea for my unit... hee hee... I'm able to turn enemies on their heads, and they explode messily.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2009, 02:22:37 pm »

Hmmm... so during the Other Games war, what would the Forces of Nonsense consist off?  I'm thinking of doing scenarios of the early battles, but I don't really know who we'd have on our side.

EDIT: besides BEEEEEES, I've already got them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:27:59 pm by Karlito »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2009, 02:48:41 pm »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2009, 03:21:41 pm »

All right, before I get back to sound hunting I'm trying it again. I THINK I can win it if I can gather all the troopers in a better defensive position. The building in the upper left seems ideal for this purpose.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2009, 03:45:50 pm »

Btw, I also played TWE before. I played it because of piracy. At the time I was looking into something unusual, and spotted a pirate CD collection of games related to... paintball. There were numeous things, from HL mods to full-on simulators, and among them, for some inconceivable reason, TWE. The reason is probably that it has a paintball mod in it. I've had some fun with it, though it didn't last long. Especially interesting was its simulation of vehicles - it strikes me now that no TBS I heard of has ever incorporated anything of the sort into its gameplay, instead choosing not to have vehicle physics or omitting vehicles entirely.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2009, 03:50:53 pm »

Here's the topic.

Yes, I already read through it again, and didn't get much.  What kind of troops do you think the Protectorate would have used?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2009, 04:51:47 pm »

Okay, I finally got around to actually playtesting my mission.  It was pretty harrowing until reinforcement, just as I hoped.

The teams in the lower buildings fought off zombies quite handily, mostly because I wrote the scenario so I knew where they'd come from.  A couple worrying moments when guys were wounded or the mortar team had to reload, but I didn't lose anybody.

Then the bikes showed up.

A lot of really crap shooting doomed the north building.  The officer was the first casualty, cut down after two turns dueling with bikers who came through the walls.  Flame wagons got most of the others.  After just a couple turns, the only guy left was a Panzerklein.  Not the one that started up there either, the one from the southeast - he'd been wounded on the third turn, and still marched all the around the catwalk up to the other corner.  He held up the whole invasion for four turns before he died after shooting his last round.

Meanwhile, the gunner and soldat teams in the southwest had nearly twenty kills each holding their corner unscathed, despite a biker that crashed through the window and survived being shot in the face for two turns.  Of course nobody would have survived without the Panzerarbeiter.  When the reinforcements arrived, I rolled them up just fine.  Then the program crashed on turn 26.

Some tips for people new to the program who are having trouble:
Units can charge (based on their endurance), which lets them move farther, but some weapons can't be fired then.
Units which don't move can be put on Overwatch in the targeting phase.  Unlike X-COM, there's no Reaction system - if an Overwatch unit sees an enemy, they shoot at it.
Units can pick up ammo - that's the trash laying around on the floor.  Right-click the terrain to see what it is.  Picking stuff up take a lot of movement points.  The mortar fires grenades, and all bullets are the same.  The one problem with this is the MG-42 - if the unit's Mauser isn't full, it'll reload that first.

Things I've learned:
Panzershreks were completely useless - I didn't see them do damage to anything even once.  I don't know what's wrong with them, but I'll test it.
MG-42s are similarly useless, they're damaging enough, but need to fire more.
The officer is also useless, as an officer anyway.  The game gives a morale bonus to every unit that sees an enemy die, and they stack and don't go away.  By the third turn, every soldier has maxed morale, and never comes down again.  There's no way to edit this, the program just isn't built for horde battles.
The Panzerarbieter is actually bugged - it's mortar has 50 rounds, because it shares a stance with the Panzerklein.  It needs it's own mobile weapon anyway, so I'll deal with that next.

Still putting together ideas for more units, people, etc.  Obviously, exploring the engine first so you what's possible is recommended.  I was thinking BEES could work as a weapon - I'd replace the Etheral graphics, so it would be like a flamethrower of BEES.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 04:54:13 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2009, 05:13:01 pm »

Heh. Managed to win I think after getting everyone to cover the north building. I think the Panzerfausts need work like Aqizzar said... They were horribly ineffective, the MG42s worked wonders on the flame wagons and bikers though.

Anyway, I need to get some Keron sound effects.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:20:54 pm by Sniper Joe »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2009, 07:09:03 pm »

After editing in Paint.net, I have yet to make an alright-looking human from above with a western hat. Curses! I might just have to remain a duck. Or a green U.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2009, 07:13:24 pm »

The funny part is, there is a setting for making the graphics tiled instead of top down - like a Dwarf Fortress graphic pack, so everything just holds a static look instead of rotating.  Unfortunately, it's all or nothing, you can't combine them.  At least not in the same scenario.

I'm thinking of there being certain campaign missions where it turns into a full scale war map, or a fleet engagement or something, with little tile markers.  Like when the Battle Fortress goes on the offensive.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2009, 07:15:35 pm »

Dwarf Fortress ASCII.

This must be done.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8