Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Hospital!  (Read 31021 times)

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Hospital!
« on: March 21, 2009, 06:10:55 am »

I know this probably isn't worthy of making a thread, but...

*sniff*.. dwarf hospital... so... much... win...

Seriously, anything better than a rudamentary "heal dwarf" skill will make me cry myself to sleep with joy of pure awesomeness.

asper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Hospital!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 06:45:48 am »

Go read the latest developments.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 07:08:15 am »

Yeah. I hope this means that we'll get some real information about how recovery is going. Or not going.
!!&!!

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 07:28:42 am »

Yeah, I read that, that's why I'm so thinking this is going to be awesome.

Hopefully the system is complex enough such that I can devote an entire wing of my fortress as "medical", and have half a dozen dwarves as hospital staff.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 07:35:51 am »

I'm just glad that the days of "OH A SPARRING INJURY HAS MANGLED MY TOE I MUST LIE IN BED FOR THREE YEARS" are over. Now it'll be

"Doc, I lost another finger"
"Have a bandaid"
"K. Whee!" *runs off to play axe-ball with his friends*
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:36:09 am »

According to the dev log, a splint applied to a broken arm, will allow the wounded dwarf to go back to work and use the other arm for swinging a pick or what have you. It looks like some injuries will be "treat and release" so the dwarf can just be on light duty and at the very minimum, can actually feed themselves and get a drink even if they are hobbling around on crutches.

I gotta say thats a vast improvement from the usual "lay in bed for 3 years" and the lakes of fresh water wounded dwarves consume. No more champions dying of thirst because they bruised their arm and all the ponds have been dried up.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 07:40:03 am »

Yeah, seriously. I had a dwarf laying in bed after a sparring accident bruised his hand. He wasn't even flashing a red or yellow cross. Just sleeping.
!!&!!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 07:45:19 am »

I love how in the dry run, the doctor inspected himself instead of the patient.  "Well, I don't know about you, but I feel great!  Buck up me'boy, it's too nice a day to sulk about."

But yes, this is totally awesome.  With all this new room/item/worker/skills interaction going on, healthcare will be the new cornerstone industry of dwarf fortresses for a while.  Can't wait to see it all extended out to other jobs, but for now, DF is going to look a lot like Theme Hospital.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 07:49:29 am »

I'm just glad that the days of "OH A SPARRING INJURY HAS MANGLED MY TOE I MUST LIE IN BED FOR THREE YEARS" are over.

Don't count that out so soon. Wait until welfare fraud is implemented :P

But anyway, man, if he does it detailed enough, with infections, medications (come from plants I guess?), that would be infinitely hardcore. Hopefully he'll make it realistic and not some pseudo-fake commical thing.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 08:53:45 am »

I'm guessing that the extracts like Golden Salve and Gnomeblight and those otherwise currently useless trade goods will have a purpose with the new healthcare tasks.

I'm thinking a stack of liquor would be useful in some applications too.  After all, doctors back in the olde dayes sure seemed to like to prescribe everybody a lot "medicinal" brandy. It balances out your humors, you know.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 08:59:12 am »

Maybe it'll give enough reason to make mercury harvestable. Was used to cure all sorts of diseases.
!!&!!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 09:19:22 am »

Yeah, I read that, that's why I'm so thinking this is going to be awesome.

Hopefully the system is complex enough such that I can devote an entire wing of my fortress as "medical", and have half a dozen dwarves as hospital staff.

You should be able to do that, since hospitals will be "zone based".

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 01:23:41 pm »

Way, way down the line, it would be interesting to see dwarves or other races come up with the idea of medical tourism.  If your fortress really does have good medical services, then the village that grows up around it might send their badly wounded people up for care...  And eventually, even a local human lord might decide he'd rather come to your fortress for help than risk his local doctors.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 01:52:27 pm »

And eventually, even a local human lord might decide he'd rather come to your fortress for help than risk his local doctors.

We've looked you over and it seems you're suffering from a pituitary imbalance that's caused you to grow to six feet. You also have too much blood in your alcohol system. We're prescribing three years of bed rest and cutting off everything below the knee.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Overkill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 01:58:32 pm »

And eventually, even a local human lord might decide he'd rather come to your fortress for help than risk his local doctors.

We've looked you over and it seems you're suffering from a pituitary imbalance that's caused you to grow to six feet. You also have too much blood in your alcohol system. We're prescribing three years of bed rest and cutting off everything below the knee.

ROFL.

I lol'd irl.

Yeah, this is going to be awesome.
"Surely this will end in tears and tantrum spirals!" -Overkill
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7