Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Melting coins dupes metal  (Read 1910 times)

Shandrunn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[40d] Melting coins dupes metal
« on: March 22, 2009, 02:56:09 pm »

I've become sick of the coinsplosion cluttering up my fortress, so I've started melting them down.
The full stacks of 500 coins were the first to be melted, and they gave 1 bar per stack. All fine and proper. The small stacks and single coins on the other hand are giving way more than they should. A bar comes out every tenth stack or so, it can't possibly be more than 50 coins. If this keeps up, I'll end up with stockpiles full of gold, silver and copper.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Melting coins dupes metal
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 03:10:32 pm »

It's the same with metal bolts.  It's fairly well known already, although it should be harder to pull off with coins since those actually get claimed.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Melting coins dupes metal
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:22:35 pm »

Material size gets handled kind of loosely post-creation. It will always require x bars to produce an object, determined by the object type's material_size token, and I had thought the same was true in reverse for melting down objects (you receive either 1/3 or 30% of the object's material_size as reclaimed metal, and any modulus remains in the 'memory' of the building that processed it) -- this becomes a problem with stackable metal objects (bolts and coins) because once the stack splits up, the material_size info isn't passed properly to the new stacks--they all still think "i am a stack of iron bolts" or "I am a coins" rather than "I am a bolt" or "I am a few coins" :>
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.