Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]

Author Topic: Site with literrally every feature!!! Look inside to find dwarf heaven!  (Read 86242 times)

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
Re: Site with literrally every feature!!! Look inside to find dwarf heaven!
« Reply #525 on: February 14, 2010, 06:05:31 pm »

Apologies for the double post, but....if you wait too long during world gen, kobolds may settle on the site...they want Dwarf Heaven for their own! Dirty little lizardy things :/
Well, this page deserves a bump as well.
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Hazelnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 22, 2010, 10:42:27 am »

Hi everyone, I've been playing DF for 3 weeks now after seeing Flarechannel. I played a 7 year fort largly following TinyPirate's tutorial which was a lot of fun. I diverged a lot, and after 7 years there's no challenge left, with my kill pit trap I created - so I got bored. Decided to play another fort and genned a world, spent 15-20 hours before realising the embark has no bauxite, flux, sand and only 10 small veins of iron. Although I'd started the project (megaproject to me, not sure vets would agree - we'll see what you all think when I'm done) when I saw this thread I simply had to use this map.

I tried genning myself with d16 and got crap, so I just downloaded the region save someone posted, from vanilla DF and embarked in my excitement. It's very cool, and I was lucky to arrive near the brook and away from danger. My project is going well, although I'm concerned about not finding iron and only a small amount of flux. I even had a great trap 'o doom idea that follows the project theme perfectly and spent the last 4 days prototyping it on my first fort since it's so stable & safe. (I'll post more about the project before it's finished if anyone's interested, but I assume since this is only my 3rd fort [and a re-do of the aborted 2nd] it might be a bit pedestrian for here)

Anyway, back to my point, I had intended to use the Orc mod (or something) to avoid things getting boring like in my first fort, where goblin sieges are yawn worthy. I'm now 30+ hours into my project and things are going well. It's only first year in game, so much time tracing out the circles I need which is a complete arse across multiple z levels. So, I don't want to start a third time. But I don't want to have no worthy foes - especially for my planned death trap. I know I have GCS's & HFS, but what I really want is hard sieges or megabeasts. Or both. Fun basically. :)

So, what are my options? What mods or hacking or anything can I do to enable this without having to regen and start again? I'd appreciate the help, so I can enjoy heaven to its fullest. I suspect it'll be the last I play before the 2010 Df is released.

P.S. Struggled for ages with 7 dwarves, got migrants eventually. 19 in fact - brilliant. Right, now where are they arriving. What!! To the right of the top of the chasm? WTF. Within 10 squares of a CGS and 3 ratmen. Facepalm. Okay, so maybe the ratmen and GCS will keep each other busy? What, they're friends?? When did that happen? Ohhh, this is not going well... 10 made it to my fort. I then realised that I was about to lose 3-4 of my original 7 dorfs who were 80% of the way over to the chasm to pick up the stuff I forgot about forbidding. D'oh. I reloaded the backup I made when the migrants arrived and tried not to screw up. Saved 12 this time. :)  Why there though - it's a 6x6 embark FFS there's a lot of other places to arrive, still I should be thankful that the caravan was okay.

P.S. One more thing - can a square with down stairs support adjacent grates? I'll experiment tonight, but at work right now and curiosity is killing me... ;)  EDIT: yes you can - great for a magma drain system. :D  (although the downside is the flashing, is there a way to stop this either locally or globally?)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:28:10 pm by Hazelnut »

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 09, 2010, 02:05:30 pm »

Above poster: Not sure about the flashing thing, I wonder that too... However, next time an elf or human caravan arrives, arrange for them to have an 'accident'... Ballistae work well. The relevant civilisation will siege you. They are VERY different from the mindless goblin charges. Humans will set up camp outside and kill anyone who comes out, while Elves enter the map sneaking, which is Fun... Good luck ;)
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 09, 2010, 03:34:12 pm »

Btw, where is the flux?
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #529 on: March 09, 2010, 03:50:18 pm »

P.S. One more thing - can a square with down stairs support adjacent grates? I'll experiment tonight, but at work right now and curiosity is killing me... ;)  EDIT: yes you can - great for a magma drain system. :D  (although the downside is the flashing, is there a way to stop this either locally or globally?)
Err, which flashing? There's flashing if you put a grate directly on top of the down stairs, but why would you do that?

If you mark the items that a building is built out of 'hidden', then the building is hidden (and so won't flash with other things.) Does that help?

Kreiger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 23, 2010, 09:20:47 pm »

Dumb question from a newbie here:

What makes this site so special?  From what I can see, the only things this map has over the map i'm playing now is that it has sand and a bottomless pit and mine doesnt.  Underground river too, i suppose, but I wasn't planning on using one in my current setup so it's not big loss..  So is the fact that all those AND a chasm AND a magma pipe what makes it so special?

I guess i'm missing something.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 23, 2010, 09:39:01 pm »

Dumb question from a newbie here:

What makes this site so special?  From what I can see, the only things this map has over the map i'm playing now is that it has sand and a bottomless pit and mine doesnt.  Underground river too, i suppose, but I wasn't planning on using one in my current setup so it's not big loss..  So is the fact that all those AND a chasm AND a magma pipe what makes it so special?

I guess i'm missing something.
When genned in vanilla 40d, it has every feature possible, and also great amounts of mineral wealth, all arranged in a pretty awesome way.

So basically, it has everything you need for any kind of megaproject.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 26, 2010, 06:34:54 pm »

Huh, I have a really nice seed which can gen sites like this 3 out of 5 times. (I use the Dig Dwarfier mod, in advance) I'm currently playing on a map with white sand, a Magma pipe, Chasm, Bottomless pit, Underground river, Underground lake visible from embark due to a small lucky hole, Adamantine, and the usual brook. It's also untamed wilds and I've seen a few giant eagles. Since the underground lake is open, my soil areas underground have tower caps popping up. The site is also amazingly rich in minerals. I saw many visible Blackmetal veins on the mountain and when I was making tunnels to find my chasm, I found a huge Gold vein, some Blackmetal, and even some Mithril (Mithril is added in the Dig Dwarfier mod. I think its the second most valuable metal in the game, after Adamantine.) Also, it has plenty of obsidian for making short swords, and some granite for making an anvil, although I already bought one (The granite anvil reaction was also added in the Dig Dwarfier mod). Not to mention the areas over the Bottomless pit and Magma pipe looked like an obsidian cap like when a magma source is on the surface in a freezing biome, allowing me to easily find them.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder if it's still possible to gen this site with newer versions of the game.  If not, it might be worth it to see if at all possible to gen a new site with every possible (new and old) feature in the game.  In the past, I enjoyed this site despite how dangerous it was.  Mostly, 'cause of the Unique layout and possibility of constructions.

It'd be a shame for such a wonderful site to vanish forever.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nope, that's not possible in any way, not even importing the old map into the new version. Too many things have changed between the versions.
In the current v31, almost every site has all the features, so there's no need to gen some kind of "dwarf heaven". The only things, you might want to look for are volcanoes and hidden swords somewhere deep below, but they're rather easy to find... Magma pipes, underground pools and rivers, the old HFS - it's all gone for good now.

...and resurrecting a thread that has been dead for a year is generally not liked in forums. Just sayin'.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, you'll just have to excuse that.  I had the topic bookmarked and seen that nobody had replied to it saying that it was no longer able to be genned.  So, I just asked.  Now that I know it can't, I'm going to delete it from my favorites and move on.

I was just hoping that I could at least gen the surface area.  But oh well.

Thanks for the help!
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]