Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bringing in the noise. Unfortunately, very little funk.  (Read 1132 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Bringing in the noise. Unfortunately, very little funk.
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:40:54 pm »

So, for quite a while my synthesizer has been sitting pretty at the church where I tend to play it. Before I took it there I wasn't exactly good at getting it to sound exactly how I wanted it, but because the group that comes out Wednesday don't mind me drifting into things that aren't supporting the pianist I have been able to find some... rather interesting things.

Now that I've taken my guitars over there instead, my synth is sitting pretty right next to my computer.  :)

So I was sitting around, experimenting with some different sounds and I came upon something that just screamed at me. Literally, unfortunately. I need to learn to turn my amp down a tad when applying distortion... Anyway!

I put my mic to my amp, and started recording some stuff just to see how it would turn out. It sounds... well... You'll get to hear it in a minute!

Does That Sound Like Magma To You? [MP3] (less than 2 MB)

Alternative download sites will be considered, and if the link goes down (and you want to hear it) tell me so I can put it back up again. It will go down.

To complaints about quality: There is little I can do about that right now. Sorry.

I welcome any other complaints though. Non-complaint comments are always welcome too! ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:44:24 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing in the noise. Unfortunately, very little funk.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 03:56:45 am »

That was actually pretty cool. It sounds pretty industrious, like dwarves working around a magma forge, especially when you color my impressions with the name you gave it. Were you trying to make any sort of melody or were you just sort of messing around for a little bit?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing in the noise. Unfortunately, very little funk.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 06:10:14 am »

The first 0:45 is me figuring out what a couple of different chords sound like and having only the roughest idea of what i was doing. The rest is my expansion on those chords in an improvised fashion.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /