Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you read stories/download text-based games from a developer called 'Immergence'?

Yes: It sounds pretty cool and I can pick up inferences in it.
- 2 (20%)
Yes:  It doesn't sound wrong (enough to make me not click through), though things like site design would be more important.
- 3 (30%)
No:  I don't really get the name and that puts me off enough not to visit this site.
- 3 (30%)
No:  It sounds a bit too pretentious.
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Thinking on a Name...  (Read 1239 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thinking on a Name...
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:12:39 pm »

Trying to think through some names for a fiction/text-based game site* and doing a little bit of market research, so to speak.  After a bit of brainstorming, settled on a name and curious as to how it strikes people.

If anyone really wants I can post a bit of sample fiction, but it will be a while before I can get anything working in a game sense.

*Learning very, very basic Python, but a lot more experience writing than coding.  I'll just keep plugging at it until I'm good.  However long that may take.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking on a Name...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:56:08 pm »

As self-diagnosed with OCD, I am bothered by things that aren't spelled right, or very clearly a composite of two or more words. I see the possibility of Immersion and Emergence, but it's just fuzzy enough of a distinction to make the name annoying to me.

However, that is a gut reaction, and not the one I would make logically. If linked it by a friend, I would probably briefly make fun of the name, before checking it out. Also, good luck in your programming endeavors!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:57:56 pm by Solifuge »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:18:40 pm »

The name strikes me as odd, though I can't say exactly what makes me think that. It's probably because it doesn't seem to be an "immersion+emergence", but rather the opposite of "emergence", the same way there's immigration and emigration. I can't say I value naming much though, judging the book by the cover is not something I usually practice.

Btw, a poll option is missing for that - "Yes. It doesn't sound quite right, but it isn't enough to put me off, provided the actual products are worthwhile."

On a slightly relevant note - there's this game, Space Rangers 2, that has text adventure games in various points throughout its cosmos. There's an utility for making these text adventures, with pretty broad possibilities (in the game, the adventures can be anything from pizza contests to bombing raids to ski resort tycoons). Maybe you could take a look at it?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:21:52 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:37:51 pm »

Names are important, but the production of the actual games are even more important. I mean, I am willing to tolerate any lame name as long they produce good free games that everyone likes.

Which is good because I didn't really...er...like that Name? If you really like a name to impress people, how about just...Emergence? Or maybe "Iituem's Games"?

*Learning very, very basic Python, but a lot more experience writing than coding.  I'll just keep plugging at it until I'm good.  However long that may take.

Er. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

If you like writing text-based game sites, you might want to try QML. Quest Markup Language. The engine is free, and all games you make can be sold.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:40:29 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:57:22 pm »

Funnily enough, it's an actual word and a synonym of immersion.  But I'll admit, the more I repeat it the less I get fond of it too.  I'll stick with my plain old name (as any small trader should) and spend my energy actually writing instead.   :D

P.S. My chickens haven't even been conceived yet, haha.  That said, I've been learning it for 3-4 weeks now and it seems to be sticking.  I'm sort of enjoying the lengthy debugging processes (or rather, managing to debug them full stop), so it can't be too bad.  I figure it'll be a year before I have anything worthwhile to show for it (and three years 'til competency, eight years 'til I'm worth my salt), but in the mean time I'm enjoying it and it's primarily an acessory to writing.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 12:56:39 am »

If you're going to be developing text-based games then it'd make more sense to use Inform 6, Inform 7, or TADS. No sense reinventing the wheel.