Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Impending full-fortress mass evictions...  (Read 9726 times)

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Impending full-fortress mass evictions...
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 02:32:31 pm »

Yup.  May take a bit of work to do that though.

...unless you want a bunch of legendary pump operators, that is.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 02:54:09 pm »

If you want the economy on, but you don't want your dwarves to pay any rent, go into the init file and change ZERO_RENT from NO to YES.
I feel ignored.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 03:23:58 pm »

I didn't ignore you.  I was giving an option that didn't involve modding.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 03:32:46 pm »

I didn't ignore you.  I was giving an option that didn't involve modding.
Aaaaah, now i see where this is going. Sorry 'bout that.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 04:15:02 pm »

Aside from pump operating, siege engineers are also a good way to train up dwarves, especially if you have a lot of stone that needs to be used up. The other main benefit of using catapults is that you don't get spammed with job cancellations from dwarves becoming exhausted.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 04:29:48 pm »

This just in: Turning on partial print decreed to be modding. Players who don't want to mod the game plan to protest, but it may take a while, as they are proceeding at 6 fps.

I can sort of understand not wanting to turn the economy off or set zero rent, but it's just silly to say that setting an init option is modding the game.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 04:32:18 pm by Kanddak »
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 05:23:45 pm »

Legendary pump operators aren't half shabby. The stat upgrades they get mean they can get legendary in other jobs a lot faster.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 05:30:11 pm »

There's nothing wrong with modding at all.

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 05:36:36 pm »

This just in: Turning on partial print decreed to be modding. Players who don't want to mod the game plan to protest, but it may take a while, as they are proceeding at 6 fps.

I can sort of understand not wanting to turn the economy off or set zero rent, but it's just silly to say that setting an init option is modding the game.

In other news, angry purist gamers reported that changing a single value in options to be modding as well. Public shoot-outs between purists and modders have been reported. The whole world is in a state of chaos.

The Purist Campaign Supervisor Urist McPurist declared that ANY change to the options, regardless if it's available in-game or not, is a great disrespect to the sacred code. In his speech, McPurist also labeled people who use operating systems other than his as filthy heretics, and openly threatened people using different browsers.

And in meteorology, HUGE sarcasm rain tonight.
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 05:52:58 pm »

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

I think of it more as being like the Sub-Prime mortgage crisis. To the extreme.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 06:15:51 pm »

Actually, it's just a matter of time before A)Poison Ivy is modded in, and B)Someone tries to cook it.
It's practically a certainty now that the challenge has been thrown down, I think.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 06:49:34 pm »

Poison Ivy Roasts will have to wait until poison effects are added to the base code though -- and it has been added, so just a matter of waiting for the next release. Yay. :)

Personally I don't consider changing an init option to be modding, those options are there for us to tweak at will. But, the original poster already said he doesn't want to turn on no_rent because it would be an 'artificial' fix to the problem. Personally I'd just call it subsidized housing for workers, which might seem too modern of a concept for a 'medieval fantasy' kind of game.

But it doesn't make anymore sense to give free housing to legendary speakers or pump operators, especially in a fort where /everyone/ is legendary. Then again it makes no sense to charge massive rent when 90% of rooms are of great quality. Until a more dramatic  supply-demand system (which will probably have its own share of inherent difficulties) is in place, I think no_rent is a viable option.

I really don't think turning off rent is the same as modding in cats that crap adamantine bars.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:52:13 pm by Stromko »

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 07:04:39 pm »

I really don't think turning off rent is the same as modding in cats that crap adamantine bars.
Nonono, cats that give birth to adamantine kittens in litters of 8 or more.

grendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 07:14:32 pm »

Aside from pump operating, siege engineers are also a good way to train up dwarfs, especially if you have a lot of stone that needs to be used up. The other main benefit of using catapults is that you don't get spammed with job cancellations from dwarfs becoming exhausted.

Catapults tend to be my dwarf welfare machines as well. Pumps tend to spam exhaustion announcements which I don't like. my dwarfs tend to stay homeless and live in the barracks, and i use legendary dining and food with a gaudy statue garden to my dwarfs happy.It helps keep Urist from being sad about wasting all that time in soapmaking school. Either that or I have a massive military of 80 percent of the fortress population.
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

24 felsite is bring you baby to repel the goblin siege day.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 08:49:04 pm »

Alright, that's a lot of ideas.  But umm...

About the catapults: does it destroy the stone when it's fired, or no? because if it didn't, then my masons and stonecrafters and mechanics will constantly be running out to grab some stone from the catapult firing range, only to come back with half a dozen broken bones and damaged organs.

About the economy: I know it isn't perfect, but I feel like my wouldn't be a real Dwarf Fortress game if I used something that took out a core game aspect.

About the poison ivy: That would be nice, especially if it was kind of a dominant plant that takes over everything like ivies do IRL.  And considering some of the other things that dwarves eat/drink, it wouldn't be too bad.  I can even imagine myself drinking a nice glass of Ivy Wine.

About the pumps: Heh, not only do I not know how to make and use pumps, but wouldn't it be a better idea to have the dwarves that would be pumping to be mining out my new bedrooms instead?  and that way, they'd get legendary after a year or something, while there would be rooms for the immigrant dwarves that they wouldn't get kicked out of.

About the Purist-Modders War: I'm personally rooting for the modders, since I don't think modding the game is cheating.  I mean, adding content (like a civ mod or a texture pack) changes the game in a desirable way.  Sure it may not be the true Dwarf Fortress, but it's still fun and we play it for fun.  But on the other hand, a mod that takes out something (other than a bug or exploit), like the Zero Rent:Yes tag, just doesn't seem right to me.

About the adamantine kittens: If you melted them down, what would you get? Adamantine bars or Kitten bars?  Or both?

Anyway, thanks to all of you for the flood of replies! :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:54:34 pm by Zancor Mezoran »
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4