Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28

Author Topic: How to tell when someone is stupid...  (Read 35959 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell when someone is stupid...
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 05:56:33 pm »

*Cough* *Cough* *Fisher *Cough*

That's a joke, by the way.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 06:14:16 pm »

I just go by the content of their posts.  If I see several idiotic or no-content posts from a particular username, then I'm more likely to skip that person's posts or topics in the future.

I wish we'd get an "Ignore User" function on this board.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/12299
And no one ever read a Fisher's post ever again.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 06:51:06 pm »

Yes, you showed me that before, and I have it on my home computer.  But there's two other computers that I use to browse Bay12Games, and I'm not allowed to install or modify anything on either of them.  One of them even uses IE, and I don't know how (if) you can get Greasemonkey to work in IE.  If we had an "Ignore User" function, my settings would be tied to my account, not the computer I was on.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:14:03 pm by Bromor Neckbeard »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 08:12:04 pm »

Being fully confident in my own intelligence, wouldn't it be logical to say that anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 09:02:51 pm »

No. It would show that you lack the intellegence that would allow you to declare opposition idiots.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 10:16:32 pm »

I always considered someone stupid, ignorant, and worth skipping if they participate in an online community.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 10:18:29 pm »

I always considered someone stupid, ignorant, and worth skipping if they participate in an online community.
Hey, welcome to the club! We've got free cable.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 11:38:48 pm »

It is often difficult to tell whether somebody on the internet is "stupid". Principally, this concept of stupidity is subjective; additionally, try to separate stupidity from ignorance.

Taking someone's username/handle/whatever-you-want-to-call-it can perhaps sometimes lend helpful hints (e.g. being capable of correctly spelling "Valdemar Poulsen", let alone being aware of him, might automatically suggest someone of greater intellectual capacity than someone identifying themselves as "£$%^ToKiOhOtElRoXxOrS!!!1^$£"). Personally, I have seen more evidence to support inaluct's assertion that (in some cases, not all) users that add (typically suffix) numerals to their name are somewhat less intelligent than others—this isn't to say that value judgments based on an individual's username are to be encouraged (obviously?).
Strife26, you raise a valid point by stressing that the number in your username is unique to you for reasons other than every number preceeding it was taken (or that it indicates the year of your birth... "blondegurl89"... ugh), but I'm compelled to argue that some users prefer not to capitalise their screen names for similar reasons (e.g. as has been suggested, some find it more aesthetically-pleasing, or (not similarly, but still a factor for some) because case-sensitivity is not always enforced, and people can become attached to their usernames appearing in a particular format).

[edit: I can't believe I hacked all that out just to present my take on stupidity being suggested by username styles]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:40:33 pm by soup_alex »
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 12:07:41 am »

Ignorance to me usually implies stupidity. Being uninformed is one thing - deliberately shutting out the facts because you don't want to examine your preconceived beliefs is another; for example, creationism.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 12:22:36 am »

While we're just walking the line of flambait, if I'm to name anything specific, it's when people directly insult an ideology with no respect to any merit it may have that I smell stupidity.

JK people, JK ;D

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 12:26:50 am »

Ignorance to me usually implies stupidity. Being uninformed is one thing - deliberately shutting out the facts because you don't want to examine your preconceived beliefs is another; for example, creationism.
Uh-oh! (just kidding... I hope?)

I was about to disagree with you here, Jude, before I read beyond sentence number one.
Yes, it is important to distinguish between "uninformed-ness" and persistent, wilful/deliberate ignorance. Yes, ignorance of the latter type may well suggest stupidity.

Ponders the (ignorant, in the "uninformed" (or "forgetful"?!) sense) soup_alex: There ought to be distinct words for either particular type of ignorance.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 01:39:06 am »

If anything is worse, it's when the guy calling the other guy ignorant, is in-fact, ignorant himself. Rather common. Dismissing one's side just because it disagrees with yours. No matter how much evidence they pull up.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 01:48:16 am »

If you want to know if someone is stupid, just see if they have woose1 as their username.  :P j/k. I think...
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 09:10:56 am »

Stupid tends to be quite a subjective term, could we be furnished with a detailed definition?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28